Strathead experts.....opinion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strathead experts.....opinion please

A friend just today acquired a supposed Charvel strathead. I'm good with 'pointy' knowledge, but I'm very limited on strathead knowledge, so I've done some homework researching on usacharvels.com to try to verify it but, some things don't add up. I was wondering what the experts can tell me.
    - removed the neck and saw 5-5-81 written. It has close 12th fret dots, a very very worn/dirty maple fingerboard, skunk stripe, and trus rod adjust at heal
    - logo is about 80% scratched off, but you can see the 'made in usa' and the 'tm', According to the info, the logo should be 2-1/4" wide, however this logo is 2-1/2" wide, which is not supposed to exist until 1983
    - tuners are black gotoh looking with the 90 degrees sideways tab, these aren't supposed to be there until 1983 (there are no extra tab screw holes visible).
    - it has a OFR, which we assume was added later as OFRs didn't exist until 1983. HOWEVER, in theory this 1981 neck should have had a E/B string retainer, yet there is no hole for one. It has a floyd nut with the mounting screws going thru the neck. The nut ledge and routing for the screws on the backside look either factory or very well done luthier mod. Has a floyd type string retainer, plus two extra holes above the retainer (looking like they moved the retainer about 1/8" lower).
    - neck plate is a aftermarket black with a funky serial number. The seller says he put that on when he pawned it once, and he is now looking for the original plate. Unknown if it is the solid brass prepro or the cast serial one.
    - body looks charvel, appears to be amber colored ash, cavity cover triangle shape is charvel, however it has a metal plate (again, not used until 1983).
    - has a black pickguard with 3 singles and 3 mini toggles and 2 (maybe 3 I can't recall) volume/tone controls.

So our quandry is that the neck says 1981, yet so many other things point to 1983, so we are wondering if its real, or a mix/match mutt of possible USA charvel parts, or what? I told my friend that one super important thing to do is to get that original neck plate.

So your opinions, is it worth keeping, or should he get his money back from the seller?

Re: Strathead experts.....opinion please

Sounds like a mutt.Lets see some pics!

The camera doesnt lie

Comment

I just knew after I posted someone would ask for pics! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I'll see if my friend can bring it to his work monday so I can take some.

Comment

Floyd Rose units were used already in the late 70's, though they didn't have finetuners, or at least some had fine tuners but close to the bridge. I think there has been a Heineken Charvel with a FR unit on the summer NAMM in 1982.

Comment

even if it's parts, them's good parts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

No expert here, but sounds modded to me at best (mixed parts are worst). Pics would be a great help.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

With the lack of pictures and info you have posted, their is as good a chance that you have a fake as a parts mutt.

Pictures forthcomming?
              It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Working...
              X