chicago strathead rd 3 new story w/ pixs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: chicago strathead rd 3 new story w/ pixs

so a question for you Hoss...if we see a picture on ebay of a guitar and the owner writes a blurp that it was employee made etc.. is that pic also worth a 1000 words...and would you believe him. Do you think that guitar on page 104 of the book is worth a thousand words?

It is a very cool guitar but I think it was parts guitar..look how many (from that collection) were parts or didn't match log. I bought the purple pointy that Pete know has, and returned it because the plate didn't match the logs. Also remember the white Strat Head with all the extra holes and added neck pku, the HRF with added neck pku and refin'd area around bridge..etc..actually that reminds me to get those pics up I suspect few people saw those guitars (early serials to boot). The white one with the etra holes (from volume and/or tone being moved around) was funny...

Agree that the guitar is VERY cool but I be wery of it being a "special" bullet or this or that based on info from that book. But hell I have been wrong many other times. I suspect the author just wrote what he was told by the owner..and ya know how that goes..we do see a lot of prepro guitars on ebay that are 100% legit from the descriptions the owner/seller states but ....lol
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

What the owner writes is not as important as what I see, including old pictures. I tend to believe people DOOOHH. The picture on page 104 is a old photo for sure. How many from that era did not match the logs? How many were never in the logs?
      Mods never bothered me. They were done to meet the needs of the owner at that time - if they were done well, now if it was a hack job - well then you have a hack. The Charvel book was wrote to Promote Wayne Guitars - In my view.
      Yeah many PrePro that are not what they say, but many others that I believe, sure would be nice to grab hold of each one prior to bidding, I have been lucky so far and hope to stay that way DOOOHHH.....
      This guitar - I believed from the neck pocket info and the 22 fret neck a employee guitar or maybe a relation gutar? The string trees and nut are not a problem in my book - those were state of the art at one time (the thing to have) and they work quite well.. But the picture just helped me with my beliefs (not proof it is real or not, I believe)

Comment

I see your point Hoss and I am not disputing the fact that this guitar is made from real Charvel parts.

Being a scientist I am very analytical in my information gathering and tend to assume the worse, so to me that pic adds no hardcore value to me. Hell I am writing a Charvel book now, I could get someone to build a piece of crap take a pic of it and throw it in the book. Years later someone may use it as evidence that the guitar was this or that....the fact that so many of those pics in the book are bullshit (from the guitar point of view) weakens its effect for me..there are exmaples of imports, parts, kit guitars etc all simply labelled as Charvels...but very few in my opinion are real.

Anyway just my 2 cents...again prepro and especially employee made guitars are areas I avoid because I don't have enough knowledge most of the time.

Main thing is that the guitar is an awesome player and looks great..
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Ok I gotta chime in here as that strat head in question was my boss'. It is as said a Parts mutt.
          The the neck is laqured which was done and verified. There was no seriel on the neck plate. (blank brass). The body and neck sereils dont match and the pup is a JB. My boss Gary had it transfered in fron the Hollywood store back in like 96,97 whe he started at GC in VP. The body was in reaally good shape only a few minor dings and scrapes the neck felt good but the laqure was a bit sticky to me. The neck had some dings and gauges on it and needs some fret work. Bit it does play pretty good anyway. Too me it was a bit heavy and dead sounding. Maybe it was the JB in it making it too thick but it just didnt have the projection it should. But then maybe im biased with my 82 Strat Head and the duncan Custom..
          Oh and all the parts are Charvel just not of the same guitar.
          Gil

Comment

Gil

That got right to the point.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW Is your Charvel in the gallery? It's a beauty
            It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

No mine isnt in the gallery but it is on my
              webpage. I love it even with the Kahler. Im gettin used to it.. Ive recently started doing a EVH yellow striping to it. But im using yellow tape do it so not to ruin the finish anymore than the belt rash on the back. Ove got the wide stripes done i just eed to find the thin pin stripe tape to finish it.
              I may one day send it to be added to the gallery but you never know.
              Gil

Comment

Killer Charvel Gil & only two serial #s away from my Grim Reaper #1567!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] very cool!!Put it in the gallery with all it's bros!!Please??!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

thanks for the info Gil [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  btw nice strathead [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X