Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, my bad, my decal topic was moved, but to where??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OK, my bad, my decal topic was moved, but to where??

Originally posted by Zerberus:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RR05xx:
    ...(and even then, I wonder where the JT-6 and the Jackson pickups of the late 80s were actually made, Japan?? I suspect) ....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jt6 trems have "made in Taiwan" in HUGE letters on the Block, so my guess would be Taiwan [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Not too sure on the Pups, tho...
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Fernandes also used this tremolo at one point. I saw an older Fernandes with the JT-6 badged with the Fernandes logo.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But the refusal to make custon S-Heads and the price tags on the "re-issues" is just rediculas
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While I agree I would like to see stratheads opened up to custom ordering I have to disagree with you on the pricing of the "limited reissues". Yes the 25th was a bit steep at $4k list but the bullseye in my understanding comes no where close to that and in fact is comparable to some of the other Jackson stuff in price.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sure the "limited reissues" are not ludicrously price like the 25th, but a GMW is still a FAR better value since you have complete control of what you get. I can pick the woods, components, dimensions, get my choice of graphics, etc., etc. etc... It is basically the same as ordering a custom Charvel in the 80s and it will be close to or less than the price of one of the "limited reissues". The choice seems obvious to me. I'm having Lee build me a replica of this guitar as we speak:

Can't wait to get it and I'll proudly have a GMW logo on it rather than paying more for less value with a Charvel SD logo... I'll posts some pics when it arrives...

Steve
      Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
      My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)

Comment

Sure, GMW is a better value for something like that, but to many, there's no substitute for the real thing, no matter how good it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RP:
          Sure, GMW is a better value for something like that, but to many, there's no substitute for the real thing, no matter how good it is.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But that is the point to me. What is the "real thing" anymore? The only thing separating a GMW from "the real thing" (an actual SD Charvel in 10 condition) is the logo. A truly custom guitar just like the original - surely the logo on the reissues isn't all that people care about is it? Because a GMW is certainly closer to "the real thing"...

Steve
          Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
          My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)

Comment

Sure it depends on what your definition of "real thing" is, but to many, it means one offered by the Charvel company.

Certainly nothing wrong with a GMW. I'd love to have one myself, especially if I was really wanting a strathead. But it's likely I would purchase a new USA Charvel Standard (with a pointy) before a custom GMW even though I'd be paying a premium to get a guitar that isn't a custom like the GMW would be. Just because having an actual Charvel means something to me (plus, I do prefer the pointies). No matter how good the GMW is or how close it is to the originals or how many former J/C custom shop employees work there, it's still a copy. An extremely good copy at a very good price, but still a copy. Nothing wrong with having one, and it may well be a better guitar for many people than a new Charvel. But it will never be a Charvel.

And, as it is, I do believe that Jackson/Charvel will offer more and more options as time goes on, but they're always going to be more expensive than GMW, probably. Brand names do have some value to many people.

Comment

The best Charvels were made in Japan. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Double post.

Comment

Awesome thread!

Comment

I have faith in Fender to do right with Jackson/Charvel. From what I've seen so far, they're on the right track. Is everything perfect? Of course not, but it seems like each new announcement gets us closer to that ideal.

The return of a legitimate Charvel is one area where I think it's obvious that they're trying to get it right. The new Charvel Standards are spiritual successors to the original pointies. And the price is very attractive (pricing them with Kevin and Matt, I was incredibly impressed. If not for my car being in the shop for months at a time, I would've already ordered one). A return of the star body. The retros being available at all (and at an attractive price. Yes, it's about a significant premium over a pointy, but that's often true of ANY limited edition guitar. And the premium - probably $700 or so list price - isn't completely outrageous).

And after being pretty well dead, the JCF series is back. And I don't know how previous ownership was about custom runs of imports, but the DK2 import run that's underway is pretty cool, too, and something that a lot of guitar companies wouldn't allow (looking at the JemSite, it seems that the minimum numbers for a custom run were considerably higher than what J/C requires).

To me, the 1990s were the down time for Jackson/Charvel. They still made some good products, but it wasn't the glory years, for sure. I honestly think that Fender is trying to get those glory years back on track. Will it ever be the way it was "back in the day"? Probably not (though how much of "back in the day" is true memory and how much is "good ol' days" syndrome?) But I think they're trying very hard to get to the spirit of what our memories of Jackson/Charvel in their glory days.

To me, even if it never gets any better than it is now (a return of "true" USA Charvels with strat and star bodies and some cool options at a great price, the occassional strathead limited edition and not too bad a price, continuing of the Jackson USA line the way it has been, a new JCF guitar each year, whether I get to buy one or not in any particular year, etc.), it's better than it has been in many years and good enough to keep me pretty satisfied.

But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                    X