played a San Dimas yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: played a San Dimas yesterday

I don't generally differentiate between neck thru and bolt on as far as prive for value. The price on a basic charvel strat may seem high but if it was a neck thru would you say so? Perhaps not. Maybe its because I'm a fan of bolt on guitars myself.

A basic charvel custom shop may also seem overpriced until you change it to a trans color, slap a 1/8 maple top. A few changes for less than 400 and with those small changes suddenly the guitar might not seem like such a bad deal. What it really is, I think, is that the basic charvel strat seems overpriced because your paying full value on a worthy guitar that happens to look on the surface like alot of other basic guitars that cost hundreds or thousands less. Thats not so much charvel's fault as it is the nature of the guitar market. I still plan to get a custom charvel in a few years, I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with it, but its probably going to my own "take" on the reissue but with my own personal twist, I might even try to make it a run. But price does doesn't scare me so much because if you want something done right you never get it for free. I can't hear any complaining about being able to afford custom shop prices either because I saved for 3 years to afford the one I have being built now. I don't make much money and I'm under 30. If I can afford a custom shop bolt on thats over 2500 without breaking the bank then anyone can...with alot of patience [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think its most definitely worth saving for. If you don't then as John said, by all means you SHOULD get another kind of guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      I have never condoned counterfeiting guitars,nor do I appreciate the accusation!!I'm done with this bs!!

Happy holidays!!

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you may want to stop posting things like "all it needs is a charvel logo, bro!" if you don't want to be perceived as someone who condones counterfeiting charvels then. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

all that heated bs aside, i hope you and lucy have a nice holiday as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> Now that I have some time to reply....that quote is taken completely out of context Sully,iirc that quote is from a thread where a member posted a replica of a Charvel he built or bought for himself & I posted,"nice,all it needs is a Charvel logo"!!

There is a big difference between putting a logo on your guitar for yourself(not for sale)& putting one on a guitar & misrepresenting it to sell for big $$!!

I have never posted that someone should misrepresent a guitar for sale yet this is what you're alluding,that is bs!!I do not condone "counterfeiting Charvels",nor do I appreciate your unfounded accusation,please read the past threads more carefully,or god forbid,ask me next time,before posting false accusations!!

Thanx!!</font>

Comment

I would like everybody in this stupid fukkin' thread to take a good long look at yourselves, and see just how well you all are doing, and to appreciate what you all have. I unfortunately have been one sick slipshot, irresponsible, stupid, and moronic human being when it comes to these guitars. I don't even have a charvel anymore, and it's ripping my guts out. you know why it's ripping me into pieces? cause the san dimas made original ones, modded or not have more fukkin' mojo and playability than any guitar i have ever picked up in my life. it's not even close. so weather it's a new charvel,or an old one, if you don't dig it, let me fukkin' have it. i'll make you proud of it oneday. and cut the shit guys, i refuse to watch my pals spit at each other.play it down all you want but that's what iot looks like from here. through the eyes of someone who squandered his life away. i don't know, i just hate this shit. happy hannukah.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Tommy , its x-mas season.You know, shit storm time, let them go.Next month they will be hugging each other laughing about this.

Stratheads are coming, stratheads are coming , were the cries heard in Boston.

I can personally vouch for Chuck, he shoots it straight when he sells something.

Shit, its only 4-5 guys buying them all right now anyways,they know what to look for.

Comment

the thread that just wont die.

Comment

Cinqo Headacheo Des Asparin Strength a L'extra.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

the thread that just wont stay on topic....

But to get back on topic.........

A few months ago Carr bought every pointy that cam up and they were good deals. 700 - 1k. He won. No one wanted to pay more. I do think guys who will buy new should be voicing there opinion here. I would like to hear what they have to say. The first 4 or 5 guys to post in this thread liked the product but did feel it was pricy.

Now that I see the one on eBay at $1500 I am thinking maybe the price for new is not so out of line. Mid teens?

If a cool vintage pointy comes up with nice features and a floyd or vintage people will pay. For a Kahlered or modded they wont. So The new and the old are closer in price?
                It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  <font color="red"> Now that I have some time to reply....that quote is taken completely out of context Sully,iirc that quote is from a thread where a member posted a replica of a Charvel he built or bought for himself &amp; I posted,"nice,all it needs is a Charvel logo"!!

There is a big difference between putting a logo on your guitar for yourself(not for sale)&amp; putting one on a guitar &amp; misrepresenting it to sell for big $$!!

I have never posted that someone should misrepresent a guitar for sale yet this is what you're alluding,that is bs!!I do not condone "counterfeiting Charvels",nor do I appreciate your unfounded accusation,please read the past threads more carefully,or god forbid,ask me next time,before posting false accusations!!

Thanx!!</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

If I may interject... Your stance on this is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. I think that Sully, Kevin, and I (and I hope more, but I haven't had any discussions with anyone else personally on the issue) are in agreeance that if it's not a Charvel or Jackson, then it has no business having a Charvel logo on it. Whether it's for personal use or flat out fraud; somewhere, sometime, in the remainder of that guitar's life the probability of someone misrepresenting it as genuine is pretty high.

Why? It's like Kilimanjaro... Because it's there.

