Prepro education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepro education

Okay lets learn together, here is a cool one on ebay for us to discuss.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...722052487&rd=1

What looks good to me:
    1. correct thick black plastic cover plates
    2. correct era logo (no "Made in USA")
    3. correct 21 fret neck, neck dot spacing, skunk stripe and headstock shape
    4. correct black anonized metal neck plate and input jack. Furthermore, correct wear on the neck plate to expose steel underneath.
    5. Neck pocket writing similar to others I have seen from this era
    6. overall it looks good IMO

What looks out of the oridinary
    1. body shape..is it possible that this Charvel is a dinky prototype?? Aftermarket work?? but the finish looks original...why different body shape - prototype...dinky???
    2. nonoriginal case
    3. Floyd installed (which was common mod)and also the repaired holes in neck from the Floyd mod

The body shape looks differnet but I think its legit (IMO)...what do others think?

Remember that everything was possible in Charvel Land maybe it was custom ordered with a different body shape. Maybe the body was shaped at factory that way because of the mineral depoist or there was a knot in the wood. If ya look at close up pic of lower horn you can see a mineral depoist.

Remember later in the 80's Steve Vai routed the lower horn on his green meanie Charvel, maybe he got the idea from this one, highly unlikely but ya never know.

What people think...
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Re: Prepro education

This has been on the bay before...and IIRC discussed here in another thread.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

can ya post the link to the old thread Ron? Thanks in advance like to see what others thought about this one.
      Cheers
      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel

Comment

Aw man! You're gonna make me *work*? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Restore my post count and I'll think about it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...;f=11;t=002082

...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Or prior to that one
              http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...000;p=1#000000

Comment

Thanks guys..interesting reading..seems in the last thread the mannequin got more attention than the guitar..lol.

I think any shape was possible..remember the Stryper pointy Explorer...

Comment

never mind, just answered my own question lol

Comment

Would Charvel have used this body for a full transparent finish even though there are some mineral stains/knots on the edge of the bottom.rear and lower cutaway? It looks like something they would have done a sunburst style finish on to hide the wood fl;aws. Or did they use flawed wood on other fully transparent guitars?

Comment

yeah they used flawed woods in a few of the early ones..Bret owns a trans red 5 digit that has heavy mineral staining on the back. I have seen a few others also.

Comment

That is good to know.

Comment

While it's possible that it's a prototype Dinky body, I think it's more likely that the body was mod'd sometime through the years. The changes are more than just the deeper horns.

Look at the pic of the back of the body. The other contours - and in particular the comfort bevel - have been sanded to be deeper and more round, if you will. Think Carvins "rounded edges" body option. And look how the comfort bevel seems to extend all the way through the top horn. Weird. Never seen that before.

Like you said, Tracy, anything was possible then. The cavities seem correct. But I suspect someone went to town on that body, and it ain't pretty. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X