Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Value of original Charvels vs. USA reissues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of original Charvels vs. USA reissues...

What are your opinions on what the overall effect of Charvel/FMIC producing SD reissues will have on the value of original Charvel SD guitars? I realize that the serious Charvel afficionados/collectors will always prize the originals, but will the reissues be likely to effect the demand (hence prices) for the originals?

Re: Value of original Charvels vs. USA reissues...

The people that will pay top dollar for the originals will continue to do so and aren't all that interested in the re-issues.

The people who are intrested in the re-issues and aren't interested in paying top dollar for the originals, now have a choice.

I don't think it will affect the collector market one bit.

Comment

I agree with Chuck. Depending on the success of the new ones, it might actually increase the desirability of the originals. Modestly - if at all - though, IMHO.

Comment

I don't really look at the new pointys as re-issues. They aren't copies of any particular Charvel. To me they are new production. Like SD Jacksons and Ontario Jacksons exact same guitars. Their serial numbers fall into line behind the original SDs. When you play one they are identical to the original SD's. I do believe they have affected the original solid color pointys value already.( Original graphic pointys will continue go up like the stratheads).

Look at the last couple of months Carr guitar has picked up a half-a-dozen original pointys, between $700 to $850. No, one in the Charvel community has challenged his bids for whatever reason. Showing me that the solid color pointys have stagnated in value for right now.

Look how many times a 1983/4/5 one hum pointy with a kahler pops up. What's the first comment to hit the boards? WOW nice but I wish it had a floyd. Since that seems to be what most people want, they can now get that from Charvel. Because of that I think we are seeing less competition for the original plain jane basic pointys.

That's my take two cents.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The people that will pay top dollar for the originals will continue to do so and aren't all that interested in the re-issues.

The people who are intrested in the re-issues and aren't interested in paying top dollar for the originals, now have a choice.

I don't think it will affect the collector market one bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed & very well said Chuckster,however Brian makes a valid point,if it affects the market it'll most likely be the leveling off of the solid color Kahlered pointies $$!!

Comment

I also agree with Chuck. RI'd didn't affect Fender pprices or Gibson prices for the originals.

As far as new/old I'd rather go with a new one because it wou;d be cheaper and I wouldn't have to pass over all ot those kahlered Charvels out there or have to mod a classic to get rid of the kahler [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

man, I'm looking for a nice old Kahlerd Vel. If anybodies got a cool one LMK

Comment

I guess I am one of the few that prefers a Kahler.

Comment

Yeah...that's real relevant to the thread...thanks for that!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Yeah...that's real relevant to the thread...thanks for that!

[/ QUOTE ]
                    +1! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm pretty sure its a fact that reissues only make the originals more desirable and valuable. Actually the more the mystique grows around the original the fancier and more expensive the reissues become and again the value of the original increases. Look at the Les Paul market. There are probably as many 59 Les Pauls floating around as there are San Dimas Charvels and you can see where that market has gone.As much as some folks like to talk them down a good Strathead SD Charvel is as good and in most cases better than any bolt on ever made.

Comment

there were just over 1200 '59 les paul made, that's not alot is it-lol
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

most of those are in complete in original condition. I bet the number of Charvels surviving in complete shape modded or not is not much more than that.

Comment

that's not far from reality at all yoga. i swear to god i will have one one day. a '59 les paul that is.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I also agree with Chuck. RI'd didn't affect Fender pprices or Gibson prices for the originals.

As far as new/old I'd rather go with a new one because it wou;d be cheaper and I wouldn't have to pass over all ot those kahlered Charvels out there or have to mod a classic to get rid of the kahler [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I so much agree. I have a model 5 with a Kahler and I hate it. It's busted and kahler wants like $370 for a new one. I think i'm just gonna go with the repair kit of just replace it with the non-tremolo one. I never liked kahlers.

Comment

Working...
                              X