Thoughts on my pawn shop find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on my pawn shop find

Last weekend I stopped into a pawn shop while I was traveling. I had been in the store twice in the last 2 years and each time I was there, one of the managers was telling me he thought he had a couple Jacksons and Charvels upstairs in the storage attic. But for one reason or another, he couldn’t go up and check (no one else working in his area of the store, too hot upstairs, blah blah blah). So this time I called the store a couple days before I stopped in to see if someone could go in the attic and pull out their J/C’s. Well, the manager came through for me. When I got to the store on Saturday he had found a couple Jacksons (both of them imports) and 4 Charvels (Charvette, model 1, model 3 and this):

I couldn’t believe it when I opened up the case! It’s a strat that’s been heavily modified and played pretty rough. The manager said it’s been in the store for a long time and that it was up in the attic for the last 3 years. He sold it to me with a nice G&G style case for under $300.

Here’s what I can tell ya about it:

-San Dimas plate (#1489)
    -Bill Lawrence pickups (originally a single humbucker and it appears that the 2 single coils were added later since the pots don’t match the original pot)
    -selector switches added for each pickup
    -there’s a four switch and a small red light; the switch is broken so I’m not sure if some kind of kill switch or what
    -gain boost and tone knob added
    -original trem replaced with a chrome original floyd rose
    -neck pocket reads “10-26-82” and “B.L. 10-7-83” (assuming when the pickups and pots were added) and “SS” (no idea what this means) and then there is some other writing which I don’t understand what is means either
    -the body is in good shape with a half dozen chips through the paint; a couple along the sides of the body, one by the edge of the floyd, one on top by the neck pocket and one by the top strap button; the graphic has great detail and a good sheen to it still
    -the neck is a nice, smooth maple neck with a walnut skunk stripe (too bad it’s in terrible shape – dirty as hell, frets are supper thin and very grooved, the board is also grooved but mostly by the first 4 frets)
    -the neck has “2590” written on it twice – once in pencil and once in black marker
    -a lock nut was added – twice! It looks like they placed it next to the original nut before moving again. You can see the plugs on the back of the neck where it was originally installed. They also moved the string tree and plugged those holes.

Here’s a couple pics of the body and neck:

So what do you think? The neck plate and the first date in the pocket seem to match for a 1982 model. But is this a Charvel neck? If so, is there anything I can do to restore it (cleaned/bleached, refretted, etc.) and is it worth it?

I’d like to find more info about this guitar (like getting a copy of the original work order) and get it back into playing shape. Anything else you guys can tell me?

Re: Thoughts on my pawn shop find

No matter what it is {or isn't}, for 3 bills....SCORE! Congrats! Care to double your $$? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Great guitar! Killer score. Feels good when you find something like that doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche:
        So what do you think?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think that kicks major ass [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Congratulations.

Steve E

Comment

looks great to me...post a pic of the single coils..they maybe original routes.
          The neck pocket markings look great and match other examples I have seen (and own). The initials SS is the builder and I have seen other examples of "extra" being written in the neck pocket.
          Example:
          http://usacharvels.com/charvel/charv...ry/1556np1.jpg

The two dates in the neck pocket may indicate time the Floyd mod was done, or some other modification. Or maybe added singles or some other mod, just a guess??

Example:
          http://usacharvels.com/charvel/charv...2364pocket.jpg

It looks great to me..excellent score, cool graphic and looks legit (other than added switches and possibly single coil pickups) to me.

Post a few pics of the single coils..I do think tehy look like factory routes.

Congrats..a beauty for sure...

[ June 18, 2004, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: gtrbuyer ]
          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Wow. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

my dick > =======D----------------

i'm spoogin'. that is so fuckin' cool.
              i am happier than britney spears' soap for you. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Great find. Beautiful guitar.

Comment

That is an incredible find, awesome [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The neck should clean up great with some 0000 grade steel wool. Just be sure and go with the grain. The neck on the SD Jackson I found was disgusting and the steel wool treatment cleaned it up great.

I don't know about the frets. If you want to play it I guess you'll need a re-fret. GMW can do the re-fret and clean the neck. They can even take some of the grooves out of the fretboard while the frets are off.

I love pawn shop guitars [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Clean her up and leave it as is, Don't try to reverse the floyd or anything.

I must confess this guitar gives me that anxious feeling like when you are young and being in the presence of a real pretty girl. I wish for the day I find a hot wheels like that.

Congrads
                    It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

nice one.

as for originality of the 2 singles...it seems that most single hum SDs had the knob placed almost exactly at the space between the bobbins of the hum, but SDs w/ single coils tended to line up more with the bottom corner of the hum. For example, take a look at Tracy's

http://usacharvels.com/charvel/charvelgallery/1993.htm

Since you don't have a knob that lines up with the space between the bobbins, maybe the single routes are original. (but maybe a chance that the top and bottom knobs could have been added because they look positioned a little unusually)

Comment

Great Score! Patience paid off big! Awesome find. And if you ever need your $300 back I will take it off your hands... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow!!That's absolutely killer!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Congrats!!Can't wait to see more pics(great point re:the single coils originality Lance!!)!! I would leave it as is & play the sh*t out of it bro,awesome HRF axe!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

WOW! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I really need to find one of those for myself. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Great score man enjoy! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

$300 with a case for the HRF?!?!
                              KILLER DEAL!
                              Can't be better than that.
                              Congrats!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X