Figured woods vs graphics..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Figured woods vs graphics..

Ibanez offered flame tops on a few models in the early 80's. Most early PRS guitars I see are solid colors. The flame thing looks to have started gaining interest in the late 80's, like when you start seeing the Jackson archtops.

Comment

gold sparkle rules.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Gold Sparkle is a Favorite of mine too.. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

While I like trans-finishes/figured woods I prefer graphics & probably always will,it's one of the things that drew me to Charvel/Jackson in the first place!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

Never a big fan of graphics myself. I vote for trans or solid colors.

Comment

It depends on the guitar for me. I like the look of a flame/quilt top better overall, but if I'm playing heavier music, I like solid colors. I don't want the guitar to look too pretty for that stuff. I just plain don't like most graphics on guitars.

Comment

None of my graphic guitars have ever stuck around very long, and I'm sick of pretty tops (with a couple exceptions). I prefer solid colors.

Comment

Graphics for me. The wilder the better...

Steve
                  Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
                  My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)

Comment

Graphics! On a Jackson or Charvel anyway. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer the trans finishes, especially a nice burst. I like to actually see the wood. Wood is good. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Why settle for just either/or?
                        Transparent graphics over figured wood are the future!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Depends on the guitar. For example, I like RRs in solid colors or with pinstripes or painted bevels, but don't care for them with graphics and really dislike them with flame tops. OTOH a PRS looks silly without a nice quilt/flame top.

Regardless I do think the quilt/flame thing is way overdone these days and it's not a selling point for me at all unless we're talking about a high(er) grade solid flame/quilt body, that's still cool. Cool graphics are still a plus though.
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

i don´t really like the modern figured stuff
                            especially not with that chrome hardware trend nowadays [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                            [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] hardware has to be black or brass
                            the only grain i really like is a solid maple body transparent laquered
                            like the red one at www.sandimascharvel.com
                            you know the one with these dark stains at the back
                            this one´s a killer [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                            unfortunately the site doesn´t work for me at the moment

overall i think a Jackson/Charvel is born for graphics
                            the point is:
                            you want a 80´s guitar, so you want a 80´s graphics [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I started on solid color guitars, and I've gathered a small stable of figured top guitars, now I think I am ready for some graphics [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I like balance - some transparents, some graphics, some solids. But, if I had to live with only one, it'd be a transparent.

Comment

Working...
                                X