Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVH Art Series details needed for an argument.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Art Series details needed for an argument.....

Help a brother here.

I am in a polite argument over the EVH Art Series Charvies.

My opponents argue that they are merely Basswood Strats with a fancy paint job, a custom pickup and an unfinished Strat neck.

Discounting the fact that my opponents are utterly clueless regarding the historical significance of the guitars...can anyone give me some concrete evidence as to the details of the body and neck? Is it just a Fender neck finished in oil, or is there something unique to the Art Series necks? Anyone know the radius? What about the body? Are we talking a standard strat body with a different route??

I am referring to the standard production pieces, not the hand striped by Ed jobs.

Thanks,

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: EVH Art Series details needed for an argument.....

i can add that the trem rout is longer than standard, but other than that, i think it's just a plain ol' basswood strat body.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The neck is different. 1 5/8" vs. 1 11/16" and the radius is no where near that of a strat. It also says EVH and Charvel on the headstock, so that's different too. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

last time i asked about the radius i was told it is a 10-12" compound radius. the neck is the key to that guitar that makes them such great players. i'm not a huge fan of basswood (i prefer alder or mahogany) but the neck on the one i played (black and yellow) was just amazing feeling.

-Mike
        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Help a brother here.

My opponents argue that they are merely Basswood Strats with a fancy paint job, a custom pickup and an unfinished Strat neck.

Discounting the fact that my opponents are utterly clueless regarding the historical significance of the guitars...can anyone give me some concrete evidence as to the details of the body and neck? Is it just a Fender neck finished in oil, or is there something unique to the Art Series necks? Anyone know the radius? What about the body? Are we talking a standard strat body with a different route??

I am referring to the standard production pieces, not the hand striped by Ed jobs.

Thanks,

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mike, I am a member of the GearPage, Thorn Forum, Suhr Forum and Anderson Forum. I have very close friends who participate at the Fender and LesPaul Forums. Without exception, everyone of these guys will downplay, question and discount the legitimacy of the EVH Art Series. Why? Because it's supposedly lacks the "boutique", customized image that Thorns, Andersons, Suhrs, Melacons, Tylers, Groshs, Gustavsons, Lentzs, have. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

I own 6 Andersons and Suhrs. THAT's about as "boutiquey" as anyone can get.

Back to the EVH. Yes, it's a plain (as opposed to birdseye or flamed) maple neck, yes it's painted, yes it's just a basswood body. SO WHAT.

The same guys that will bash Charvel, are the same ones cork sniffing a '59 Gibson Historic Reissue. WHAT THE FUCK is the difference? WHY are you willing to pay $5500+ for a FUCKING Gibson? For the SAME reason that guys like me will pay for an EDDIE VAN HALEN knock off.

Sentiment and Image.

Its takes you back to a time when things were simpler and and music rocked.

THAT's WHY.
          RANT off.
          mike.

Comment

I LOVE Charvels. I love their vibe, the memories they bring back for me, their playability, etc.

But without Fender, there would be no Charvel. At least not the Charvels I love. Other than that abortion called Hydra...

I own a EVH art reissue, I like it, and yes, in my opinion it is basically a Fender Strat.

The neck shape looks very, very similar to my EBMM EVH model, with the narrower nut, asymmetrical neck profile and compound radius, so it is different from a typical Fender neck shape, at least compared to my 60's CS Relic (flatter C shape) and '56 NOS (soft V shape).

Would these differences win an argument with your skeptical opponents? No, in my opinion.

Does them justify the price over a regular Charvel pointy reissue? No, again in my opinion.

Still, I can't wait to get home from work, grab my B+Y and tap the night away!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Help a brother here.

Thanks,

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies Mike, I just reread my post, and realized I answered NONE of your questions. That said, I pick my EVH Art Series up tonight. (Black and Yellow). I'll play and review tomorrow.
              m.

Comment

Re: EVH Art Series details needed for an argument.

different people like different things. why will some guy pay 5 grand for a mickey mantle baseball card. why will one person buy a new vette and someone else buy a cobra mustang if you are into eddie and charvels then its worth it to you.they never said they were reinventing the wheel just giving people the chance to buy the guitar they couldnt get twenty five years ago.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "strat" they mean Fender parts gussied up with an EVH paint job, they are completely wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Sure, it has a basswood body. That was spec'd by EVH himself. (...Just like his Wolfgangs etc, remember?) Also, this is a Charvel-design strat body. Although subtle, the differences are noticable - routes, contours, etc. It is NOT a Fender Strat body.

The neck is also EVH spec'd. Special offset backshape, truss adjustment in the heal, compound radius fretboard, oil finished, yada yada. Again, this is not a part sourced from nor shared with Fender products. It is a Charvel-exclusive neck. Old school design, IMHO, too. In a good way, I mean.

Specially-wound custom humbucker. Etc., etc.

But it sounds like you're arguing with a brick wall, so why bother anyway. They'll believe what they WANT to believe, no matter what someone else tells them. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

IMHO every EVH That I played smoked the SD Reissues in the store.

Comment

Yes, it's based on the strat design, but that's what it's supposed to be... A modded strat.

Strat body + modded pickup + compound radius neck + OFR + kick ass paint + custom shop build quality = EVH Art Series!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Does anybody know if the EVH necks are digitally modified to resemble Ed's "broken in" feeling neck (ala EBMM)?

Comment

I do believe they are.
                          Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Working...
                          X