Popped my cherry...Got a strathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popped my cherry...Got a strathead

Well, my first legit serialized one, at least. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] My EVH came in yesterday! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Lots o' pics, then some words...

I've only got about 45 minutes playing time on her so far, so here's some early first impressions.

Neck: The backshape is pretty nice. I really like it. With time, I might even grow to love it. I definitely prefer thin and wide pointyheads more, but this is very comfortable. Comparing it to another well-known Cali. boutique maker [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] , it's somewhat similar. You certainly wouldn't mistake the two for each other, though. The EVH has an offset profile, so it's fatter on the bass side and a hair thinner on the treble side. I would consider it a Charvel relative. Not in the immediate family, but maybe like a close cousin that you've always liked. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] BTW, it's a one-piece neck.

The fretwork is immaculate. Seriously. I could not find a flaw. Surprisingly, though, they're not the standard J/C jumbos! A little skinnier, but about the same height and shape. Medium jumbos, maybe? To my hand, I noticed the "feel" difference with the frets on my old Y2KV much more than this EVH. Not a drastic difference at all. Actually, IMHO, the appearance difference was more noticable than feel.

I dig the 1 & 5/8ths nut. Maybe I'm not so set in my ways, but the difference vs. an 11/16ths neck is not a big deal IMHO. I can easily switch between the two. Otherwise, the neck feels standard Charvel coolness: nice rolled edges; smooth, slick and fast.

Body: The basswood is nice. Sure, I'd prefer alder or ash, but this has a very decent tone, too. Maybe I just got a heavier piece but, weight-wise, mine sure feels similar to an alder body.

The graphic is killer. My wife - who usually yawns at my guitar obsessions - remarked "that is way f**kin cool", when I pulled it out of the case. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It seems like they intentionally went with thin coats of paint and clearcoat. (...Possibly trying to not "smother" the wood's natural tone?) In fact, it's transparent enough that you can see some of the stripe layers underneath each other. I don't recall seeing that in other folks' EVH pics. It's kind of cool.

My only gripe is here, though: the buffing job done on the body was subpar. It's definitely not the standard J/C poly buffed out to a fine sheet of glass. Not anything to send a guitar back for, mind you. You've got to have your eye right up to the body, and angle it to shine a reflection and notice it. But a minor disappointment, nonetheless.

Pickup: It's kind of weak. ...But I don't mean that as a negative comment! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seriously. This is not a balls-to-the-wall pickup. It's a very open-voiced, ringing chord to-hear-each-string / singing solo harmonics kind of pickup. You know...a pickup that makes the amp work for you. Not vice-versa. Think old broken-in PAF or '59. It REALLY nails the old-style VH tone closely, IMHO. An excellent job by the FMIC PU guys.

Set-up: It's very good. The action was a little on the high side, so I'm going to lower it a bit. (And there's not a buzz anywhere, so I'm sure it'll take it easily.) Everything else was damn good.

Bottom line: It's a great axe. Very worthy of the Charvel name. Kudos to the guys in the custom shop for building yet another killer piece. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

And many thanks to Matt's Music for yet another great deal with awesome service. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

...OK, I'll shut up now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Popped my cherry...Got a strathead

great pics..thanks for the review. I unfortunately, have not played any of the new Strat heads to date...will have to try and test drive one soon.

Your axe looks great!! Congrats
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

A couple of P.S.'s...

Can someone explain the serialization to me? I thought I understood it before - first two digits were year of manufacture, last two number made. Clearly that's not the case with mine, though. ...Unless, of course, the custom shop wizards have mastered time travel, too!? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And, oh a couple of bonus pics...

"Alex Van Who?!..."

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Congrats on a killer guitar. Great pics too, BTW.

I am very jealous.
        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Nice guitar and pics!!!

The last pic.... Eddie Van Simmons?
          J/K [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Very nice. One question though, why can you see through her hands in the second to the last picture [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]. It's like she's a ghost or something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Comment

Just like her dad... she's got fast fingers. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Got that two-handed pinch harmonic technique down pat, too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

heh ..gotta love the missing paint in the trem cavity .. bet most people will think that's a mistake ..
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Yep... the blow hole!!

Pat - Regarding your serial number question. The first digit designates the guitar as a red/white/black and the next 2 digits designate it as the 89th one built. The white/black EVH's start with a 4 and the yellow/black EVH's start with a 5. I thought the first batch of red/white/black EVH's started with a 6, but seeing as Eddie didn't approve of the color red they may have decided to use a 7 to designate these new red ones as the correct color red.

Hopefully that makes sense? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Wow, she is a beauty.... congrats on a killer guitar [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep. Thanks.

...But it makes me wonder what 1, 2 & 3 would be? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yep... the blow hole!!

Pat - Regarding your serial number question. The first digit designates the guitar as a red/white/black and the next 2 digits designate it as the 89th one built. The white/black EVH's start with a 4 and the yellow/black EVH's start with a 5. I thought the first batch of red/white/black EVH's started with a 6, but seeing as Eddie didn't approve of the color red they may have decided to use a 7 to designate these new red ones as the correct color red.

Hopefully that makes sense? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey matt, do you still have #522?

Comment

Nope, #522 left the building a while ago. I've been working on getting the rest of my site up to date and haven't had a chance to do the Jackson/Charvel page yet. I have 4 of each color on order right now and they'll all be here in the near future. These can take forever to get so if you're interested in reserving one, get in touch with me.
                          Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Damn, she's beautiful! Now I'm GASing for one! Shit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Very Nice Pat congrats!
                              I've played a couple of those and your review is dead on.
                              I thought you were done with single pick up guitars? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X