Lookee what I just found -- Charvel Star Strathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookee what I just found -- Charvel Star Strathead

Wednesday was a hell of a day for this boy.

You might have read the thread in the non-jackson talk about my band Crankdaddy playing in a local Battle of the Bands. That would've been enough to make it a Top 10 day.

But look at what I found just hours before we went on:

I found it while I was waiting to meet my family for dinner. There's a guitar store in the mall next the restaurant we were eating at, and it's usually the place you never go to buy anything. Lots of Washburns and Samicks and such. But I walk in, turn a corner towards the wall of electric guitars, look up and see this. My heart freaking stopped, just like it does in all those dreams I have about finding cool guitars (you know you've all had them!)

Anyway, I pull it down, check it out and wonder if it's real. There's no San Dimas plate, just the brass neckplate, so I'm thinking maybe it's a pre-pro. I start talking to the guy and he says they had it in the back, they found it in a box when they moved locations in the mall. No case, no whammy bar, but I figure I gotta have it. How much I say? "Well, he (the owner) originally wanted $1000, but I can sell it to you for $599."

Mine.

Condition is AMAZING. There's one section above the jack plate where the finish seems to have bubbled up and chipped off, almost like when rust bubbles up paint on a car. Other than that, there are a couple minor dings, the brass is somewhat tarnished, but that's it. No major scratches.

I did a lot of checking on Jim Shine's site -- GREAT reference site, Jim, thanks -- and everything seems to match up with his descriptions and photos. Here's some photos of the neck pocket and heel:

If you can't read it, the date says 10-6-81. (October 6 is my wife's birthday....coinky-dink? Or fate? You decide!)

Here are a few more shots for your pleasure:

Brass neckplate, (those are reflections of the ceiling):

Here's the bubble and chip:

And finally, inside the trem and electronics cavity:

I finally see what all the hubbub is about regarding these necks. I've never felt anything like it. Awesome. I can't wait to have this baby set up (I think the strings on it are from 1981 too!) so I can really enjoy it. But right now, as it stands here today, it sounds badass.

So, fellow JCF brethren, how'd I do?

Re: Lookee what I just found -- Charvel Star Strathead

And wow again. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

the orangeman scoreth.
      succulent, juicy, just luscious daddycrankbrain.
      last time i went out for dinner, all i found was the bill.
      this is starting to get sick. we got guys scoring at dinner, getting haircuts,deep sea diving off the coast of costa rica.
      what's next.
      i'm tickled to pieces for ya dude. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Holy Shit....thats a cool graphic..love the pin striping around the bolt...excellent score, contrats!!!
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Un freakin' believable! Congrats!

Comment

Trace...much apologies, brutha. I didn't realize it was YOUR site that gave me all the info. I forgot I linked to it off Jim's site.

Great site, man...thanks for all the info.

Also, is the pinstripe around the bolt something different?

Comment

Crank, you are a lucky man! Go and buy lottery tickets now.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

no problem, I am glad you found my site useful and I am still adding things. More detailed pics will be going up soon and especially neck pocket markings. I am happy to hear that people like the site and find it useful, thats what its there for, copy anything ya want...seriously I encourage anyone to copy anything they want.

yeah the pin stripes all differed in color and the position of the bolt also differed slightly. That is one of the nicest I have seen (Jim Shine hooked me up with a pointy that is similar not to long ago, thanks again Jim).

Congrats again...can you please post a full body shot...I am drooling.

What a great way to start a Friday off on..2 awesome posts showing new Charvel scores for little $$$ (excellent prices). Don't get better than that unless we can make it 3.

Congrats to both you guys on your new additions.
                www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Sweet Jesus that thing is clean. Great score.

Comment

Awesome bro! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Great score!

Comment

Here in the UK it's cause for celebration to find a Japanese Charvel! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

What a score! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Give it the berries!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy:
                        the orangeman scoreth.
                        succulent, juicy, just luscious daddycrankbrain.
                        last time i went out for dinner, all i found was the bill.
                        this is starting to get sick. we got guys scoring at dinner, getting haircuts,deep sea diving off the coast of costa rica.
                        what's next.
                        i'm tickled to pieces for ya dude. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And guys that went out and find the guitar in the thrash. That one was a score of the month for me.

Wondering why I don't have such shitty luck to find guitars everywhere?

Comment

Seriously, Tom - you're marked. You really should go buy lottery tickets. Let me touch the hem of your garment or something, and see if a little of it rubs off.

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Seriously, the last time that I went to dinner all I got was gas. Not g.a.s., but the other kind.

Couldn't happen to a nicer dude! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Keith
                          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Great score I let my once in a lifetime score get away. It was a 1983/84 Blue pointy head v trem Explorer I found in a pawn shop in Daytona. Still kicking myself. Congrats and enjoy. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X