Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the EVH Art Series guitars worth it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the EVH Art Series guitars worth it???

I am just curious as they are way out of my range at the moment. However, I am having serious GAS for a VH-1 style guitar.

But, are these really $2200 guitars? I realize they carry Ed's endorsement, I realize they are "real" Charvels with a strat head, they are limited editions...etc. But do they play and sound like a $2200 guitar. I figure a nice Warmouth neck, a Model 2 series body...a nice pickup and some paint and you could build one for a fraction...if the look and sound was all you were going for.

Anyone have one? What are your impressions. I have obviously never played one, so I am oblivious.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: Are the EVH Art Series guitars worth it???

I probably shouldn't attempt to answer this for you, as I have frequently spent over a grand on lap dances, but my opinion is, yes. They are bitchin' looking, have a killer neck and damn, it's a strat head Charvel with EVH on the headstock. I don't have one yet, see my qualifier, but soon I will. When I get one, I will ship it to you for a trail run and then you can decide.

The warmoth idea is a great one.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      But, are these really $2200 guitars? ...do they play and sound like a $2200 guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like any gear purchase, that's really a personal opinion, isn't it? And - like they say - opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone's got one. Here's mine. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...page=1&fpart=1

Comment

That is a nice review. My conclusion is that you are a satisfied customer.

I didn't realize they had a 1 5/8 nut width. Hmmmm, that may be a problem for me. I have recently discovered that despite the fact that I have short, fat little fingers...I like a wide nut spacing. I have a rather sloppy picking technique and I have found that some extra spacing between the strings really allows me to dig in hard on bends, attack the strings really hard and also cleans up some of the right hand wailing that is going on. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I would love to play one for sure, so Jimmy I would gladly take you up on your offer!!

One other thing that points me more towards home brewing one is the fact that I have to have a single coil in the neck position...it is a must for me as I do play alot of blues oriented stuff that needs a single up front. Despite the fact that it would be a travesty to cut up an Art Series, I would route that fucker for a neck pickup.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Mike

Comment

There is always the lower budget option, not the do it yourself option, but not an Art Series either. This guy can't sell these anymore (I guess the Fender boys or Ed's boys got to him) but he has some nice replicas. This is the less expensive version as it lacks a Floyd. He also sells a Floyd version for about $300 more...which isn't worth it to me since I am not a crazy Floyd wanker:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7327970435

He is on the bay alot. Some of his stuff isn't what he says it is, like his Lynch Bengal that he is claiming is a Baretta when it has a ply body. But still, this is the plug and play version. I would also feel alot more comfortable routing this for additional P/Us than a real EVH Art. I have asked him what he used for the body on this. The Floyd job has a Charvel Model 1 body.

Of course, I am pretty good with a rattle can and all it would take would be some masking tape, a can of black and a can of white to make this. Ed didn't use any fancy paint for his. Prep, paint, wax and buff...done. Two days work. I bet I could build an old model series into one of these for under $400 including the base guitar.

Mike

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            My conclusion is that you are a satisfied customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Love em, I own 2.

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I think they play great and sound good and of course the EVH Factor.

I won't be buying one, I'd rather have something cool made for myself.

Comment

I just got one and it's really fantastic. It really has that 80's vibe to it. Great neck and frets. I am going to get the Black and white next.

Comment

If you are going to pay 2300 and then route for a single. Why not just have a Charvel built to your specs? 1h, 1sc, floyd, 1-3/4 nut width. Get a solid color and you can probably come in around 1500.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      If you are going to pay 2300 and then route for a single. Why not just have a Charvel built to your specs? 1h, 1sc, floyd, 1-3/4 nut width. Get a solid color and you can probably come in around 1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, because I could buy 5 decent model series Charvies for the price of one new pointy. Nope, the whole attraction of the EVH is the paint scheme, and the fact that it is a strat head Charvel....at least for me. Yes, that headstock means that much to me...and to Fender too. That is why an EVH is $2300 and a 1 pickup pointy is $1500.

Mike

Comment

Would $1840/wcase be a good eal for a brand new one?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Would $1840/wcase be a good eal for a brand new one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I haven't really priced them...but I see them in the $220-$2300 range on E-Bay.

Mike

Comment

The reason that it is a 1 5/8 neck is because it was taken directly from Ed's favorite neck. That gitar started as a 1 11/16 and Ed wore it down to 1 5/8 .. so the neck on the EVH art series is based on Eds own "played" neck ..

As far as the model series vs US series .. sorry no comparison ..I'm not saying the model series are bad guitars but they aren't as nice as a US series built guitar ..
                            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

"Would $1840/wcase be a good deal for a brand new one?"

Yes, that is a good deal.
                              I was quoted the same number by a dealer whom I do a great deal of business with. I believe that falls right around 40% off retail.
                              Most dealers (some of which I rather give my busines to, if you know what I mean) could not touch that number.
                              I understand and respect their reasons.
                              Having said that, the dealer that quoted me that number did not have any in stock and had already sold out all of their orders, so I had to place an order for a new one = long wait.
                              I am still thinking about it and might just pull it off.
                              Predator, PM me to see it this is the same guy I am talking about.

IMHO, anything between $1850 and $2150 is a good deal for a well made guitar with cool graphics. Anything above $2200 is a personal choice and what might be well worth for some might be absurd for others. Just a matter of choice and preference.
                              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Working...
                              X