Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care of new EVH Charvel neck

Hey all,

New to this forum and it's great. I have not been able to find reviews on the evh charvels. I posted one over at vhlinks and found some stuff here, but otherwise not too much on them.

I have a b/y evh charvel (0422) and am using it as one of my main gigging guitars. I also use a wolfgang. The necks are similar in that they are both less finished.

How often should I oil the neck? I have been told putting lemon oil on there too often will loosen the frets. Some one told me do it every 6 months. Otherwise how should I clean these necks to avoid the seemingly unavoidable darkening that occurs?

Thanks

Re: Care of new EVH Charvel neck

Hmm. The darking is what some of these guys consider to be a good thing. 1) it breaks the guitar in "feel" wise and 2) it means you are actually playing the damn thing. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

From what I understand, these guitars come "oil" finsished from the factory.

Too much oil on the fret board can regrade the fret glue and thus lossen frets so if you do not like the oil, you only "need" to do it once every several years or so (unless the board looks really dry.

For cleaning to remove the gunk, a little very light grade stell wool WITH THE GRAIN will do the trick. Lemon oil is also more of a "cleaner" than not - if you what to apply more "protection" - look to linseed or tung (but these promote "darkening").
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Here's a bit on the care and feeding of a Wolfgang neck. I guess you could apply that to the Charvel EVH since the necks are so similar.

http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/care_&_feeding.htm

Comment

the gunk is the stuff you're lookin' for in my unhumble opinion. i love the gunk.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Gunk = taking pride in your guitar [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Physical gunk = Bad [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            Staines from gunk = Good [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you sure? Ed has used the same one for 20+ years and I'm sure it hasn't been well-cared for most of that time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ed has used many guitars over the past twenty plus years(Charvel,EBMM,Peavey),not just one!!
                Newc,do you just make this sh*t up or what??

Comment

thanks for the input,

the link on cleaning the wolfgang neck was an interesting read

I'm too lazy and too much of an idiot to do the steel wool thing or any sanding so i guess i'll just stick to wiping the neck down and putting some lemon oil on 1-2 times per year.

Comment

If it's a maple FB, it's hard finished - i.e. Oil not needed for the FB.

Lately it seems the trend is to use 'lemon' oil as a cleaner, and tung, linseed, or gunstock oil as a conditioning agent for the exposed wood (followed by wax to seal it).
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Really - neither of the EVHs that I played at Matts seemed to have any "finish" on the board itself (unlike an old fender where they clear coated the whole dammn thing - makes a real mess if you try to yank the frets without first cutting the finish with a razor blade). The 25ht didnt have a "finish" either.
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

there isn't any finish on the fretboard. to clean the neck and fingerboard on my axis which also has a unfinished neck i use those murphys oil soap wipes. they are wet wipes so the neck doesent get too wet and they do a great job of getting off the gunk.

Comment

I stand corrected.
                          [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I thought those had a slight matte satin finish on the boards. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oiled, just like nearly every other Charvel.

Comment

Working...
                              X