OILING THE NECK ON NEW EVH CHARVEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OILING THE NECK ON NEW EVH CHARVEL

hey,would like opinions/feedback...i have a new white/black charvel evh.i like the feeling of an oiled neck.will oiling the neck devalue the guitar?
    and another question: how many owners of these guitars liked the way they set up the floyd? i could not stand it,they had the claw screws 10 full turns past level,bridge in full upright position;have to be hercules to work the bar! is that the way eddie has his guitars set up?
    and some feedback: i have played all of the new strat head reissues,including the evh,and my black/white bullseye from guitar express way outplays them all...they need to get the right neck profile and use the floyd!!
    thanks!!

Re: OILING THE NECK ON NEW EVH CHARVEL

The setup on one of mine was WAY whacked out. Just like you said, posts really high, leaned backwards,D-tuna sitting on the body...Wierd. The other was fine, but I think there were 2 people setting mine up at Matt's (So Matt, which one did you do? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] )

So the answer is yes, pretty wierd setup. The guitar xpress Bullseye is the nicest playing guitar I own. Period.

Shawn

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Better than the PC-1?
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Well , the PC-1 certainly does more, but nothing plays like that B/W Bullseye. I dont know why, but I am not the first to say it.

Shawn
        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

hey,when i checked out the set up,i quickly checked out the card to see who did it.the set up was done by "SS",written in red ink,the s's were written in angled script,'secret service' style.
          shawn-the other evh you have,curious how that one was set up...level and blocked? i set mine up full floating,added a 3rd genuine floyd rose spring...much better!

Comment

i would say oil it if you want to i dont think it would hurt the value

Comment

I agree, just dont use anything too gunky like tung oil IMHO. Also, be carefull with sanding or steel wooling if you do that (which some would argue is necessary for the oil to "take" or else what is the point - I tend it agree, but take it easy).
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

You mean those necks are totally raw and have no kind of oil whatsoever on them? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] WTF?!? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nope. The EVHs come standard with oiled necks, like any other Charvel.

Actually, that's why I don't get why he's looking for advice on oiling it? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Are you under the mistaken impression that it's not oiled straight from the custom shop already? Or do you just not like the standard feel, and want to experiment with a different type of oil? (Given the original "I like the feel of an oiled neck" statement, I'm guessing it's the former.) In any event, if the finish on your EVH neck feels anything like my recent custom, you'll be hard pressed to improve upon it.

Comment

well,the neck appears to be raw.the paperwork with the guitar said it's unfinished and not necessary to finish or oil for maintenance,but oiling is ok.the neck is very pale and feels similar to my raw warmouth neck.my other charvels oiled necks feel slightly different and slightly darker...maybe it has a very light coat?? the last guitar i bought,the black and white bullseye,was oiled;big difference between the two...now i'm scratching my head...who else has an evh?thanks for the feedback!!

Comment

"Unfinished" does not = raw. Common misperception. It is usually used to describe oiled necks.

According to the Charvel web site, the EVHs have "specially formulated oil finished" necks. See here:

http://www.charvelguitars.com/models...lack_white.php

Don't feel bad. Based on their high buffing, some folks have mistaken J/C oiled necks for being satin finished, too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks,i really appreciate the info! now i know the full picture.time to break out the boiled linseed oil...AND ROCK-N-ROLL!!

Comment

I think u have it figured out.. Word of advice, use the boiled stuff sparingly at first and see how it does (to a large extent the "classic" charvel feel is the result of years of use and NOT a heavy oil coating!).
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                          X