played a San Dimas yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: played a San Dimas yesterday

<font color="red">IMO,they're WAY overpriced,I'd rather buy an old original for FAR less $$!!& no,I don't think the quality touches the old ones either,again,IMO!!
    </font>

Comment

how do you figure that they're overpriced, using the pricing info that JCMktgGuy laid out:

[ QUOTE ]
      1980 Charvel "Strat" with 1 Hum and a NOS bridge was $880.00 List. According to the Consumer Price Index (CPI), that guitar in 2005 dollars would be $2078.25 List. A Charvel San Dimas 1 Hum with a NOS bridge is $1999.99 List. Figuring in the fact that the cost of living has increased dramatically since 1980, the cost of wood has skyrocketed, we have all kinds of additional waste disposal costs associated with painting guitars now, and we still employ many of the original workers, it's actually amazing that we can offer the guitars at these prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

so tell me, how are they overpriced if the same people that made the old ones are essentially making the new ones? judging by what's quoted above, they have a lower list price now than they did then (when you figure in inflation).

and if the old ones are better than the new ones, why did you get a new one?
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I respect Chuck's opinion, but disagree with it.

Many of us - myself included - have very strong opinions on these matters. To a certain extent, the continued existence of the Charvel brand, as we all know and love it, depends on them. Nonetheless, hopefully, we all - on both sides - can keep this civil and respectful.

Comment

<font color="red"> Just my opinion Sully,I think they are overpriced,I don't think a standard strat body bolt-on is worth $2k-ish no matter who's building 'em!!Especially when I can get an old original for less!!

Why did I buy a new one??Simple,the Solars are unique,it was a specially made true to original old spec Charvie,special mahogany body w/bound flame maple top,special details,etc.(but I still thought it was too much $$)!!</font>

Comment

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion right guys? I dont think its fair for all the admins to jump on someone who expressed it in a respectful manner.

That being said, i will reserve my opinion on Price until after namm. I know there are great things on the horizon.

Ive played the new stratheads and they were okay.Even the old ones had different shaped necks since they were all hand made.Ive played some stellar ones and ones that just didnt do it for me.So i expect the stratheads to be inconsistant.I know jackson used someone charvel neck as the template, so it be an exact copy of that said neck.It just didnt strike my fancy.

The pointies play like the ones i used to own.Im just not a pointy fan.My heroes played stratheads, they were the initial reason for my love of the brand.

This is a forum, and i think differing opinions should be okay.Pros and Cons.

You cant please all the people all the time.

Comment

of course everyone is entitled to their opinion; all i was asking for was actual reasoning as to why chuck feels that they're overpriced. replying with "it's just my opinion" doesn't really do that, so i'm over it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] i understand to a certain extent about the feeling that bolt on guitars should be less than 2k, but that's a pretty broad generalization considering what goes into it. and yes, i also see the logic that a one hum vtrem strat at 2k (or thereabout) seems high. then again, when you figure in the other things, it makes more sense. to me, at least.

if i'm not mistaken, the new charvs cost a little bit more (+/- $200)than a gmw. i think the legitimacy of a charvel is far worth it. of course, by judging the amount of fakes (er...i mean "replicas") posted here, i'm in a minority on that one.

another question... what other american made strat styled guitar costs less, yet is better made?

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ralph, Tekky, Kevin, Shredder, Sully, and ALL of you (including the complainers) - We appreciate all of your support and opinions. If no one had an opinion about Charvel, we'd have a MUCH BIGGER problem on our hands.

Some of you know I am a Charvel nut from back in the early 80's. I have a Strat head and I love it. I also love the fact that I could be a part in bringing back the brand to it's original specs and niche. Being able to offer a Charvel guitar built like the originals is a wonderful thing to all of us who love them. Some of you guys will never like them or buy them, but I respect your opinions - but I also disagree with you. Shredder hit it on the head with his initial comments. I'm just happy that everyone can now experience the same thing I did the first time I picked up a Charvel and played it.... WOW!! Hopefully the wow is more about how nice it plays and feels rather then the price tag, but hey, at least you said WOW!

NAMM is going to be interesting....I'm sure I will get lots of comments - good and bad - about what's going on.

Happy Holidays to all!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

It will be a good year for charvels, i just know it.

Ive been locked into a custody battle for the last 2 and 1/2 years.That is now behind me, so i can start thinking about the finer things in life, like a new charvel.

I too am excited about charvels coming back.Nothing wrong there at all.

Comment

I look forward to the news from NAMM and will continue to buy both new and old because they are Charevls after all...
                    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

the prices aren't that out of line when compared to the prices in the 80's and adding in inflation etc. my Charvel was $1250 new in 1983.lotta lotta bread back then.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion right guys? I dont think its fair for all the admins to jump on someone who expressed it in a respectful manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this is where it sucks to be an admin because we aren't allowed to be part of a debate or discussion without it being construed as the administration jumping down someones throat....

Why do I think this conversation is a bit off base? Simple I'm a craftsmen by trade and have seen my paycheck shrink over the last 4 years. People like Mike Shannon and Tim Wilson are no different than I am, they are simply trying to earn a decent wage. I think it's safe to assume that they get a raise every year to take care of their living expenses ...

A lot of people seem to forget what the shape of the custom shop was in under AMIC. Poor equipment, lack of decent beneifts etc. When FMIC bought JCMI they started to correct those issues and that doesn't come without a price. So they do time studies on what it takes their emplyees to build a guitar based on the pay scales that they pay and they set a price. don't forget they are a business and still need to turn a profit ..

Can GMW build a guitar cheaper? Yep they have less overhead and are probably not paying extra towards insurance and such because they are using a lot of outside suppliers ...

How many people on this forum are willing to take a paycut to satisfy a consumer? Certainly not me and trust me I've been on the receiving end of a forced paycut...it didn't sit well ...
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

good points Kev.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            good points Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Dave..
                            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Regardless of how much Jackson sells their guitars to dealers for the prices at Guitar Center seem out of line. The one in Vegas wanted 1800+ for a black 1 Hum bolt-on. Fullers Guitar has a Hum/Single New Charvel bolt-on listed for 1600+. I know that I could get better deal than that by talking to someone at Fuller's. They gave me a great deal on my EVH.

Guitar Center prices are high, in many instances you can get a better price by talking to a sales person. That particular guitar center in Vegas didn't want to move on the price. They were too high so I passed.
                              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out where the admins (ie - we) started jumping down someone's throat. Sully was asking questions to get a perspective from Chuck. Ralph, Sully, and Kevin added to Shreddermon's points about the new Charvels. And I agreed with all the points that were made.

Remember guys, we may be Admins here, but we all started out as guitar players and Charvel/Jackson nuts too.
                                Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                                X