New Pointies vs. Original SD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pointies vs. Original SD?

Alright guys, don't get me wrong here. I love the old SD's and always will.

But when I consider buying one of the new pointies vs. picking up an original SD, I see too many things in the "plus" column for buying new now:

- The new pointies are so damn close to the originals that it's like going back in time to buy an original, and bringing it back to the present. Sorry, but the "mojo" issue does not apply. The new pointies have major mojo.

- You can order exactly what you want. I cannot emphasize enough how this is such a MAJOR plus for me. i.e., Not having to live with a "standard" production guitar or someone else's preferences from 20 years ago.

Full-on custom shop, or just take advantage of the great options on the USA Standard line - many finishes & graphics, Floyd or VT, PU layout, fretboard material. The flexibility with the new Charvel line flat out rocks. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

- It's not a USED guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I guess I'm just not as much into the vintage thing as others. Ex. condition Floyd'd SD with a cool finish are pricey and rare. And most have at least some "battle damage" from the years. ...I can live with that, but prefer it to be MY battle damage! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Also, I sometimes find it hard to develop an emotional attachment to "someone else's" guitar vs. one that I personally ordered/bought. (...Probably relates to my custom/special order preferences above.)

- The prices are reasonable. At the high end of reasonable for a USA bolt-on? Yes. But IMHO still in the reasonable range.

- About the only disappointment I have with the new pointy line is that transparents can only be had by going full-on custom.

Am I the only person around here who thinks like this? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] How much of a weirdo am I? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: New Pointies vs. Original SD?

I am with you 100%.

I've said many times, after owning over 20 original Charvies, i'll take a new one anyday. Like you said, you can get exactly what you want, and without dealing with all the issues that apply to the old ones, like mods, fakes, parts guitars, etc.

I would never drop the coin on an old one, unless I found it cheap in a pawnshop. There's no need to anymore!

Comment

I've played a couple of new pointies as well, and they are
      pretty much dead on in feel to the old ones.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I like both the old and new pointies BUT agree that it is AWESOME to be able to custom order any pointy you want (well except certain TM proptecte dgraphics). The new ones play/feel almost identical to the originals and being allowd to custom order...is cooler than shit.

I own two new pointies at the moment (NAMM HRF and BullsEye RI) and have two orders placed. I suspect these won't be the last new ones I grab and agree, it is very exciting to see them back, true to the originals.
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I agree, now lets bring on the new stratheads (not the 25 ani or retro's)
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Complete agreement. I was just having this conversation with Chris. My point was , I think these new guitars are great, and obviously own a few. I am constantly on the hunt for the older stuff, but people want to shaft me at every turn. All of a sudden it occured to me, what am I doing trying to pry these guitars out of people's hands, when the new ones are killer (at least to me)?

Sooner or later the older ones will present themselves available to me, it's just an economic waiting game. Until then, I really like the new stuff.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I just like hearing all these great reviews of the new Charvel's. My main concern is neck feel and how close the new ones feel to the old. Sounds like everyone I have seen review the neck feel, says they got them down dead nuts. Can't wait for limited Dweezil green rev head now.
              We must!
              We must!
              We must increase the bust!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!
              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Is there a site where I can see the colors and graphics available?

Comment

i played old ones back in the day, and have played shawns tele and RI bullseye. There is absolutely no reason to not to buy a new pointy today.

i think that Charvel has completely leveled the playing field with those things, and actually made product improvements. how many old SD floyded pointies have stress "issues", or "repaired stress issues" at the scarf joint?

Thanks - i'll take a new one - now i just have to wait the 10 months for the green regular head...

Comment

They are excellent guitars & yes,the new pointy neck profile is dead on,my only problem is the $$,I would rather buy an old one for that kinda $$,just my preference!!

Mark,someone put up a link to scans of all the new graphics/colors,I'll look for it & E-mail it to ya bro asap!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Is there a site where I can see the colors and graphics available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also look here for the list of available options, etc:

http://www.charvelguitars.com/pricelist.pdf

Comment

Just sent you the link Mark!!

Comment

if they had been making these a few years back i dont think i would have even considered buying my wayne.

Comment

Thanks for the links! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

if they had been making these a few years back i dont think i would have even considered buying my wayne.

[/ QUOTE ] Now if they just made the strathead available, many would look no further..... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X