Figured woods vs graphics..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figured woods vs graphics..

After seeing Kev M's nice score I was thinking what do people prefer: trans finsishes over cool wood grains (flamed or birdseye maple for example)or graphics.

For me I like them both but as I age I really dig the trans finishes over cool wood grains. One of my grails in Charvel Land for a while is a flamed top (no binding) 1 hum v-tremmer like the one owned by Rob Witte.
    http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/museum/...cs/ch2585.html

Basically 180 degrees from where I started noting that I only bought graphics first when I started looking for Charvels.

Also of note is the fact that trans finish on Charvels are much rarer than their solid color or graphic adorned brethern.
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Re: Figured woods vs graphics..

Definitely think they're both cool, but given a choice, I would pick the figured wood guitar over the graphic (that is probably old age talking [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ).

Back in 1987, my father offered to buy me either a new Jackson or a new PRS. I just looked at him like he had 3 heads... who would want a PRS, I said. It just wasn't what the 80's were about.

If I had only know, I would have chosen that PRS...

Comment

I like both, but I lean towards the figured wood these days or solid colors. My age speaking as well i guess. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Always liked the Trans finish.. To bad they never did a Trans finish with a graphic - or did they [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

IMO, theres too much figured wood these days. Nearly every guitar model out there is available with a flame maple top. Its overkill. $200 Jacksons, Squires, Ibanez's all have flame. I'm seriously bored with flame and quilt. I predict a backlash sooner or later.

Of course, sticking to the subject of the thread, I think the flamed Charvels are really nice - especially the ones with the fat binding. If it was between a flame and a bullseye, I'd have to go bullseye.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Trans colors on figured woods kick ass! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I never cared too much for graphics.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I prefer both graphics and transparent finsishes on figured wood.

Comment

I prefer nice woods (not just figured). To my eyes nothing looks cooler than a medium flame or quilt triple dyed in an amber/cherry burst, nice grainy mahogany, and a dark, waxy (think melted hershey bar) brazilian fretboard. My Kelly is a transparent finished guitar over a grainy and matched piece of wood and that is my favorite San Dimas finish wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby:
                  I prefer both graphics and transparent finsishes on figured wood.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">second that one. with soooo many boutique builders these days, the old-school Charvel graphics are soooo much more appealing (to me anyway!)

Comment

Originally posted by Hossman:
                    .. To bad they never did a Trans finish with a graphic - or did they [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For myself, years ago I was also thinking about custom ordering a graphic on a quilted maple top.

The back cover page of the Y2K Jackson catalog shows a Rhoads with a 3D HRF graphic. Underneath the HRF you can see a figured maple through the dark transparent background color.

Comment

Graphics. There are too many guitars out there with killer trans/quilt/flamed etc... finishes. Even the Jay Turser and the cheaper Epi's have killer "natural finishes" although the finish on my 1998 Fender Strat Deluxe in Trans teal grean over ash is really killer.

Comment

A Pencilsketch Gargoyle woould look killer on a Mary Kay type trans finish.

Comment

Not to change the topic here, but who else was putting out figured tops like those in the early 80's? Hamer is the only one I can think of right now, there surely are more....but still stained figured wood was a pretty rare finish for any guitar back then, was it not?

Comment

nice wood, i was never a big fan of graphics. its too bad that alot of companies are doin nice tops & photo flames on everything nowadays. ever since i was younger & saw a quilt maple bich & a flamed Koa mockingbird i think i was hooked.
                            one of my dream guitars for a very long time has been a solid flame maple charvel strat. i also like the charvel pearl colors & when they used a different color pearl over a base color.

Comment

Nothing better than a woodie!
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X