I'm not saying that you're condoning counterfeit Charvels, but you're not really taking a stance against it. Unfortunately both sides in this discussion view the issue as black or white. Either you're against it or for it. (not my words, just my interpretation of the emotions of the discussion)
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

<font color="red">Like I said Todd,I don't condone selling misrepresented counterfeit Charvels!!

That is my stance!!

I don't care if someone logos their own guitar,& I don't think they should catch shit for it,it is their guitar!!

That is my stance!!

Hopefully this thread can now get back to it's original subject matter!!Thanx!! </font>

Comment

I logoed a carvin a jackson, I also carved Ike Turner into a strat
                      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Well 83sandimas... I own a new one - several now. Dont need anymore SanDimas charvels. Dont need to collect like a wacko anymore. The guys that are screaming overpriced new, defenders of the faith - whatever they are these days should be dropping coin to "save" them. carr got some for "cheap" There are lpenty of old ones out there. It appears people are not buying as much as the "talk" would lead you to believe.

I have one from every generation and love em all.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Whether it's for personal use or flat out fraud; somewhere, sometime, in the remainder of that guitar's life the probability of someone misrepresenting it as genuine is pretty high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Todd, I've got to disagree - I think that probability is probably quite low, not high. I mean, how many GMWs or other replicas have been tried to be passed off as original on Ebay lately? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a one. Maybe I'm not running in the right circles, but I just don't see much "counterfeiting" attempts going on at all. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I suppose that probability over time is more conjecture, though - so eveyone's entitled to their opinions. But, more importantly, most replicas have some distinguishing features that make it reasonable to identify a replica vs. real, anyway.

And, hopefully, with recent rumors, maybe logo'ing replicas will become less and less prevelant in the near future by default. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

All that said, I agree that the problem with this topic is that people seem to have very strong opinions on both sides. And that has led to some harsh things said back and forth. I'd like to see everyone in this disfunctional family do a group hug. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

"Whether it's for personal use or flat out fraud; somewhere, sometime, in the remainder of that guitar's life the probability of someone misrepresenting it as genuine is pretty high."

Yeah many years ago - early on in this boards life - the guys that were around all agreed on this point. Some of those guys made out and out fakes anyway. Seems there are a few left that still in the not logo'ing guitars that are not of that manufactures origin. the newer crowd seems to be of a different belief base their view of the issue. Seems thats the divide. Will always exist. Whatcha gunna do other than go your seperate ways.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              If I may interject... Your stance on this is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. I think that Sully, Kevin, and I (and I hope more, but I haven't had any discussions with anyone else personally on the issue) are in agreeance that if it's not a Charvel or Jackson, then it has no business having a Charvel logo on it. Whether it's for personal use or flat out fraud; somewhere, sometime, in the remainder of that guitar's life the probability of someone misrepresenting it as genuine is pretty high.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yea Todd, I am with Shredder on this one, the probability is pretty low if you think about it. Typically if your making a non charvel replica for PERSONAL USE (make note of that) then it holds some personal or sentimental value for you and its likely you are going to be less likely to part with it. There have been a few Charvel replica projects by people on this board that were quite obviously labors of love that I strongly doubt will ever change hands. Sure if things get bad shit can happen but those people are likely also going to be up front about the fact that it ain't legit.

Now if your making a charvie replica for the purpose of fraud then yes I doubt anyone here would ever condone that.

And when did this turn into a rehash of the thread from a few months back about logoing charvels? I think we pretty well beat the fuck out of that horse back then. The topic at hand here is about quality of old vs new and wether the price of a bolt on charvel strat is worth it. And I think the answer of that is completely dependent on alot of factors, the answer is that if your not serious about wanting it then your not likely to buy one. I don't know if thats what John and the rest of the marketing guys want, but thats the net result at least right now. I think NAMM will bring some new things to this discussion, wether it be the rumored strathead option (suddenly a different headstock justifies a steeper price? does that seem odd to anyone else?) or the addition of a MIJ line like the older quality charvel model series, whatever happens at NAMM, Charvel has recently begun to gain visibility again and its still having a hard time living down the bad rep it got from the crappy Charvette line. I just was reading some guitar fact book (ironic that considering how wrong it was) that stated that the Charvel line from Charvel jackson was for the low end import guitars marketed to the entry level player. Like it or not thats not the first time I've seen a supposedly "factual" book spout nonsense like that. So the reappearance of Charvel is a work in progress from my perspective. I think alot could change in just a few months.

Comment

I have yet to logo one, I have bought stuff with the logo on it and did not remove it. I have scraped a few off because they were cheapo ugly....

Regarding Value...

1500 used pointy strat with no warranty. 3500 used vintage strathead star with no warranty.

$1500 new floyded or New vintage trem Charvel looks better this week.

The Carr thing bothers me. We need to get a consortium together and pony up or just let the unwanted go... But then they get parted out and yadda yadda...

"Charvel certified preowned Charvels" Sent back to the factory or reconditiond by a JCF certified luthier for a 138 point check and sold at 75% the price of new.

Who was it that bought up all their old guitars, Hamer? That did help their value.

(You know I am only half serious right?)
                                It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Working...
                                X