played a San Dimas yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: played a San Dimas yesterday

<font color="red"> Overpriced IMO,along with most every other manufacturer too!!

Just an opinion,again,I would never pay $1.5k plus for a reissue when I can get an original for alot less $$!! </font>

Comment

heh. okay, i'll bite. what do you think a new us-made guitar should cost?
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Well, even if they were only $1000.00, then the new ones aren't "overpriced". If anything they're less expensive today than they were 20 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one way to look at it Matt. Another would be to say they were too expensive 20 years ago [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

New Charvels at Veneman's with basic solid finishes and hardware could be had for $650-700 or so if you haggled. That was a lot of money for what was essentially a kit guitar.

So adjusting for inflation, that would be between $1200 and $1300. Still a tad too high for a plain bolt-on guitar - that's about what USA Fender Artist models run and they always have some nice hardware and/or electronic "upgrades" or non-standard configurations/finishes/neck profiles/etc.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

but 12-1300 is what a gmw replica costs, but that's priced okay? no one ever complains about those prices.
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plain US made guitars should hit the street at about $600-800 with a case or heavy duty gigbag (not a black rain coat). Gibson and Fender both do it with the Faded and Highway series. Certainly no more than $1000 because now the list of alternatives grows considerably. You can say those guitars aren't a Charvel and you'd be right but a Charvel isn't them either but it is still a reasonable comparison. Again, I'm not talking about made to order custom shop stuff here or limited runs - just a basic guitar with a solid finish.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              but 12-1300 is what a gmw replica costs, but that's priced okay? no one ever complains about those prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

For 1200-1300 from GMW you could get a Green Meanie. Please get a quote from Charvel on that and let me know what the price is.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to ask this, have you played a GMW?
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plain US made guitars should hit the street at about $600-800 with a case or heavy duty gigbag (not a black rain coat). Gibson and Fender both do it with the Faded and Highway series. Certainly no more than $1000 because now the list of alternatives grows considerably. You can say those guitars aren't a Charvel and you'd be right but a Charvel isn't them either but it is still a reasonable comparison. Again, I'm not talking about made to order custom shop stuff here or limited runs - just a basic guitar with a solid finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

So typical of someone who sits behind a desk to assume a craftsman shouldn't make a decent wage ... that is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure! i've played many. why do you ask?
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So typical of someone who sits behind a desk to assume a craftsman shouldn't make a decent wage ... that is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country

[/ QUOTE ]

So because I sit behind a desk I'm incapable of understanding what someone that doesn't has to do? [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] I don't appreciate that anymore than you would if I were to say something in a similar vein. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] Clearly you underestimate me and what I'm capable of comprehending.

But since you mention it, please explain to me how a craftsman is not making money in that environment? Fender and Gibson are able to do this. Why can't Charvel?

- Newc

Comment

Those highway series guitars and the faded series are bottom of the barrel. I havent picked one up yet that did not have series quality issues. I would much rather pay for something that is of better quality and will last and has pride into it. Those guitars are built to be disposable. lol.

Comment

i'm guessing b/c they don't just offer a highway or faded series. correct me if i'm wrong, but those guitars have some serious cut corners when it comes to the finishing dept. i think that if charvel offered that, the charvel corksniffers (thanks pete!) would be quite angry at them for being so cheap. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

lol. exactly!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Those highway series guitars and the faded series are bottom of the barrel. I havent picked one up yet that did not have series quality issues. I would much rather pay for something that is of better quality and will last and has pride into it. Those guitars are built to be disposable. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree - I've played some fantastic "disposable" guitars. But if set aside that level of guitar, you can certainly get a nice Fender or Gibson for a grand with a basic solid color or burst finish on a plain top - no problem at all.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure! i've played many. why do you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was curious about why you were questioning GMW pricing and I figured that it would be useful to know if you had any experirnce with then. Since you have, then I guess your original quesiton is retorical. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                                X