Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charvel headstock pixs rd 2 (chicago)

here's the pictures of the neck and body cavity
    hossman i forgot to get pixs of the jackplate but its brass and thin (football style)
    let me know what you see or do not see!!-thanks
    there is a page 1 and 2
    <<<*>>>

Re: charvel headstock pixs rd 2 (chicago)

Body
    The neck pocket markings, pku routing and the pickup itself (bottom having paper logo) are all correct compared with other examples I have seen. That body looks legit BUT is not a prepro one, it is from the serilaized era (1983) so someone robbed the neck plate.

Hard to comment on the paint without seeing it first hand...any chips, any primer seen?? Possible it maybe refin but again I need more pics to make that determination. Overall the body looks good to me from what you have shown.

Neck
    The truss rod nut is period correct as are the neck heel markings (date and initials). The bottom of neck has some markings that may or may not be correct. I assume the neck is lacquered (finisjed) has you see the paint stick holes on the neck butt (extra screw holes near the screw holes to bolt to body). The neck still looks funky to me (headtsock ball looks funny) but everything else is consistent.

My 3 cents..body is the real deal (maybe refin??), neck is possibly real (the ball still looks funny) but sadly now a parts guitar with someone already taking the tuners and neck plate.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Tracy

aside from the date, what points to 83?

378 production number? Possiblydate added when neck replaced? Or I could be grasping at straws

http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/museum/...s/ch18013.html

Just a thought
      It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

The pku having both the paper logo and the embossed Seymour Duncan logo suggests 83 or later..early pkus (used in prepro era) have only paper logos no embossed Seymour logo on the bottoms. I am assuming the pickup is original to the guitar though to make this connection.

Also the guitar has metal back plates if I recall correctly, again earlier (prepro and early serials) used thick plastic ones.

Finally the input jack is not square shaped but rather football, again indicating its not an earlier body. Again I am assuming the input jack is original to this body.

Again anything is possible, a hands on is a must but from just looking at the pics it looks okay to me and 1983 sets right from the info gathered from the pics.

Check out my site there is a lot of prepro stuff in my "history" tab. The history section is divided into sections example neck, hardware, bodies etc..again there are always exceptions but have a look www.usacharvels.com to see some of the prepro trends.

Cheers
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel

Comment

Great info

I just find it strange that the brass plate would be missing from the cavity. That makes me think the p/u is not factory.

What do you think of the rectangular pass thru hole between the trem cavity and humbucker route? Is it possible that this is a true parts guitar assembled by someone in the know? I have not taken my covers off to double check, but I only rememeber seeing this in older guitars and parts bodies

K

Comment

ok gtrbuyer...here's why the headstock ball looks funny...it's not the ball itself...it's the cutaway on the bottom leading into the ball end...it's not as smooth a curve as most of the charvels i've seen (or owned)...looks a little sharp, smaller radius...however it could be the product of somebody having a bad day when they cut it too [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...this one has definitely got me stumped at this pont...d.m.

also...there is one tell-tale sign...the position of the original screw holes for the tuners on the back of the headstock...the sperzels are not stock...
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

lol DM..yelp agree thats why I said someone robbed the original tuners and the neck plate, that headstock still looks funky.

83SanDimas interesting point about some one in the know faking the markings..possible but the neck pocket marking styles are very similar to others I have seen..I do think the body is real.

Again I am assuming everything shown is original, which maybe the wrong assumption.

With regards to the hole in body (pku route going through to the trem cavity route) I have seen this on a few others. Not sure of dates or when it was more common I can look through my stuff later.

To make a good determination...you gotta have it in hand.

[ May 27, 2004, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: gtrbuyer ]

Comment

7/26/83 would give me a date [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                Everything looks great to me. Looks like and maybe an employee project of the day. Employees could make there own guitars but had to pay if they used a Logo'ed neck plate, or maybe this neck plate got warped, as many did, and was just replaced. I bet this guitar stays in tune well. the nut and tuners are not even close to being original, but they were changed out as the owner wanted it to be along with the string trees. Jack Plate is a ??? but who knows it was 20 years ago.
                GREAT GUITAR IN MY BOOK

Comment

Hoss, right back at ya... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

If the date was not there what would you make of the 378 in the pocket?

Tracy, If anyone has a serialized guitar with that pass thru I would be interested in knowing.

I think the body is older than the 82 date, it may have been laying around as a parts body and not built until then. It is possible that is just an assembly date. Someone built a Charvel, "factory person" or other with parts from different years. Maybe not as a fake but as a player. The pocket markings I believe are all real. I just think, pencil marks aside, the body is older. But then again, if that pass thru appears in 82 and older guitars it would make sense to have that date.

[ May 27, 2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: 83SanDimas ]

Comment

I believe you are correct. I have a 1980 with a 377 number in the body (BASS) - The date was either the date to the painter or assembly - I believe it was to the painter/finisher. That would say that maybe an employee was making this guitar and held of prior to finishing it?
                    I would spend my dollars on this one :-)

[ May 27, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Hossman ]

Comment

Those numbers in the neck pocket are related to invoice numbers and can be any number..these numbers have NOTHING to do with the date but rather what page number i.e invoice sheet the order was written on. Check out the exmaple below..see the 1983 date and the same builder IR. Looking in neck pocket you see "72" a very low number! Also notice the marking style is the same on this guitar as on the one in question and both are 1983.

0072 on neck and you see 72 in neck pocket
                      http://usacharvels.com/charvel/charv...2402pocket.jpg

Here is the invoice (work order) see it is #0072 even though its dated 1983
                      http://usacharvels.com/charvel/charv...ery/2402wo.jpg

Food for thought I have (and seen) a few other examples like this, that is a low number in neck pocket of a later dated Charvel.

Comment

0072 is 4 digits.. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        I see your point on yours, but I have many that the body and or neck number is just wrote on the invoice with pen?

Comment

Hoss..yeah I have other examples where you see 3 digits written because the first 0 is left off..example 0521 you see 521 written in the neck pocket. As an interesting tid bit I see all 4 digits are usually written on the neck (that is the '0' are also written) but in the neck pocket the zero(s) are normally left off.

I also as you pointed out have seen early work orders that have the numbers written in pen....
                          example
                          http://usacharvels.com/charvel/charv.../wC1224-wo.jpg
                          so anything was possible I guess. In anyevent I think we all agree that it is a legit body..be a cool grab for somebody!!

Comment

Tracy, I am thinking "80"

The 3 digit makes sense to me

K

Comment

rear comfort contour extends much further south than most serial'd charvels ive seen. most serial'd charvel it ends past the trem route but that one goes alot further. & how it smooths out with the bottom curve alot like a wayne body. so with that & the pickup route cutting into the trem route i think something is fishy.
                              if its an 83' body wouldnt that most likely be a pointy neck, so a strathead would leave a gap. if it a 2 1/4" wide neck....wayne replacement? i dont even collect charvels but i know a date & intials JJ &/or NL & maybe a 3 or 4 digit # possibly even OBD could be written in the pocket.

Comment

Working...
                              X