Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tried the new stratheads today.....

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems to me the only ones with wadded panties are the ones that own these Pat!!LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I seem to remember a debate about just the opposite a few months ago. i.e., The most vocal naysayers were all folks who had a vested interest in trying to maintain the value of their originals. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I suppose it's all in how you look at the issue. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Like most things in life, I'm sure there's some valid points on both sides of the aisle. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Much like Ford vs. Chevy, this one will never be resolved.

The bottom line for me (after owning many old ones), is that my 25th is as good a guitar as ANY of the old ones I ever had.

Comment

bobby - where did you see/play them? the 25th is not true to the shape/feel of an original. i own both. But, i do like my 25th and would not get rid if it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I remember a debate about just the opposite a few months ago. i.e., The most vocal naysayers were all folks who had a vested interest in trying to maintain the value of their originals. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I suppose it's all in how you look at the issue. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Like most things in life, I'm sure there's some valid points on both sides of the aisle. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true,I suppose it all depends on your perspective!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            bobby - where did you see/play them? the 25th is not true to the shape/feel of an original. i own both. But, i do like my 25th and would not get rid if it.

[/ QUOTE ]

MAE Music in Ft Lauderdale had both guitars...great store, BTW...

Comment

So I was lucky that I never got the retro star that I ordered? I was afraid that it was going to have a Fender neck stamped with a different logo.
              The only strathead prepro that I have tried felt, looked and sounded amazing. I really hope to find a charvel star one day.
              My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

As an owner of multiple new Charvels,(2 EVH's, Bullseye, Tele CS, etc...) I cannot compare them to the originals, because I didnt own or play guitars at that point. But I can say that I like mine. And that is not posturing.. I just like em. I guess it's kinda nice to not have that reference point. Now, when I hear people say they are cheap junk and dont feel good, thats just plain ridiculous, and IMHO, if I decided to donate a couple of them to someone who thought they sucked, I bet they would find their way clear to "slumming it" and playing them.

Shawn
                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

$3000 for that red bullseye? do they think we are on drugs?
                  [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby, $3k for the bullseye? Maybe list. But they sell in he $1900 range. I love mine, but to each his own. As far as the star, I hate stars, so its a moot point.

Shawn
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

i think that the wadded panties over this issue also, for me, are directed at those who say they're rebadged fender necks. THAT sends me off b/c that's a complete and utter load of shit. the only things that they have in common are that they're made of maple, have frets, and a similar (but not identical) headstock.

i don't have an old strathead to compare to the new ones, (nor do i care to) but the 25th that i've played (a few times) is very similar to a gmw strathead neck that i have, and felt like an old friend. it didn't feel like a cheap guitar to me either, but i don't think that any bolt on strat is gonna feel like it's worth 3k regardless of maker.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Huh...I own one of the Bulls-Eyes and everybody is right.
                      It feels different...maybe lighter and a slightly different neck feel from my older one. At first, I was like...send it back. Then, I played it for a while and it's finds it's own groove. I think you have to take a good look at one, try it and imagine it with the neck "yellowed" a little.... The thing is that you should be able to get them a lot cheaper than $3k. I got one new for much much less and I couldn't be happier with it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        As an owner of multiple new Charvels,(2 EVH's, Bullseye, Tele CS, etc...) I cannot compare them to the originals, because I didnt own or play guitars at that point. But I can say that I like mine. And that is not posturing.. I just like em. I guess it's kinda nice to not have that reference point. Now, when I hear people say they are cheap junk and dont feel good, thats just plain ridiculous, and IMHO, if I decided to donate a couple of them to someone who thought they sucked, I bet they would find their way clear to "slumming it" and playing them.

Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah...bring em on over and i'd play them for sure!
                        $2K is a lot more realistic price...i didn't ask for the "serious cash price", the sales guy just told me it was 3K...they may keep it, MAE is like that with limited editions, and it serves them well years from now.

the guitar DID feel like a jackson guitar. i would never think it was "repackaged fender stuff". i just didn't feel all too good about the neck finish and feel, and the fretwork was a little spotty, etc...not set up well, string alignment issues, etc. this is out of character for Jackson, which are consistently great IMHO.

the body was nice, the finish was nice, the weight was nice, the hardware was nice. put an old SD strathead neck on it and the guitar would have been SMOKING!

it sounded good through the amp as well, no worries there...

Comment

well...that's just it...somebody stated here before...there were different strathead necks...different specs...and i can assure you...these were based on real strathead necks, actually they are referred to in the shop as the "warren demartini profile"...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            well...that's just it...somebody stated here before...there were different strathead necks...different specs...and i can assure you...these were based on real strathead necks, actually they are referred to in the shop as the "warren demartini profile"...d.m.

[/ QUOTE ]

i touched/played warren's guitars during the poison/ratt tour in 84...those felt better! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

it's an interesting profile. i am sure with some setup work and some play wear the neck would feel much better.

i just expected to pick it up and go "I MUST HAVE THIS!"...and it really let me down. it's my own PERCEPTION at work...just like kevin said in that excellent post of his about the community. i WANTED that guitar to be great, believe me...

Comment

*****...but i don't think that any bolt on strat is gonna feel like it's worth 3k regardless of maker.*****

DING DING DING DING DING! And we have a winner!

Comment

EVH, Vai, SRV, YJM, Eric Johnson, Satch, JE Lee, Rory. Bolt ons have worked pretty well for them.

Bolt on or Neck thru, truth is, neither feels like a 3k plus product, its all about what you like. I can hit a golf ball 280 yards fairly consistently, fairly straight off the tee with my Titleist VS driver. That driver and I are like buddies. There is better newer technology out there, but I dont like it. And if I dont like it, I am not going to play well with it, and i am not going to feel confidence in it. That driver cost $450 4 years ago, but I would pay 5k to get it back if I lost it. I collect watches and wear a Rolex Sea-dweller most days. I appreciate the craftsmanship, time and effort it took to make it. There are 420 small moving parts in it that work in harmony. Thats impressive to me. But the truth is, a $50 piece of crap Timex quartz watch probably keeps better time. IT'S ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE.

Shawn
                                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X