USA Charvel ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USA Charvel ID?

Man, if all legit that is a very late strathead with that 5000 range serial #. Looks cool, and I hope he gets paid on it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    But those knobs have gotta go!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

he's approved.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I thought you liked knobs skinflute?

Comment

Yes,looks correct!!Killer strathead,definitely has the Brad Gillis vibe!!

My #4110 also has the top mount strat type input jack!!

Comment

thanks sully!

Comment

Hey guys. Now that I'm approved I can see what all is going on here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Basically, I picked this guitar up from a friend (for $55, including an amp too [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]) when I was wanting to learn to play. It was pretty much in the shape it is now, with the top mounted input jack falling off (the area surrounding the two screws has broken off at some point.)

Not long after I got it, I opened it up and put a new battery inside. The sound was pretty crackly, with lots of pops coming out of the amp. I thought the problem was the amp (I was part right) - so I got rid of it. After I acquired a new little peavy practice amp which didn't crackle, I plugged the Charvel in and the guitar crackled. Dismayed... I took the guitar in to a guitar shop who didn't have any suggestions. That was when I lived in a much smaller town. I have since picked up an Epiphone Les Paul that has been my primary guitar to learn on, but recently figured after all these years of sparse playing I should do something with the red thing or get rid of it, and at the least find out what it is worth. So, this weekend I finally took some pictures and posted it in a forum, and that has led me to here.

I'd like to at least make it fully functional before I decide to sell it, since I've never really heard it's real sound. I did try to open it up once myself and figure out what was wrong, but I was unable to do so.

After this renewed interest, I plugged it in just this morning and I'm not really getting anything out of it, so the 9V battery inside for the active pickups must be fully dead (it has been sitting unused for at least 3.5 years).

Should I take it in to a place like Guitar Center? Where can I get it fully appraised? I'd like to have it cleaned, new battery installed, fix the wiring problem, new strings, and get a new "whammy bar" (is that the right term?). I've always felt more at home with the feel of this guitar vs my newer Les Paul.

What do you guys suggest? I've really been getting back into playing after a long absence, and the more I learn about this guitar the more I want to play it and hear what all the fuss is about [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-K

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Should I take it in to a place like Guitar Center? Where can I get it fully appraised? I'd like to have it cleaned, new battery installed, fix the wiring problem, new strings, and get a new "whammy bar" (is that the right term?). I've always felt more at home with the feel of this guitar vs my newer Les Paul.

What do you guys suggest?

[/ QUOTE ]

the best way to have it appraised would be to put it on ebay with a retarded reserve ($5-7 grand). guitar center or any guitar store really aren't going to be much help. strathead charvels are pretty damn rare, and in my opinion that they bring the worst out in people. judging by current trends, you could get a few grand for that guitar, and i assume that your PM box will soon be filling up with offers; probably both decent and lowball. that said, please be mindful of the rules about selling gear on this board.

in my opinion, you should get the guitar fixed and enjoy it. but hey, i'm retarded like that.

welcome to the board.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would get it fixed and keep it. It will be hard to get a real value for it, because the guys doing the appraising are usually looking to buy also. I am sure one of the Charvel junkies here can set you straight on it's value. Never take it to Guitar Center, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I would get it fixed and keep it. It will be hard to get a real value for it, because the guys doing the appraising are usually looking to buy also. I am sure one of the Charvel junkies here can set you straight on it's value. Never take it to Guitar Center, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback btw!

Where should I take it to get fixed?
                      I wouldn't expect Guitar Center to know it's value, but would that be a good place to try and get repair? Or should I try a smaller shop?
                      -K

Comment

Where are you located? Chances are, someone here will know a competant repair shop in or near your area.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'm in the concrete jungle better known as Los Angeles.

-K

Comment

For a fix, I would try a shop that does not start with Guitar, and ends with Center. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                            And Sully speaks with wisdom...put a crazy reserve on it, and see where the final bid ends up. Worse case...someone hits your absurd reserve and you get paid.
                            A $55 strathead...the score of the millenium.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Scott are you sure you didn't mean charveljunkie!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              Very cool charvel indeed-I would say get it fixed and keep it.With that kind of money in it I don't want to see you take a beating!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Well if you ever decide to part with it-get some offer's and let me know.
                              Oh yeah-Welcome to the board!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Guitar Center or any other shop for that matter who knows about Charvels will low ball you with a price. Thats what they do. There are many competent repair shops in LA. I would go in and get it fixed without mentioning anything about its worth. You will do better just by putting it on ebay. I also have a couple of Charvels with the top jack. Not as common but they are there.

Comment

Working...
                                X