Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Pro "parts guitar" vs. The Real Deal....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Pro "parts guitar" vs. The Real Deal....

I've had the chance to play several guitars put together with old parts, as well as a few where the neck/body "seal" has never been cracked...

There is unmistakeably something going on with these guitars - a definite vibe....but I've got to say that I'm completely blown away by the prices people are willing to pay for the Frankenstein versions....the all original ones I totally understand...

So, is it "vibe" and "mojo" thats being purchased? or just kick ass guitars? and if the goal is a truely kick ass players guitar, why not just order up a fresh GMW and save some some bucks and get a no issues guitar? And I'm not at all saying the parts version I've played weren't killer too....but....

Re: Pre-Pro "parts guitar" vs. The Real Deal....

I think Most would like real Charvel parts. Say I had an unmolested SD body w/graphic. I could spend another $600 completing it with fake parts. Go to sell it as a complete guitar/maybe get $600-$700(on a good day). Sell the body alone/maybe get $500 or more. The "parts" guitars are usually worth their sum of parts or more.
    Ive seen SD necks hit $600
    Plates better than $400
    Tuners $250!! Alot of guys here keep better track of the pricing stuff.

GMW's are no doubt nice. Will they ever be collector items. Maybe some day.
    Will "Original San Dimas"(the 80's plated ones) ever be made again..........NOPE

Comment

Re: Pre-Pro "parts guitar" vs. The Real Deal....

Originally posted by STARGUITAR:
      The "parts" guitars are usually worth their sum of parts or more.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with you 100%, it's that way with most guitars - but I guess my question is more about dropping pretty crazy money on a guitar thats obviously a parts put together (with some potential forgery b.s. going on....) vs. just waiting for the real deal - if the sole intent is to just hoard and not play.

Comment

Re: Pre-Pro &quot;parts guitar&quot; vs. The Real Deal....

I love parts guitars.
        I have 2 strat head necks that have been on several diffrent bodies.
        I really prefer the traditonal Strat body with the fender style pick guard. (hum single single and a Floyd)
        So I am always changing stuff around and it's fun.
        I get that "New Guitar" thing out of my system with out sinking a buttload of cash into it, and it still feels & plays the way I like.
        I have a GMW and want to order another. Just waiting on funds. I have it (the dream GMW) all planned out down to the last detail. I just need cash!

Comment

To me if its real SD parts then it doesn't matter. I only have one modded pointy San Dimas Charvel and a neck and plate from another. The parts are what matter to me. I'm not one to worry about log books, mods and accuracy etc. If there are authentic San Dimas Charvel parts all put together to make a great player then its San Dimas Charvel [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don't like seeing these parted out to make a buck at all. There are only so many SD's to begin with. There so many more that we don't know about too. Mojo....the old necks have it. I like the pointy as I do not have any strat heads but the old pointy necks feel great (even few of the early Jackson necks)

GMW makes a great SD Strat head replica for the players of the world. Not too much in them as far as collectability but they are the next best thing to an original. I'd rather pay 1200 than 3500 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but thats just me...
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Just my .02 of a dollar. Umm, Charvel's have always been parts guitars, haven't they? I mean, they grab a neck off a rack, assign it to a body w/ a work order (customization is in the paint/graphic and the chosen parts/electronics in fact). With a GMW you get the same thing, down to the same guy that did most of the graphics back then and the wood cut from the same templates by a certain unnamed dude who built the original RR guitar (in his garage I heard) and set up by some of the best guys there are? You know what, I ordered one of these way back in the 80's, just a plain black 1 hum pointy w/ a Kahler and had no notion I was buying a collector guitar, just a kick ass player w/ a great following at the time (1985) and a cool headstock and logo (pointy). Yeah, logo. That's the thing that caught my attention when I first saw these guitars (I thought it was a skeleton key until I got to see one up close) Ended up sounding and playing killer, but alas, when I joined the Marine Corps, it was superfluous and I sold it for 600 bucks.. Now I can have the same thing, only w/out the logo (unless I put one on I guess, which I did to my GMW, again only because they look cool), and it plays better than what is coming out of the shop now, maybe not a ton better, but better ( I a/b'd mine w/ 25 anniversary # 83. What the hell is "MOJO"? sounds like some sort of superstitious crap to me. Frankly, I think You'd be hard pressed to tell a difference. I mean it is cool because these old guitars take us back, in my case to old KU and the burgeoning thrash metal scene of the mid to late 80's. Frankly, every time I pick up one of these guitars I remember more of the great times partying back then and the fact that my wife won't let me even get close to having that sort of fun any longer. I still have fun, but different fun. Oh well, I guess I got death to look forward to? Anyone seen my old bandmates (Conformity Kills)

Comment

Originally posted by charvel pointy head:
              Just my .02 of a dollar. Umm, Charvel's have always been parts guitars, haven't they? I mean, they grab a neck off a rack, assign it to a body w/ a work order (customization is in the paint/graphic and the chosen parts/electronics in fact). With a GMW you get the same thing, down to the same guy that did most of the graphics back then and the wood cut from the same templates by a certain unnamed dude who built the original RR guitar (in his garage I heard) and set up by some of the best guys there are? You know what, I ordered one of these way back in the 80's, just a plain black 1 hum pointy w/ a Kahler and had no notion I was buying a collector guitar, just a kick ass player w/ a great following at the time (1985) and a cool headstock and logo (pointy). Yeah, logo. That's the thing that caught my attention when I first saw these guitars (I thought it was a skeleton key until I got to see one up close) Ended up sounding and playing killer, but alas, when I joined the Marine Corps, it was superfluous and I sold it for 600 bucks.. Now I can have the same thing, only w/out the logo (unless I put one on I guess, which I did to my GMW, again only because they look cool), and it plays better than what is coming out of the shop now, maybe not a ton better, but better ( I a/b'd mine w/ 25 anniversary # 83. What the hell is "MOJO"? sounds like some sort of superstitious crap to me. Frankly, I think You'd be hard pressed to tell a difference. I mean it is cool because these old guitars take us back, in my case to old KU and the burgeoning thrash metal scene of the mid to late 80's. Frankly, every time I pick up one of these guitars I remember more of the great times partying back then and the fact that my wife won't let me even get close to having that sort of fun any longer. I still have fun, but different fun. Oh well, I guess I got death to look forward to? Anyone seen my old bandmates (Conformity Kills)
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good points, everybody...

In the end, it is all about having fun, and whatever it takes to get you there is what it takes [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

Working...
              X