Help With the Bound Top Tele.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help With the Bound Top Tele.

I have seen thouse route on Charvels before. The only strange thing is the 4 screw input jack? but again employee project comes to mind - maybe never even got it finished at the shop and had a 4 screw jack at home, and never got to the rest? GREAT TELE

Comment

great guitar end of story. no need to be overly anal about it. Whether its a legit guitar minus the neckplate, pre-pro with a holdsworth neck, a parts mutt or whatnot....its still a nice guitar no matter what it is or its origins [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        great guitar end of story. no need to be overly anal about it. Whether its a legit guitar minus the neckplate, pre-pro with a holdsworth neck, a parts mutt or whatnot....its still a nice guitar no matter what it is or its origins [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!!My Flame-top Charvie is a parts monster,plays & sounds incredible & that's all that matters!!

Comment

I am pretty sure that is a Charvel body. I have seen that route on a few other teles. I have not seen it on Schecters but I have seen it on mighty mites
          It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

I am a little late here , but I will run with chuck on it being schecter body..
            the flametop is really not charvel caliber, ... you can go all the way back to just prior the grover buyout and not see a flame top like this .

the control routes are waynes but also dimarzio and schecter... not uncommon for L.P. routes on a tele, during the late '70s. agian mainly schecter & original charvel I have the catalogs that show this...

the only real charvel quirk is the unpainted control cavity... this is a hallmark for mahogany bodies of that time frame...
            it would be obvious if it was a non trem and then the trem added as the route would be very sharp and clean not rounded over as an original body , finish sanded before paint...
            the neck could be original as I have seen s-necks on a t body, but too many little things that lead me off that theory

big question ; thin veneer top ? or 1/8 to 1/4 " top? this is tell tale and period .
            how thick is the board on the neck? very rounded over the sides or sharper? headstock contour to actual neck?
            also how deep is the route in the control cavity ? that is to say how thick is the remainaing top the pot goes through? everyone spec'd things a little different.
            very cool guitar, but I am thinking pieced together for sure....
            matt has a ton of parts it could be anything.

Comment

hey john - thanks for the response - the top is 1/4 thick.

Just for the sake of clarification, Matt didn't own this one - he sold it for a friend on ebay.

As for the neck ,it's real - no question.

Comment

chris , oh I believe the neck is real just trying to get a feel for production period...

theres no indication of that neck pocket being hogged out to fit the bulge of the s-neck ?

regarding the floyd? does it have the older more rounded top adjustment height screws that wouldve been originally used along with the non fine tuner model?

back in the day when I came accross guitars that originally came with non tuner model floyds , then later upgraded to the fine tuner unit,
                the original screws were seldom replaced to limit the amount of set up time..... the new bridge was popped on the guitar, then canted and intonated...
                of course thats no rule of thumb but a good indicator "sometimes" of the originalty of the floyd route....

hhhm, thick top... maybe some of the guys with wayne prepros could chime in on the thickness of their flame tops,
                I've seen early thick tops but by far and away most are the thin veneer..
                I asked mike s. and tim w. about this several years ago and the reasoning was veneers produce a more consistent flamed grain without run out, and more of that same look to go around on other guitars.

I asked for, but they no longer do the thin tops because the veneers get brittle fast laying around the shop and they say they never liked working with them..

if you have markings consistent with charvels numerical process and none of the above apply, its hard to question its origin....

either way its a beautiful tele !

Comment

That's a sweet ride you've got there.

Comment

thanks i appreciate it - shawn played it so he can give an objective review if anyone is interested.....

i pulled the neck off, did a trussrod adjustment and shimmed the neck. the floyd sits right on the body now and it sounds real good (to me anyway)....

Comment

Working...
                    X