Need advice regarding GMW San Dimas replica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice regarding GMW San Dimas replica

I'm very close to purchasing a San Dimas replica. Any advice you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.
    The tone I'm looking for is similar to early Dokken/George Lynch. Any suggestions regarding wood?
    I've heard good things about GMW Guitars. Can anybody speak as to the mojo of GMW's compared to athentic San Dimas guitars. Is anyone doing these replica San Dimas guitars better than GMW. Theirs been speculation that the new 25th Anniversary San Dimas is not as accurate as a GMW replica.
    Any help here would be great.

Re: Need advice regarding GMW San Dimas replica

Early Lynch guitars were typically maple bodies, with maple necks. He also used EMG's, with floyd rose trems. GMW does an amazing job replicating the feel of an early Charvel.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Its good to get positive feedback regarding GMW. I've been interested in there replicas for over a year. I'm looking to take the plunge and order one w/in a week. I'm currently thinking plum purple, one seymore duncan humbucker a (custom 5)in bridge cream colored pickup.

Comment

GMW's are as real as if it was 1984 and you ordered a small custom shop guitar just like then, even down to the people (ask who makes the actual wood parts) and the templates (original SD parts), does the paint (same guy then as now) pieced together by an excellent Luthier (lee Garver, Neil Moser ) and finally location (if that could or should matter), they're made in Glendora CA (so were all the SD guitars for that matter) Frankly, My GMW hotrod flames is every bit as good, if not better than my SanDimas Charvels. I head to head compared my hotrod flames w/ Charvel 25 anniv. #83 and the gmw is a better guitar hands down.

Comment

I haven't played a GMW yet,although I'm planning on buying one someday, I have played a Charvel 25th anniversary. It played like a Fender, not bad but not great, not a Charvel San Dimas. So I can only imagine that a GMW would be alot better than that. Everyone always gives GMW high marks. I don't see how you can go wrong.

Comment

OOooh man. You guys are making me jones hard for one of these guitars. Sounds like GMW is the way to go. Which pickups did you guys put in your GMW. I'm thinking of going w/ a seymore duncan custom 5. Any opinions.

Comment

I love my GMW - Ratt "Skull" without the "blood drips", heavy hard rock maple body, maple neck/board, EMG 81 and a recessed Floyd with all black hardware. It came exactly the way I ordered it (right down to the extra strap buttons and cavity plate as I have been known to lose them).

The guitar really rips and weigh more than a Les Paul! Very "bright" sound with that wood. If you want more of a bass/warm sound, I would recomend mahagony, or maybe a hard ash body.

I am actually planning another GMW as the moment. Lee is great to do business with and very patient.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I spoke to Lee a few days ago. He recommended alder, since that was the wood primarily used on the San Dimas guitars. I'm also considering mahogany. I want a thick fat tone w/ good bite.

Comment

Working...
                X