Legit or not? Tele.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legit or not? Tele.....

Since I bought this tele last year, I've been trying to figure out if its legit or not. The guy at the shop I bought it from said it was a touring guitar for one of alice coopers guitarists in the early 80's. I got it for $500AUS with a cool flight case, and its got a JB and a 59 in it. I took the neck off one day out of curiousity and theres no stamps or markings on the body or the neck. It's an ebony board with wooden dot inlays. But hey, enough of my yackin, whaddaya say? Lets boogie! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Legit or not? Tele.....

Looks pretty good to me. That control cavity route is a mystery, but this is San Dimas era Charvel we're talking about here...anything is possible.

That is very cool, whatever it is!

Comment

i think your probably ok. looks really cool

Comment

I love that guitar!! beauty!
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

<font color="red">Neck looks correct,some changed hardware,not sure on that body,Boogie??Schecter??Hoss??Kev?? </font>

Comment

Yummy

If you could take that plastic cover off the back and shoot us a picture we can give you a good idea. If you really want to know we may have to take the neck off. Start with the control cavity.

No one here can say they have seen "Every" shape that Charvel did for control cavaties. But they did do some things consistently. The recess lip should look similar to the early route or San Dimas route.

Now as for the color... I have seen fenders like that. But that is not gospel as early early charvels look and feel a heck of a lot like fenders.

We can walk thru all the traditional methods of ID right here on line.

As for the neck (also yummy) What are the side markers? Bras maybe or black dots. Does the skunk stripe end between the 1st and 2nd fret?

Be very carefull of Charvel lovers eMailing you offering help and making offers on your guitar. We are not to be trusted. Lets ID this one on line here

Kevin
            It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

That neck looks 1980 or so... The wood dot markers are consistent with that time 79 thru early 81 if it is a Charvel (looks like it) Frets may have been changed. Jumbos were not on 79 and early 80 necks

The distance between the 12th fret dot markers is a good indicator of origin. Can you measure the 12th fret markers center to center and inside edge to inside edge..?

Hey you asked, and their is no more Charvel Central, so your going to get some real nerd stuff here fella. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah... I am really liking this tele neck.... Can you see the truss rod nut while it is on the guitar?

Comment

<font color="aqua">Beautiful! Ya know at first I didn't like the smallest of logos but I'm really liking them the more I see them....how shallow is that?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Welcome to the wading pool!

Comment

Looks exacty like the tele route in the early Dimarzio catalog, as shown here:

http://guitarsenal.igottarock.com/Dimarzio/Page2.jpg

Comment

Lance, thanks for posting that. I do not think they are the same shape. The dimarzio is similar to a Les Paul shape. This one is a little different

Comment

My guess here is that it started like the one I posted and was hacked out at the top a bit. The bottom section is the same as the catalog.

More pics!

Comment

I agree, but was wondering what she is going to look like with that cover off. It may have been loke that since the factory... 4 knobs and all

Comment

First off, thanks alot for the help everyone.

12th fret dots are 23mm center to center and 16-17mm inside edge to inside edge

Control cavity (pots are 500k dimarzio), as you can see, some of the screw holes dont line up properly with the lip

Skunk stripe ends between the first and second fret, side markers are brass

Truss rod is visible

Comment

Working...
                              X