played a San Dimas yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: played a San Dimas yesterday

For the x billionth time: Fender sets nothing. JCMI is an independent company, owned by Fender but essentially free to do as they wish. ESP owns Schecter, but you don´t see people bitching about how "ESPs decisions are screwing up schecter" ... exact same thing

The prices JCMI "sets" are the MAP (minimum Advertised price)and they SUGGEST a retail Price (Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price).... Companies like GC like to take about halfway between MAP and MSRetail, whereas smaller retailers are almost always MAP or lower... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I have never bought a Jackson at GC, but have bought many other guitars there, and here's why...

1) Selection

Even in a city like Atlanta, my best selection for high end Gibsons, PRS, and Fender is at GC. I know if I go there i'll probably find something I like.

2) Financing

If you have the GC card like I do, it is nice to walk in, buy a guitar, and have 0% financing for 1 year which is a promotion they do once in a while. The key is to pay off the card before the promotion date runs out, or all the accumulated interest gets tacked on to your account. I always make sure it's paid in full right before the ending date.

3) Negotiation

You can negotiate heavily with them. I have gotten to know the assistant manager at my GC and he knows when he sees me walk thru the door that he's in for a war (price wise). They will match (or at least he does) the lowest price I can find anywhere.

Like everything else in life, you just have to know how to use GC to your advantage.

Comment

I bought a san dimas charvel strathead there for $350 a few years ago. I just go to those types of stores to check out the used guitars.Usually while im out pawnshopping.Ya never know.............

Comment

played a San Dimas yesterday

Everything is NEGOTIABLE!!! try and move the price down a bit.

Comment

1. We are not able to control or dictate what prices dealers sell our products for. That is against the law.

2. I still can't figure out why you guys think our guitars should be priced cheaper?!?!?!

If we fired all the experienced guys like Mike Shannon and Tim Wilson (who have been working at Jackson/Charvel for 25-30 years and have families to feed), built cookie cutter copies of the original stuff (but they would feel and play NOTHING like the original stuff), and had a bunch of mindless hourly workers building it, we could meet your price expectations. Unfortunately you'd all then be pissed that we made crap guitars and stuck the Charvel/Jackson brand on them. We can't win!!!

We're building top notch guitars and have the original guys involved in the everyday manufacturing process of EVERY guitar. Our retail prices are competitive within the market and are in line with the competition. I've mentioned the following fact once before:

1980 Charvel "Strat" with 1 Hum and a NOS bridge was $880.00 List. According to the Consumer Price Index (CPI), that guitar in 2005 dollars would be $2078.25 List. A Charvel San Dimas 1 Hum with a NOS bridge is $1999.99 List. Figuring in the fact that the cost of living has increased dramatically since 1980, the cost of wood has skyrocketed, we have all kinds of additional waste disposal costs associated with painting guitars now, and we still employ many of the original workers, it's actually amazing that we can offer the guitars at these prices.

It would be REALLY easy for FMIC to say screw it go for the fat profits you guys think we are making on these. Take a look at an old Kramer Baretta and the new 1984 - NO comparison!!. I refuse to pander stuff like that to consumers. As long as I'm running the brands, I will not compromise my values in what I believe Charvel and Jackson should be. I'm sorry if that approach disappoints you guys.

Comment

guitar center prices are always high if you check with some of the dealers here you will get much more reasonable price quotes.the only complaint i have is that i cant find any places around here that stock any of them except the van halens and i would really like to play one before i order one.

Comment

Jason at Drum City Guitarland has a 48 hour return policy. You could try that if you don't have a dealer in your area that stocks them.

Oh...and BTW....all you guys and gals who are complimenting the necks and playability of the new stuff - THANKS!! We're doing our best to make these feel and play amazing!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  If we fired all the experienced guys like Mike Shannon and Tim Wilson (who have been working at Jackson/Charvel for 25-30 years and have families to feed), built cookie cutter copies of the original stuff (but they would feel and play NOTHING like the original stuff), and had a bunch of mindless hourly workers building it, we could meet your price expectations. Unfortunately you'd all then be pissed that we made crap guitars and stuck the Charvel/Jackson brand on them. We can't win!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Such a good point. You will never win over some of these folks, so don't even bother trying. Many of the harshest price complainers either:

a) rarely buy any new gear at all and think everything new is overpriced;

b) are used to collecting SD-era Charvel gear when it was way out of fashion and prices were low (a few years ago), and expect to get a new one for similar prices, and/or;

c) since the USA Charvel brand was near non-existent for so many years, are so used to not being able to get an authentic real one, that they've been buying/building cheaper replicas all that time. And now they expect the real deal to be done at the same prices.

Nothing wrong with any of the above preferences, IMHO. To each his own.

But if you want the real deal with the real quality built by the real folks, you have to deal with the real price. And - IMHO - given all of the factors, that price is reasonable. Your opinion may vary.

Comment

also add:

d) badmouth and slam the new ones and make BS claims that they're nothing like the old ones to protect what they view are investments

e) have ZERO intention of ever buying one, yet enjoyed bitching about how you can't get them (when you couldn't).
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[quoteThe prices JCMI "sets" are the MAP (minimum Advertised price)and they SUGGEST a retail Price (Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price).... Companies like GC like to take about halfway between MAP and MSRetail, whereas smaller retailers are almost always MAP or lower... ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.. here's the funny part.. everyone who doesn't want to pay those kinds of prices bitches ..

Do all these people complain at the car lots when they see the tag ... MSRP????
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        also add:

d) badmouth and slam the new ones and make BS claims that they're nothing like the old ones to protect what they view are investments

e) have ZERO intention of ever buying one, yet enjoyed bitching about how you can't get them (when you couldn't).

[/ QUOTE ]

f) Say I'd buy if it only had and then when you get your wish you don't buy..basically you were only entitling yourself to complain and not support the product ..
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

shreddermon, Sully, & Kev... +1 [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Having collected the originals for many years and owning around 25, I for one will NEVER, EVER buy an old one again.

I can get a brand new one, that feels identical and have it built exactly the way I want it.

Those who think Charvels should be cheaper should just be glad they're available again, and wait till one comes up for sale on Ebay or the JCF, where it will invariably be "cheaper".

And everyone else who knocks the new ones, get over it. Let's face it, most of the old Charvels are owned by a few, and regular players/collectors never get much of a chance to own one because of the inflated price or lack of availability. You act like little kids who don't want to share your toy and are now upset since we all can get them. Grow up...

Comment

I'm totally on board with the other admins and Shreddermon. Guys, we've wanted these for a long time! Now we've got 'em! let's enjoy them! They truly are great guitars. I can't wait to get my hands on some of the new ones in Anaheim!!!
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

We interrupt regularly scheduled programming to test my new avatar...

<------------------- [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

The admin folder is gonna go nuts now. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                                Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                                X