Question about my Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about my Charvel

I recently purchased an interesting Charvel guitar I am trying to find more information about. It was a very good deal and from what I am told it's quite rare.

Here are some of its features, please help me identify it's origin or anything else you may be able to tell me.

-made in late 80's
    -soloist style, set-neck
    -24 frets
    -MOP reverse sharkfin inlays
    -rosewood fingerboard
    -I am told it is a limited edition custom shop model
    -It doesn't have a serial number, just some numbers engraved after the 24th fret that apparantly isn't the serial number
    -cherry sunburst with flamed maple top
    -string thru body tail piece bridge
    -It also has seymour duncans in it, but they could be aftermarket
    -Immaculate condition, only one owner
    -only $699 Canadian
    -The music shop told me it was a custom shop prototype model made in the USA. But a number of weeks back when I was inquiring about it online I was informed it was a 750XL and it was made in Japan.

So I am looking for some thought on this descrepency now that I've had the chance to learn a bit more about it since I now own it.

Either way to me it seems like a top notch instrument and I've always been a fan of Jackson guitars and when I found this axe, I couldn't let it go.

Let me know

Re: Question about my Charvel

A 750 sounds about right, but without pictures it's difficult to tell. I assume it has the Charvel 'toothpaste' logo (a 'signature' rather than guitar shaped).

There was a limited edition (1990?) roughly as you describe, but that had a abalone logo (and inlays?), a block inlay at the 12th, reflex pickups, gold hardware and I'm pretty sure they all had Floyds....

If you read this thread, it details a refinish on a 750 XL, but this one was re-logo'd:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...page=0&fpart=1
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yes, it features the toothpaste logo. But what I've come across on the net, it doesn't seem to quite match up to a 750XL with the string thru bridge.

I will get a pic up as soon as I can borrow the digital camera from work.

Can you tell me, would this be a US mdoel or Japanese? Generally, is there a leap in quality from one origin to another?

Comment

If it has the toothpaste Charvel logo, then it's definitely Japanese. The was a Pro series Jackson soloist archtop which more or less exactly matches your specs in the 90/91 catalogue, so I would guess that your guitar is earlier than this.
        Those early Japanese guitars are regarded as being pretty good - well constructed using decent wood and hardware, but the pickups are not the best.

If you're happy with it, don't worry about what it is, just enjoy the guitar, and that price seems pretty good!
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The 750XL came in both trem & string through versions. Quite a few guys here have the string throughs. They weren't nearly as common as the trem models, but not super rare either. The pickups on yours are definitely after-market. IIRC, originals would have been Jackson J80 in both positions. There are lots of good, informative threads on the 750 in the Import section, and there should be some string throughs in the gallery.

Comment

Can you give me the links to the string thrus in the gallery? I don't know which category to search in find them and I want to see some other ones.

You guys are very knowledgable on guitars, thanks so much for your replies, I knew the long registration was worth the wait.

Also, I snapped a few pictures yesterday, how do I go about uploading them and posting them?

Comment

Here's the only one from the gallery, and it's got your finish:

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/cha...05091-eric.jpg

and here's the official guide to posting pics:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#370213

Once you've got it down, post a thread with pics in the Import Charvel section (this thread will likely be moved there eventually, btw). I bet you can coax some of the other guys to post shots of their string throughs. They aren't shy about it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X