Need help ID'ing a Geetar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help ID'ing a Geetar

Picked this up today at a guitar show for fairly little dough. It is a Holdsworth neck. I know this is as I have a fairly minty one to compare it to. Has a red/pink Flip-flop paint job, headstock and body. Plays like a mutha.

I dont know much about bodies, but it looked cool to me and played even better, so I bit. It has a Jackson SD plate, so obviously a little funk-ness ging on. I opened the back cavity, looked untouched with orginal solder, etc...and has copper shielding.

Can anyone help ID the guitar as you see it?

Thanks!

Shawn

Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: Need help ID\'ing a Geetar

Nice. I am by no means an expert. However, I am pretty sure that case came with early model series imports for starts so that must be added for the "look". Also, that plate is the huge red flag as you know.

Body looks good to me. I also have a late model s-head and the logo looks right for that to me. floyd nut has what looks like the right amount of corrosion for a mid 80s guitar and the rear mounted floyd nut is also correct for that time frame (86 time frame - although I thought that they run out of charvel logos long before the plates so???).

Jackson plate suggests parts (swapped neck maybe). But since the headstock seems to match the body (or does it, I honestly cant tell from the pics), maybe parts with a refin. Another thought I had was employee project? Those are my best case guesses.

On the otherhand, could be a fake that someone through together (and depeding on how much you paid, that could be an indication -if it was short money, then ??? cuz why bother faking a charvel without trying to cash in).

Again, no expert here, but I would ask - if the headstock painted or is there a plastic cap? If you take off the cavity covers/pups - does it look like the original paint - that guitar looks very clean - but my late mode s-head also looks very clean in pic and the minor dings are only noticible up close). Finally - how is the neck pocket and neck heel marked? (I guess it is possible that you got a real one that had its original plate jacked and someone through a cheaper plate on there and got a case just to complete the guitar as best they could)

If she plays well then that is all that matters. Congrats on that score.

I am sure the real experts will be alone in a moment.

Is the neck finished?
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

That guitar looks familiar. I want to say someone had it up for sale on CC a few months ago? Not sure - my memory is bad. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm going to say parts mutt with a refin. Neck obviously was orignally a vintage trem converted to Floyd nut. Kahler seems original to the body. So the two do not agree. Matching head makes me think one or both were refin'd to match.

Comment

you found my guitar !!! I seriously put that one together .Please, if you decided to sell it, let me have 1st crack at it

Comment

Heres the story.Ibought the neck on ebay years ago, and spend atleast 3 years looking for a body to match the headstock.A guy back east josie5, bought this one, and we traded a pink jackson body, for that one.I have looking for this one since i sold it to Tony in 2003.Like i said, i would love to bring her home, so when you get done using her, i'll gladly take her back!

Comment

I certainly assumed it was a parts guitar, but the body and headstock match. Maybe not perfect, but damn close.

The neck is definitely a Holdsworth, as I have one here to compare it too. Its a finished neck, exact same size as the other.

I spoke to bad seed, and he filled me in on the story on this. If it ever goes, it's definitely going to him.

Thanks for the help.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Glad we finally tracked her down !!

Good talking with ya, it sounds like she went to a good home.

Yeah, they dont match completely, but as close as your going to get.The guy i bought the neck from said the body was unusable.Probably broken i assumed.He didnt go into much detail.

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
              X