tried the new stratheads today.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tried the new stratheads today.....

well, my fave local store down here has a couple of strathead Charvels..a red bullseye strat, and a graphic star.

i hate to say this...but those necks did not feel like a charvel to me. i didn't like either guitar. to be brutally honest, they felt cheap to me. just my honest opinion.

our local FMIC rep was there, and i gave him an EARFUL about stuff....like opening the logbooks, letting us order stratheads, etc etc etc. i've known him for years, so he let me ramble :-)

i was dissapointed in that bullseye. i really wanted it to be a good guitar. it sounded pretty good through the amp..but i didn't like the feel.

does anyone think these necks feel like a san dimas strathead neck from the early 80s???? am i way off base here?

$3000 for that red bullseye? do they think we are on drugs?
    [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: tried the new stratheads today.....

I am not sure that you want to go down this road. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      those necks did not feel like a charvel to me. i didn't like either guitar. to be brutally honest, they felt cheap to me. just my honest opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more Bobby,not even close!!

Comment

Not sure about the specific models you played, but I'm super happy with my black/white re-issue Bullseye from Guitar Express. It is very well crafted and cost much less than 3k!

Comment

The GX Bullseyes & the new pointies neck profiles are exactly right on!! Thread title says "new stratheads"!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I am not sure that you want to go down this road. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

oops...did i step into something here?

hey...i said the same thing to the rep. he's known me for over 10 years, so i'm honest with him. but it's not like they are worried about selling them. i guess the red bullseyes are a limited edition, and are already nearly gone?

i hope the pointy re-issues are better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Not at all Bobby,just not a popular opinion that you & I share,I think some may want to believe that these are something they're not!!

The new pointies are dead on accurate other than a few minor details,tuners,logoed pickups,etc.!!

From what I'm hearing the new stratheads will be corrected soon!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  oops...did i step into something here?

i hope the pointy re-issues are better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thorny issue, bro. IMHO, a good deal having to do with some of the early and most vocal proponents of this point of view were also biased j'offs with a hard-on against the company and/or were looking for any excuse to criticize and claim it was being "Fender-ized" since the buyout. Also much to do with what a "correct" strathead profile should feel like, since there were several.

And, yes, most will agree that the new pointies are dead on. Myself included.

(Edit: I clearly don't mean everyone with that point of view was a j'off. Just a few who shouted it loudly and often from the rooftops - before even playing one! Hopefully some good folks won't misinterpret that to mean themselves. Apologies in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Comment

Seems to me the only ones with wadded panties are the ones that own these Pat!!LOL!!

Comment

I agree, the new stratheads didnt live up to what i thought they'd play like.They look amazing but the neck profile was unlike any charvie i ever played.Cheap comes close to describing it.The gmw i had felt more like a S.D. then the new charvels do.Weird

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Well, I haven't played one yet, but I'm probably more in the other camp. Even though I don't own one! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I quite like my 25th as an instrument, plays ,sounds, looks, feels great. is it like my "real" stratheads.?....no....it is similar-ish...and i imagine somewhere out there is an old neck that is shaped similar to these new ones....but most certainly they feel nothing like our beloved originals with the lovely wide flat necks.
                          but my 25th rocks...and i am very close to sticking a floyd on it so it will be totally ripping.

now as far as my EVH strathead i had.....don't even get me started on the rubber band qualities of that friggin neck!!!! nor the lack of support from the "authorized" fender repair people who wouldn't do jackshit about it.
                          i hope they spent my money well, cuz they ain't getting no more of it...

only real Charvels for me in the future.

Comment

wow...i had no idea what an issue these guitars were/are....

oh well. like i said, i hve nothing against FMIC, still love charvel jackson, and want nothing but the best for the company. that's why i give them my honest feedback when i can. hopefully they listen....

maybe that's why that bullseye is still hanging on the wall.

Comment

As someone who has never played an original strathead, and only one SD pointy (and that was brief!), I can honestly say that I really like the neck on my 25th. I have 2 GMWs (and one on the way) and if the 25th only had a floyd, it'd be right up there in terms of feel and playability (OK, it was twice the price, but that's another issue!)

I appreciate that if I'd played a few stratheads, then I'd realise that the feel might be different, but at the moment, I love the guitar so I really don't care....

I guess a lot of this comes down to whether they were trying to appeal to old-school Charvel guys by replicating the feel of those classic guitars, or just make a decent, Ltd Edition guitar by today's standards.

Please realise that these are just my thoughts though so try to restrain the urge to have me shot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              Popular is not the same as good
                              Rare is not the same as valuable
                              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                              X