The new Charvels suck....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The new Charvels both rock AND suck

Wasn't that at DCGL? They've got a pretty damn good reputation so I'm surprised Jason et al let something like that leave the store.....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      This was the 2004 Summer NAMM BGF Star guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if it was that guitar. Heck, it's pictured on the Charvel website, too. IMHO, this makes it even less likely that the guitar left the custom shop like that. Possibly damaged post-NAMM.

Comment

The inserts falling out just happens?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It could if the hole was over drilled or it didn't come out round ..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Jason and DCGL are doing a great job of making me happy. They are handling this whole thing very professionally. The only thing that would make me happier would of course be the guitar being what I had hoped for. I am bummed about this but Jason is doing a great job of making everything right.
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It could if the hole was over drilled or it didn't come out round ..

[/ QUOTE ]

My first Jackson Dinky Reverse had this problem and it didn't show until I had the guitar for a while. There's all sorts of talk how changes in temperature and humidity can affect a truss rod, what about it affecting the wood around a tremolo post?
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Tough call on a painted body that the humidity changed would afeect it. I'd be more inclined to think that the hole was slightly oversized and using the guitar or even string tension could cause it to loosen up ..
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I'll buy that for a dollar.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

<font color="aqua">actually I have had this happen as well with a Model series charvel. The holes were so dried up that the inserts were able to be just pulled out without resistance and the holes aren't sealed or painted so you actually see how dry it was in there. I know they were'nt messed with unless it was an amazing "hide" job because you could still see the spline/knurl marks left from the insert itself. I'm thinking they were probably a good press fit when installed but somewhere along the line the wood dried out and as that occurred, the wood moved away from the diameter of the inserts. So you may be on the right track Todd.....Now why the one post is crooked on yours, someone "fubar'd" that one. Glad to see you're getting it handled without any problems, scotty. </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

One post is slanted and the other is bent even worse, such that someone jammed a piece of string in the post hole to try and secure it in the route, correct?

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm thinking that type of damage might seem to fit with the Floyd/top of the body taking a pretty nasty smack against a hard surface while at an angle.

So I'm thinking shipping damage or someone accidentally dropped the guitar on its face.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

So I'm thinking shipping damage or someone accidentally dropped the guitar on its face.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">agreed, it really looks like a "hit" has taken place there.. </font>
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

It sounds to me like this was not a factory problem, but more a shipping problem. In which case DCGL is very much right to try and remedy this, shipping stuff happens but the burden of that lies on the shipper not the customer. I know that very well, I deal with it every day.

What your describing seems consistent with a contact damage. I'd go with the tremolo being jammed hard from above. That could skew the posts and gouge wood from the holes making them appear "loose".

I'm not saying small quality control problems don't slip by the custom shop, surely they do. Shit happens as they say. A rough fret end, loose frets, a nut thats cut to close. However this is something they would have noticed I'd think. And it seems pretty clear from people who have been to the shop and from what we have seen in pictures and heard from employees that they test each guitar before it goes out. Something as major as a loose and skewed trem post I can't imagine that would slip by. But I am by no means an expert...

Comment

I don't think that damage happened when it was shipped to me. The Floyd post were at the same height when I received the guitar. The lower post was screwed all the was into the insert. The string were quite high and could not be lowered. This would lead me to beleive that it was damaged before it was shipped to me.
                            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Scotty,

I love your icon with the dancing chicks!

Jason got with us about the guitar and we'll be working with him to get this resolved, regardless of how it happened.

Regarding other guys with missing certificates: Please PM me with your info and I'll get on it.

Regarding a field trip: I'll get with Kevin and the other Admins. Maybe we can set something up.

As always....Thank you all for your support! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks JC guy. Every thing else on the was awesome. Jason seems like a great guy.
                                Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
                                X