THE GUNK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE GUNK

what do you guys think? there are the old broken in necks, and there are the old broken in necks with some serious gunk on the fretboard. we all love the feel of an old neck with a ton of playing mileage on it, but how do you feel about the gunk? i have only wiped down my magic elvis strat about 3 times since i have owned it, and i did not wipe it down too hard. sometimes i feel like i will wipe some of the magic off it so i went real easy whenever i wiped it down for a light cleaning and then put some linseed oil on it for that unmatched "extra slippery luscious linseed liquid legato-like layer" on the board.
    i saw a picture of jeff beck with a telecaster and the neck had like a quarter inch layer of gunk on it. i don't think he cleans it either. do you think the gunk has a large effect on the tone as well? am i cracked? guess so-lol
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Re: THE GUNK

I'll one-up ya on the "cracked" thing, I not only love the gunk on the board but on strings as well! If the strings are too new and the frets are too shinney and slippery I can't play that great, I'm all over the place. I can dig into the strings, grab them and play much sicker when they're a little shitty (not alot though). I guess it goes back to the 80's spending all my money on beer and not strings! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't mind them used, but keep 'em pretty clean. Nothing overboard, mind you. That can hurt, particularly on maple FBs. But lose the gunk. Or at least, the top layers that aren't deep-rooted into the wood.

Comment

I love the gunk...its cool and gives the neck both a cool vibe and FEEL..check out the gunk on my prepro

http://www.kisstribute.com/charvel/g...lery/19021.htm
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

The gunk has to go!

Comment

I like the look of a nice worn maple fretboard but not a filthy one,if the gunk is building up on either side of the fret it has to be cleaned!!LOL!! Hey Tommy,you have a new #?? Call me or E-mail me,I haven't been able to call you for weeks bro!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

it depends who on produced the gunk.

Comment

i wonder what kind of buzz you could get off the gunk on my guitars- [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

But Tommy's gunk would be fake, right?
                  It does not have the mojo if it's fake. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                  Dime me up, fruitbat!!

Comment

i'm actually watching a special on the discovery channel about fruitbats right now. i swear.
                    ask chad ashley-lol

Comment

I am opposed to the gunk! [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The gunk rules!

I have a good gunk story.
                        About 10 years ago I used one of my Ernie Ball Music Man EVH guitars as my main gig/studio/everything guitar. This guitar rarely left my hands & it had the most impressive gunk build up I've ever experienced. Played fantastic because of it.

Well....The guitar was stolen & I was totally freaked out without it.
                        Luckily, it was later recovered & I got it back, BUT......the bastard that stole it cleaned of all of the gunk!
                        The guitar was never the same to me.

Comment

what a prick. first he's a thief, and then he cleans the gunk off so he could charge as much as he could by making it look cleaner. is the gunk back on it by now? never felt the same huh? i think there is something "vibey" about the gunk after all.

Comment

The only gunk of mine that has "vibe" ends up in or on my wife. ...Oh wait. That's spunk, not gunk.

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Definitely something vibey about the gunk.

No the gunk isn't back on that Music Man EVH.

That's actually another good story. The guitar was gone for TWO YEARS...almost exactly to the day.
                              The gunk cleaning asswipe then walked into a guitar shop where a friend of mine was working & tried to sell it.
                              In the absence of the red MM EVH, I picked up a goldtop Wolfgang that did develop an accumulation of gunk almost as impressive as that of the red MM EVH.

By the time that red EVH came home, I had gotten into other guitars....Charvels among them...so no more gunk.

Hey......here's a question. Any theories on the origin of the gunk?

Back when I was collecting gunk on those VH guitars I had a hell of a lot of very long hair that I put a lot of hair products in. I know that mousse, gel, hairspray combo made it to my guitar regularly...especially playing live.

Now I shave my head every other day & my guitars have no gunk. Hmmmm....

Comment

Working...
                              X