Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Routing under guard of white /black EVH Art Se

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curious, is the heel of these necks 2-1/4" like the old Charvels or 2-3/16" dimension like Fender?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, the original Charvel stratheads were 2 & 3/16ths. Only the pointyhead necks were 2 & 1/4. So it is like the old Charvels. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

IIRC, the original Charvel stratheads were 2 1/8" at the heel. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Huh, which is it [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I would think the originals where 2-3/16" since that's what Boogie Bodies and other sources Wayne and Grover sourced from. Why change a routing template to 2-1/4" when you already have a standard dimension at 2-3/16"? Interesting.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Old Charvel guitars were 2 3/16" at the butt. They went to 2 1/4" to work better with a Floyd Rose.

EVH's are 2 3/16", all the other current stuff is 2 1/4".

Comment

Early 21 fret Charvel necks were 2 1/8".

Comment

I finally got to play one of these suckers.

Okay I took a few minutes at lunch time to visit GC and try out their black and white EVH Art guitar. I returned two and a half hours later. Yes folks the guitars are that good. I am very impressed and if they would have matched the prices I had seen on the internet, the guitar would be here in my office right now. I WILL be defintely grabbing one of these.

The pickup simply kicked ass (played through a Line 6 practice amp, Diezel half stack, Mesa Dual and finally a Fender bassman - for clean) and YES you can play clean and she sounds okay. For clean I played with the volume around 5 and it didn't break up even when the amp was turned up. Dirty/distorted, this pickup delivers, Holy Shit simply amazing. Great for picking up pinch harmonics and sustains like nobodys business.

The neck felt great in my hands, needs a bit of dirt sweat as the wood feels new but very comfortable and no dead spots. To be hoenst the profile is very similar to many of my Strat Heads other than it is not as beefy, for reference sake I would say it was 90% as beefy as my originals. The fret work perfect. I doubt the one I played was special and if they are all like that one..damn these things are sick in a beautiful way. I want one NOW....

I give her a 9.5 out fo 10!!!! and oh yeah she will be mine...
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Great review, Tracy. If you're heading to The Rock this summer, bring that with you - I'll meet you at the ferry. lol
                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I've played a couple and loved them. My only gripe is I wish you could get the 1 3/4" nut width on the EVH. Then it'd be perfect, IMO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I finally got to play one of these suckers.

Okay I took a few minutes at lunch time to visit GC and try out their black and white EVH Art guitar. I returned two and a half hours later. Yes folks the guitars are that good. I am very impressed and if they would have matched the prices I had seen on the internet, the guitar would be here in my office right now. I WILL be defintely grabbing one of these.

The pickup simply kicked ass (played through a Line 6 practice amp, Diezel half stack, Mesa Dual and finally a Fender bassman - for clean) and YES you can play clean and she sounds okay. For clean I played with the volume around 5 and it didn't break up even when the amp was turned up. Dirty/distorted, this pickup delivers, Holy Shit simply amazing. Great for picking up pinch harmonics and sustains like nobodys business.

The neck felt great in my hands, needs a bit of dirt sweat as the wood feels new but very comfortable and no dead spots. To be hoenst the profile is very similar to many of my Strat Heads other than it is not as beefy, for reference sake I would say it was 90% as beefy as my originals. The fret work perfect. I doubt the one I played was special and if they are all like that one..damn these things are sick in a beautiful way. I want one NOW....

I give her a 9.5 out fo 10!!!! and oh yeah she will be mine...

[/ QUOTE ]

TOLD YA!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Just for clarification: The backshape on the Charvel EVH Art Series necks is based on EVH's original neck from the B&W guitar on VH1. That is his favorite neck, with the asymmetrical backshape from years of playing it. We digitized the profile and copied it exactly. It is not anything like the standard San Dimas backshape profile we use on the USA Standard and Custom Shop Charvel instruments.

Comment

IIRC that neck was snapped on the first tour & the Art Series necks were cloned from the Kramer 5150 no??!!

Comment

5150 had this neck on it after it was used on Frankenstein.

Comment

According to Eldred and Tim Wilson, original butt width was the same as Fender - 2 3/16", including the 21 fret necks.

Comment

Ahhhh,so it is modeled after the neck with the Explorer headstock John??

Vintage Fender heel width i s 2 1/8"!!

Comment

Working...
                              X