Help me decide/Body wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide/Body wood

I will be ordering a new Custom Shop Charvel. I already have a Bullseye RI with an alder body I am and looking for a body wood that will give me alittle more chunk/bottom.Mahogany,maple,ash? help me out.Any thoughts?

Re: Help me decide/Body wood

Rampart Guitars has a pretty good reference online. Comparing the woods you're familiar with to those that you're not should give you a pretty good idea of where to go.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Warmoth has some good descriptions, too.

Tone Woods

If you're looking for low end chunk, mahogany. Or korina, even.

Comment

I can tell you this. From your post, I think you want mahagony.

I have a mahagony les paul. Hard rock maple GMW str@t (weighs as much or more than the LP) and a Northern Hard Ash str@t (also heavy, but not as the other) built by a local guy. All 3 have EMG81s in the brigde position.

The mahagony Les is chunckiest, the maple GMW is brightest and for me anyway, the Northern Hard ash is somewhat "just right" or in the middle but closer to bright (kinda sorta - I have been playing the hell out of the GMW lately - awsome guitar).

HTH
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I have to agree with the above post. Mahogany all the way. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

If you go with ash, avoid the heavier northern hard ash and go for swamp ash. Swamp ash is lightweight with great tone, has a nice spank to the sound with good highs, nice lows, a slightly scooped midrange. Mahogany is also a very good choice, one of my favorites, but it's got more lows and low mids, while still retaining good treble definition.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like both ash and mahogany, but if you want those heavy lows, mahogany is your best bet.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
              X