What came first....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What came first....

The chicken... no, the egg... no, the chicken... no, the egg... Awwww screw it, who cares, it only matters that when they were both around is when we started making chicken omlettes! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Actually, I'd have to say, I got my first Jackson, then I became a part of the fourm, and then I started buying up as many Jacksons and Charvels as I could afford....
    Occupy JCF

Comment

I have always had a thing for Charvels and Hamers. Charvels because they were cool looking and Hamer because of JP.

The first really nice guitar I ever bought new was a Model 2 in '87. For the same price I could have had a used San Dimas Strat' (I had no idea), but I had to have the new shiny guitar instead of the used one.

A few years later I bought my first "expensive" guitar. It came down to a Jackson SD plated strat with a lightning sky graphic or a Hamer Chaparral. I picked the Hamer. Still have it, I'll always have that guitar.

After college I sold all of my gear except the Hamer and a Model 4 I picked up. Time goes on, marriage, kids, then I find the JCF...now I have 8 guitars, a home studio, and enough gear to make my wife wonder what she got into (BTW, I have the best wife in the world).

The internet really got me back into something I enjoy. It's so hard to find people who are into the same music, guitars, etc. Most of my married friends are into golf, football, baseball, softball, whatever. Most people think I'm nuts when they get in my car and I have Lillian Axe or Tesla in the CD player. The JCF is a super outlet to exchange information with people interested in the same thing I am.

Comment

the guitars...i've only been online for like 3 years and have been playing c/j's for 11+ years...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

my model 1 and the dmb ps6t were firt then i discovered the jcf [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Been playing Jacksons since 1987, Charvels since 1989.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

For me, I've always loved J/C's. One of my first guitars was a BC Rich warlock in about 1987. It was a great guitar but I sold it after a year and soon owned 3 Charvels. Models 1,2,& 6. The Charvels were great playing guitars. Unfortunately I've "not yet" owned an old San Dimas. My main guitars now are my Epi Les Paul Standard and a Jackson JSX-94 Concept. The Jackson gets played way more than the LP. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

The guitars definately came first, although the internet allow me to find guitars I would not have been able to find 10 years ago.

Comment

I definitely became a Jackson-guy before the Internet, but the net has educated me in so many ways...and at the same time it´s fueled the fire [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It´s kinda dangerous to be exposed to all the J/C-goodies on the net!

Comment

Charvel since 87
                    Jackson since 89
                    (I still have both of them)
                    I think I got my 1st computer in 98.(That POS is long gone)
                    I have found a hell of alot more deals online though, so I guess you can say the computer is part of the "problem". [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

First Charvel 83, Jackson 84, first computer 91 (long gone) First internet experience around 93-94 I think.

Comment

I saved all my $$$ and bought my Charvel back in the day and played all over with it. I have had it for over 20 years. I found the forums thru slo100 when I was looking for info on restoration info. I wanted another one plain and simple. The internet is a necessary evil for Collecting.
                        It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

The guitar came first. All the GAS for more guitars came after I started using the internet.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by gtrbuyer:
                            I was talking to my bud Blood Splatter (Chuck) yesterday and he raised a great point. What came first for most of us Charevl enthusaists, was it the guitars or the internet community. That is did we have Charvels (or love them because of our idols) before we discovered online boards that fueled our addictions?

Me a bit of both. I was always a Gibson man (or Gretsch) in college but I was lucky enough to start getting into graphics (ESP, Kramer, Jacksons) in the mid 90's and stumbled across a cool Charvel. Did not know much about them other than from MTV viewing but feel in love with them. Eventually I acquired a few more and they quickly became my faves and the rest is history.

So for me it was internet same time as finding about these cool guitars.

How about you guys...there is a lot of info now available thanks to Rob lane, Rob Witte and others sites and of course the boards so it attracts new people.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Trace, I guess I'm one of the OLD guys here. NO internet boards existed during the times when I'd haul ass from school over to GC in Hollywood to [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] over all of the SD strathead and the pointys in 1983. And by the time I got any serious $$$, I'd lost the desire to acquire any charvels or jacksons [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] However, I came back to my "roots" only after several years of career overkill (read inbalance) and only now refocusing on what made me happy in my "youth" [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

She did.
                              OH whoops what came first. Sorry my bad.
                              For me it was Jackson first then the forum.
                              I didnt consider the quality of Charvel until i got here and actually found out the info that lead me to make some awesome decisions in guitars.
                              But I now know better and have had many a great Charvel.
                              Gil

Comment

After seeing all the guitar gods have them and seeing them in music stores foe 1200-1500 dollars will new less pauls were 750-875,I knew making 3.35 per hour it would be almost imposible.a couple weeks later Wanting a guitar with a whammy,I traded in a 76 Les Paul standard for a Kramer striker.I also had to give them 200.00.A month later an employee of the store seen me at a party and said I have a brand new charvel you can have for 400.00. I bought it never knowing they sold out.So I loved it I had a Charvel.This was in 1986. Now I begin to notice my hero's guitar logo's were gold or black and the ones in the store were still 1200.00.So I ended up keeping it a year and selling it. It wasn't until 1991 I wanted to find the ones with the other colored logo's. A music store owner told me of one about an hour away. I went to his house and it was a EVH graffic pointy,logo in yellow made in USA under it insted of Jackson/Charvel,neckplate had a different address. He wanted 400.00,I didn't get it,it had black finger nail polish all over it,thats all I can remember. Eventually I figured it out the ones written in black or yellow were American made,what the pro's used. Now I say to myself Wow,80's music is out ,I could probably by these guitars for pretty cheap. I made a few calls to some out of town music stores with no luck.I said to myself I only make minimum wage I would take out a loan so I forgot about it for a while. I started to work at the college in Oct. of 98 and the second day a worker showed me how to search on the internet. In five minutes I found Bret's,Larry's,and Ralph's site and I was hooked. Everyday during lunch and after work for hours I would be glued to the pc.From then till this very day Charvel's, the history, quality and who use to play them while we were in our teens etc.There is just a strong,obsession,conection,love or whatever it is but I am sure alot of us have that similar feeling for the guitars.It is much more than just the quality of the guitar.

Comment

Working...
                                X