• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With the Bound Top Tele.

<table>
    <tr>
    <td width="700">
    Hello all - Some of you may remember the tele parts guitar that was on ebay 2
    weeks ago. i picked it up from Knightair. i've had the guitar since monday and
    now i wanted to report on it's condidtion/status AND ask for some help in
    identifying what it is.

Strathead neck: 1 3/4 at the nut, with a polyurethane finish on the back
    of the neck. Makes me think Holldsworth. if the neck was modded to a floyd neck
    after the fact, there should be at least 1 hole for a string tree, or 4 holes
    for a behind the nut kahler locknut. there are no signs of any mods on the
    neck. even the holes for the lock nut look professionally done and it does not
    have a shim under the nut. has what appears as a work order number 4512.

Tele body: flamey top, bound edge. pickup selector in the les paul
    position. if you lok at the route for the selector, you will see that it looks
    identical to the ones that are on stars. brass shielding in the pickup selector
    cavity. the floyd looks great. the only thing that concerned me when i
    purchased the guitar was the funky angle the floyd had on the body. well, as it
    turns out the neck had 2 pretty big shims in it, so i get the impression that
    it was set up like to so the body would not be routed for vai-like pullups. the
    other thing is that i this body was a pre pro body then i should see remnants
    of a different trem/bridge setup. there are none. it didnt have a vintage, as
    the required 6 holes are not there. and it wasnt routed after the fact for a
    floyd because the routed area is covered in finish. i believe that the body was
    done for a floyd originally, which puts it in the early 80's. i have been
    playing with the body shims and should be able to get it to sit correctly. the
    volume control is a coil splitter. not fond of those the cavity has a les paul
    route again shielded in brass. has the work order number 4218 in the pocket
    along with what looks like a date of 4-11 and some initials.

maybe i'm over hopeful, but i get the impression that this guitar was ordered
    as is. the neck fits real well and i'm sure the body is real. i think that
    somoene wanted a strat/tele/les paul and this is the result. i'm including
    pics.

I would love it if tracy or hossman or any of the other super knowledgable guys
    on the board would chime in with opinions. i would really like to be able to
    narrow down this guitar.I'm posting this on both the JCF and CC.

</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

Re: Help With the Bound Top Tele.

Cool looking guitar

My first guess would have been prepro body and production neck.

work order would put it in 82 so I wonder why the les paul route. I have seen this route on teles owned by others but have not held one. How deep is the ledge for the control cavity. If it is shallow then I would think metal cover. The date makes me unsure of the "prepro" aspect of the body. I do not know if this is a Charvel for sure or not but aside from the cavity shape she looks good. Like I said, I have seen this control cavity.

my prepro tele has the san dimas route and is an 80 or 81

Chris, if you have othe pics email me at
    [email protected]
    It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

i have the same "M.J." in one of my neck pockets...and i have seen it on some of tracy's pics...

very cool guitar

Comment

just got in....

from the pics all the markings look real. The shielding in the cavities look like the style found on prepro's (copper like tape) and not the later brass shield material. Is the covers made from plastic or metal (brushed aluminum)???

Again the markings all look legit and I have seen many examples of those initials..thats real..is it possible the body was originally a hard tail?? Can ya post a pic of the back and the trem route???

post here and I will have a look (I am banned from CC). looks good to me but let me see a few back pics and close up of the Floyd routes..cool guitar...

Cheers
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

also post a pic of the back (body) interesting that the route for the control is touching (overlapping) with the trem route..maybe a hard tail converted since you don't see any holes for a v-trem??? Post a few more pics please
          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel

Comment

Neck is holdsworth, no doubt.Those inititials are on all the ones ive seen.

Comment

A laquered neck does not make it a Holdsworth,does it have the fat profile too like a Holdsworth Chris??& also the Floyd nut/lack of a string tree is very non-Holdsworth too!!

Comment

the control route is not typical Charvel...post a few better pics of the back and trem route

what is the length of the logo? later style logo it looks like..

Comment

This is one I was watching myself. Great Guitar.
                  Charvel Mfg. Custom Shop? Maybe like you said someone wanted it like this definitly original floyd no convertion--definitely body and neck go together, because the intials on both body and neck indicate that.. great buy..nice clean
                  83ish..according to the large logo if the logo is original..lost plate?? Employee Project? Everything looks good.
                  To bad we can no longer get to the books to hunt Work Order Numbers and or Serial Numbers? What is the history from the seller, did you ask him/her any questions? Might be a good place to strat. GREAT GUITAR,,,

Comment

sorry guys - i was out rehabbing a kitchen....
                    here are the pics - i hope i got enough photos, if not i can take pics of whatver anybody wants to see.

the cavity covers are indeed plastic, but since the body is virgin floyd - notice the finish in the trem route, can it be a prepro? i thought that floyds weren't really avail at that time? the neck fits the body VERY well. the neck does feel similar to my holdsworth, but the urethane on the holdsworth is thicker. the logo is the prod logo - 2.5 inches.

Comment

All I can say is that it is gorgeous. What a cool Tele.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

I still think it's a legit(non-Holdsworth!!)laquered neck & a Schecter body bro!!Beautiful FT!!

Comment

1983ish with a replaced plate or a employee guitar that never had a plate, Did you get anty info when you bought it?

Comment

here's the story i got. the previous owner went with a friend o get a guitar. the friend was buying a charvel. the previous owner asked the seller if he had any other cool old guitars and the guy pops this out. when the previous owner purchased it, is was an assembled guitar BUT it did not have volume knobs. it was routed but there were no pots - it was wired direct.

he had it for 12 years and i got it last week.

Comment

Working...
                              X