Charvel San Dimas 1505

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel San Dimas 1505

This guitar was ordered in 1982 by my best friend in high school. When he got it ,it prompted me to order my own,(#2089,pointy).
    In 1986 my friend moved to Hollywood where I lived and needed money and was headed in a jazz direction so I bought the guitar from him. Shortly after buying it I scored a gig and thought there was no way I could be taken seriously with the EVH paintjob, so I commenced to decorating the guitar with dripped on nail polish that was kindly donated by some local Hollywood strippers. We went to town on it. This is also a time period where Yngwie and Vai were really establishing the new standards, so of course I routed under the trem and scalloped the neck! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    So many years later I had retired the guitar from active duty and one day dug it out and sanded it down to the wood...then it sat...and then I sold it for 200 bucks! i bought it back a few months later...same condition, same price.
    Then I become friendly with Metalcop and he hounds me to sell it to him and eventually gets me to give in because of his love of Charvels. He then sent it off to GMW to be restored. Matching the paint colours to some paint left in the cavities and the stripe pattern to old pics.
    Some of you may know the story from when he was getting the restoration happening..well all I can say is GMW did a magnificent job restoring this to original, so good that I had to buy it back yet again!! It was really cool to get it back and for Metalcop to let it go after all he put into it. And he didn't hold me ransom that badly [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The original owner was blown away too, he said,"Now just don't wreck it again!"
    Here are some pics...
    now...

when I had it thru the 80s-90s...

and when I sold it to Metalcop...

Re: Charvel San Dimas 1505

Great story! Did most of the dot markers disappear when it got scalloped? And did GMW remake them?

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Beautiful restoration bro!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] !!Congrats on getting it back [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] !!I also have guitars that I've sold & bought back(some several times!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !!),always cool to reaquaint yourself with an old friend eh?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

yeah, it doesn't suck. cool story.
        what years were you out in heaven?
        i'm still there. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        i think i still have some pants that look like
        the nail polish finish in storage somewhere-lol
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

the dots did disappear, you can see what's left of #21, and notice the side dots how long they are. GMW replaced the fretboard, my other one is still scalloped though...
          I was in L.A. from 84-86...now I just like to visit.

Comment

Great looking guitar! Glad to see it's back in original shape (much better than the nail polish graphic).

How does the plug look where GMW filled in the neck pup?

Comment

they actually put a thinveneer over the top. The work is fantastic.

Comment

It looks great. Do you have any pic's of the original finish?
                1990 Jackson Professional
                1992 Dean ML
                2004 Epiphone Flying V
                2005 Epiphone Dot
                2009 Fender Stratocaster
                2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                2006 Fender P Bass
                2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                Custom Pedalboard
                ADA MP1
                ADA FX2
                Tascam 2488

Comment

Yeah, looks like a great job! Congrats
                  1990 Jackson Professional
                  1992 Dean ML
                  2004 Epiphone Flying V
                  2005 Epiphone Dot
                  2009 Fender Stratocaster
                  2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                  2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                  2006 Fender P Bass
                  2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                  1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                  1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                  Custom Pedalboard
                  ADA MP1
                  ADA FX2
                  Tascam 2488

Comment

Awesome! I just recently got a GMW neck and
                    the quality blew me away.
                    Looks like those guys can do it all.

Comment

this is one of the only clearer shots from 1982...it came out perfect.

Comment

What did it cost you guys for GMW to do that? I just bought a JAckson USA body with a neck plate and I just wanted them to build the guitar back to it's original condition. They quoted me over $900 and the pointy head stock would have no logo. What do I do to get a new JAckson neck? That's like crashing your Ford and they don't want to put the Ford logo back on the car. Any ideas besides suspicious EBAY necks?

Comment

It's like CRAP!!!! $200 more and I could just get a brand new GMW shipped with a case!!! So self defeating!

Comment

That deal was win-win for everyone. I got to temporarily own, and restore a great piece of Charvel history. So far, 1505 is the first documented Charvel with a factory Floyd, she is very special. I traded her back to Mike, her rightful owner, and he helped me fulfill my lifelong dream of owning a black Les Paul Custom. Not just any old Custom, but an 81, with a three piece maple neck, a real metal monster. Not to mention the (rarer) all nickel hardware and fine-tuning tailpiece. I wouldn't mind sharing the dollar$ and cents of what I put into that guitar, but Mike will have to chime in, if that is cool or not...
                            Buying a new GMW is cool, but it will never be a real Charvel, not that that is better or worse, just not original. It will never have the same vibe. Get back to me in 10 years when my GMW's are 15 years old, and I'm sure I will be feeling some vibe by then!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I would like to find out how much the refin cost too. I have a Charvel strat that I would like to refin. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X