Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects...what would you do

1st is a plated Charvel body I got a few months ago

what a crime Tons and tons of birdseye... what would you do?

Next is a prepro Charvel body that was a 3 tite. Most likely sold as a Dimarzio body

What would you do?

Things can be fixed. Here is a Dimarzio explorer body that had a rattle can over a stripe. Was kahlered and patched and bondoed

Retopped

It's not a competition, it's a community

Re: Projects...what would you do

OK I'll burn them

Comment

<font color="aqua">That birds eye just kills me!! What I would do with that one is fill the volume holes and all the other bridge area crap. Then I would do a flame job on it leaving the natural birds eye exposed but having the flame tips covering the "bad" areas... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Kev, I would just keep that birdseye body with a kahler pro. A re-top would be ridiculous because of the body's natural beauty. Yeah, ya still have the floyd post holes...but for the most part, it would be covered up.

The dimarzio/strat body...did someone do the "top route" on their own? I'd swimming pool route that one, select a p/u setup you like, and be good to go with a new pickguard.

The explorer body...that one you just need to send over here. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Fill the holes on the birdseye body. Put on a nice strathead neck and keep the recessed Floyd.

The second one I would actually finish, because I hate those cutting board style bodies. Put on a PG and a nice neck and set it up like a strat.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Thanks for the responses

The birdseye is so beautiful it makes me cry to see the abuse

The dimarzio started as a 3 tite with no guard and some primate got a hold of some tools.

The dimarzio I will pool like Skin says and put a brass p/g on it

The birdseye. man I just do not know what to do. It was a strathead and I have the plate and parts for it (but not the original neck)

Usually they speak to you and tell you what they want but this one sits there and wont talk to me...

Comment

put a floyd on the birdseye and play it...d.m.
              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

What surfdork said as far as the birdseye. The is (or was anyway) a gold kahler on the bay which would go perfect with that one IMHO (pricy, but perfect).

As for the tite, those cheeseboard laminates never did anything for me so burning? Not the worst idea I have heard.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

i love that dimarzio/pre-pro body...very cool! that's an easy "fix" as you said just route it for the pickups you want put on a new gard and a brass trem and call it a day. the other one though....man that's beyond help without a refin since no matter what you do you'll see old holes or routes. what a shame.

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

on the birdseye, put the kahler back in and have some cool abalone inlay design added around it to cover the floyd goop. that would work over the volume/tone controls as well.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

duh...am I the only one that gets this stuff?

Obviosuly a red magic marker is needed on the birdseye to even out the finish. Then the simple addition of a Wonderbar will cover every single one of those routes and holes. Its called a Wonderbar for a reason.

As for the old Dimarzio, I would think the only true application for a guitar with a huge hole that goes all the way through is to install some sort of smoke machine. The other option would be to install what I believe some refer to as a "pocket pussy" in the hole, but to be honest Kev, you do not strike me as the kind of individual who would be in need of a "pocket pussy". So I think the smoke machine makes the most sense here.

Comment

The Birdseye is gorgeous. Get a high grade birdseye musikraft neck with a charvel profile and put a charvie decal on it (it is a charvel body after all). However the body needs some work, it depends on how comfortable you are with patching holes and such. Personally I would send it GMW or someone like that and have it stripped and refinished with the holes patched. 2 Hum with a Floyd is the way to go on that beauty.

The Dimarzio charvel body is trashed which is a shame cause thats a nice piece of wood. DEFINITELY needs a refinish. That route needs to be filled. I honestly don't know what to do. I'd keep it as a SSS with a black pickguard but that massive hole in the back is horrible. My reccomendation would be to have a 1/8 walnut or mahogany back put on it. Your still gonna have a hole but at least it will give a sort of hollow body effect. A Warmoth/Musikraft/USA CG neck would be good here, maybe a darker wood neck to complement the body. That body is still technically a Charvel is it not? If so I would logo it.

Downside is both of these cost money but if you want to do it right thats what I would do. Nothing worth doing is ever easy they say.

The explorer is killer and I would keep it as is, no need to change anything. Don't put a PG on it. Those first two guitars are still nice bodies they just need some serious work but I bet with a some time and money invested you will get some amazing guitars out of them.

Comment

<font color="red">Fill the extra holes & Kahler the quilt-top Kev(then send it to me lol),will always be a player bro & it'd be a shame to retop that killer body!!

Agreed re:the Dimarzio,though I'd leave it 3sc!!The Xplorer is way cool,love the Chevron stripes!!</font>

Comment

Tough call on the birdseye...I'd get some opinions by a few "pros" on that one as to how well they think it could be restored and still retain the original top. If nothing else, slap a Floyd on it and go to work. It most likely will never have collectable value so make it a player in the style you prefer.
                            I would drop a preloaded EMG David Gilmour set into the Dimarzio body, add a brass trem and a solid rosewood neck and be done with it.

Comment

reminds me of my Charvel body

Comment

Working...
                              X