Original finish..tough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original finish..tough?

I gotta give a big shout out to Jim "da man" Shine for pointing something out to me regarding the finish on Charvels; namely that the original clear coat used is pratically indestructible. The beauty of this little known fact is that acetone is your friend to remove old stickers, even old refins to get back to the original finish without harming it!!!

Jim did a body for Chuck (was painted purple over the original red paint) and brought it to the show..unbelievable what a little acetone, elbow grease and a wet buff can do. I asked Jim to remove the finsih off of that Explorer I just got to bring her back to her original finish underneath.

So if ya ever need to get off a sticker, some nail polish or even an old refin which was done on top of the original finish, acetone does the job quickly without damage. Ya learn something new everyday.
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Re: Original finish..tough?

I have the pictures Chuck sent me of the refin and I'll post them after I get home from work if no one beats me to it.

What is the plan to fix the horn on that one and still be able to match the paint?

Comment

before:

in process:

Comment

Jim did a great job on this body,I can't thank you enough Jim,too cool!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

Man, that's crazy cool! That body has been around the block a few times, glad to see Splatterpuss is trying to re-hab it!!

Comment

I really wish I had the extra time to wetsand the sides and back to make them look like the front.

Another tip, mix a 1:1 ratio of acetone and lacquer thinner. This helps give you the bite of acetone with the slower flash of lacquer thinner. Use a rough textured rag. Be sure to have a ton on hand. If acetone and lacquer thinner do not do the job, try denatured alcohol.

Carefull using strippers as they almost always have the ability to strip the factory paint.

Lance, Chuck had me keep the new paint in the cutaway so it wasn't raw. A cool idea would be to maybe do some sort of sunburst band of maybe a darker color red metallic to hide that bare area as well as fix some of the color burn through done on the sides when the previous owner sanded the original paint.

[ May 24, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Working...
            X