played a San Dimas yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: played a San Dimas yesterday

AS Major Asshole I am now charged with recruiting for the inner circle - the inner brown circle that is....

please send applications my way.

ok back to more GIF.

Comment

Shaun alexander
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        AS Major Asshole I am now charged with recruiting for the inner circle - the inner brown circle that is....

please send applications my way.

ok back to more GIF.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">hell, I shouldn't have to submit one Chad, I should be a "shoe-in" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The guys that are complaining about the price wont buy a strathead if it comes anyway. Becuase no matter what happens the profile will be off. Even if the profile is duplicates to .000000001 in everyway. "feels like fender/kramer/esp/cort/hondo/jackson/gretch/pogostick" comments will come out.

There are alternatives for those that want 800 to 1000 guitars. Charvel and jackson custom shop and USA guitars are not one of those options.

[/ QUOTE ]

How right you are.
          Bottom line is:
          If ya wanna dance, ya gotta pay the piper.
          [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

This thread just proves in an amazing way how strong the Charvel brand is, what other guitar brand can get people this passionate & fired up talking about them as Charvel?

Whoever finds a way to bottle it up and sell it will make a fortune, in the meantime, its FMIC making all the ka-ching! (actually, the owners/collectors aren't doing too badly either)

Merry Christmas everyone! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I have two new San Dimas Reissue Charvels and they rule. My white two hum, floyded strat with ebony board is especially outstanding. Yeah they cost alot of scratch, but it was worth every penny.

Comment

Id just like to say that this is a very interesting read. Can anyone tell me if the bodies are CNC machined? I heard somewhere that they were? If they are, I think they are overpriced. If they arent, I think they are overpriced. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Happy holidays. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Many groggy Christmas morning thoughts...

Are the new Charvels reissues or a continuation of the line? I know we have the EVH and 25th, but are the pointies a limited edition reissue?

I ask that because when a car manufactorer reinstates a model, like the camaro, it is not a reissue but a continuation and not subject to reissue thinking. Pricing would follow the rules more closely of an uninterupted timeline. Like guys who only want willys jeeps.... No matter how nice it is, the average one will go for much less than a new one or even a new exact copy of the old one... Same for an old pointy. Average or played would be a bargain, collectable will be expensive.

I would like to walk into a music store and buy new Charvels for $600 but I know that this will not happen and would not be good for the brand name or value of any USA Charvel/Jackson..new or old. In fact, I would rather you not make them if they have to be $600...

Many of us 40 +/- guys are very set in our ways. We would like to revisit the eighties. I was very close to buying that Solar, and if it was a strathead it would be at my house now. I see the Charvel name as a boutique shop and that looks like a boutique guitar to me. I also think that we have some missmatched arguments here. Some guys will not walk into a store and buy the newer ones, and that is OK, they are not the target market for one. However you did see those same guys custom shop order a set of 10 and that is pretty cool no? If pressed they will agree to enjoying the custom shop experience more than the "off the rack". They can get what they want for a small amount more than the store. It works. They bought. I think the store or street price highlites exactly what a value that custom shop run was.

Think about how visible and popular the original Charvels were with so few being made.. How small our community actually is compared to the player collector community as a whole. The fact that near every 80's video featured a Charvel, and so few were made, Is a testament to the power of boutique. The Cheap (although quality) Model line was the death nail of pointy collectabiliy. We need no more of these.

Look at the new mustang... They got that one right and it appeals to new and old mustang fans.. Remember that first 4 cylinder pinto one?

Did Charvels ever have market share or did they just make a splash and fade out quickly? Did Ibanez and Kramer take the ring and run with it while Jackson/Charvel tied its shoe laces together? I do not know statistics but if they never had major share then why would they gain market share now...?

I am OK with the current marketing model. But I will be on board when I know I can custom order what I want in a strathead from Shannon. Then I think you might see the good session players and others come on board. They can pick up a PRS and a Charvel and a Suhr and say, "Charvel Please!" How did PRS make thier way to the limelight? They were a studio guitarist guitar. Not a rock star guitar. Somehow they got there but they were boutique.

Would you be against a Charvel that could compete with a Suhr or PRS? Maybe the old Charvel guys could not handle it but gigging players would and it would spread. Those companies own the boutique market that Charvel helped create. Hey, I need my old school visuals... Correct skunk stripe, 12th fret etc. But I ould love to get a solid brass vintage looking locking trem that works. Looks old school, is not gigantic and does the job. And a compound Radius from Shannon...10/16? And a cool retro graphic or Bookmatched flame top... Some brass.. Send me the guitar and send me the bill.
                  It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Nothing remotely correct about that statement. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I´m glad you know so much about the way I run my shop....

[ QUOTE ]
                    The carve is MUCH more difficult on a neck through as everything has to be EXACT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to say that Just because it´s a bolt on, any hack can carve the neck ?? Because that´s what it sounds like.... Being a bolt on has nothing to do with the quality and exactness of the workmanship as you here imply...

The neck and wings are put together by some after the initialy neck carve, by some before... Most that I know do it after...

[ QUOTE ]
                    With a bolt on, you are dealing with a smaller piece of wood (=cheaper) that can be shimmed or otherwise adjusted to fit as perfectly as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

While theoretically true, IMO no guitar should need any sort of shims or other "cheaters" from the factory. NO guitar

[ QUOTE ]
                    Get the angle wrong on a neck through and you essentially have a worthless instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    While true, again I don´t build POS guitars that need shims from the word go just to be set up properly, the neck angle is routed into the pocket the way it´s supposed to be on a bolt on.

In either case, the proper neck angle has to be DESIGNED into the guitar... theis isn´t something you just switch at random like many playser think... neck angle also has a heavy effect on TONE.... again, you can´t just "build away" and expect good results...
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    Once we are beyond that, the process of bolting a neck to a body is much less labor intensive than matching and glueing the "wings" on to a neck through design.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Any you completely leave Bandsawing the body blank (or assembled neckthru w/ wings), shaping and sanding that body, fretting the neck (or even BUILDING it in the first place), finishing, and most of the other actually work or cost intensive factors out...

If building a guitar were simply slapping finished wings on a Neck Blank, or bolting a body to a neck, you might be right.... but there´s a whole fuckload more that goes into it all that you´re conveniently "forgetting"

again, the total work is near identical in amount and skill required if done properly, just minimally different.... Essentially your only point is the longer piece of wood [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Merry Christmas [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I was speaking in general terms...there was no indictment of the work you do in your shop. I know nothing of what you do or the quality of your work.
                      I'm not sure what you do when you build your instruments, and I agree with most of what you have to say except for the fact that in my experiences (I am not a builder but when I had a music store I had a close relatioship with a local luthier) there is simply more time and precision necessary to to get a neck through right as compared to a bolt on.
                      I agree with what you said about the necessity for shims, etc, but my experience has shown that even custom shop strats need this treatment all too frequently...and I've heard the same thing from an owner of a new Charvel.

Do you have any pics of the work you do...I'd love to see them as it sounds like you may take your craft to a higher level than many others.

Have a great Christmas [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="red">Reissue schmissue,doesn't matter,pointless argument!!

Happy Holidays!! </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          <font color="red">Reissue schmissue,doesn't matter,pointless argument!!

Happy Holidays!! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why pointless? Is this not the heart of the matter for the continuation of the Charvel Line? What we are talking about is price point and potential sales. More sales now means more options later.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance on Modern Charvel Jacksons...

What was/is the most recent or current street price for a single hum Jackson pointy strat floyd? Basicly the same guitar as the new Charvel. The ones we refered to as the Ontario guitars. Were they made recently? Are they still made? if not what was the last year and what did they cost? Would I be wrong to assume they are basicly the same guitar?

Comment

from what i've been able to see, you won't get a single hum jackson with a full sized strat body. so far, the full sized strat bodies are charvels, while the dinkys have been jacksons. not a bad idea, imo.

not that it matters but i don't consider the new charvel lines as reissues; i consider them a continuation. but that's how i roll, yo.

and kev, you've got to have the craziest parts stash i've ever seen. that rules. just sayin.

sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully. Quoting fron Ron Burgandy are we? You dirty pirate hooker.

This year I have to get more projects done. I am about to become a pick up junkie. I am sacrificing a pick guard to the cause and I want to engineer a pick up tester guitar for quick swaps.

Then my question is, when did Jackson stop making strat bodies? Has it been that long?

BTW, I think their is a good discussion here if we can get back on track, discuss opinions, not supress them. I resemble some of the above remarks and was a bit offended by them.

No insulting us white colar guys or someones getting puched in the ovaries.

Comment

Working...
                                X