Charvel San Dimas Series - your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel San Dimas Series - your opinion

What is your opinion on the Charvel San Dimas Series from 1995-1996 compared to the first San Dimas Charvels from the late 70s / early 80s?

What are your comments on this statement from the San Dimas Series catalogue:
    The original tooling and neck templates were located and used exclusively for the construction of the San Dimas Series ...
    Does that mean the neck have the exact same measures and shape as the original/first SDs?

This:
    ..built by the same guys that build the original San Dimas Charvels ...
    Guys like Mike Shannon, Tim Wilson, Pablo Santana, Dan Lawrence?

I hear people saying that the new series does NOT compare at all, but they are nice guitars... does mojo/vintage make you blind?

I never played either so i'm not biased in any way
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

in a word...no..the 96-96 guitars were nice...but not exact to specs...the newer ones are much closer...but still...the old ones were all custom order and no 2 feel exactly the same...everyone will have their preferences...good luck with the can of worms you opened up here...lol...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

So Jackson lied?
      Henrik

Comment

I think they are cool guitars, but many of the features are more Jackson-like than Charvel, imo.

Comment

Well 1st off ..SD-3's for example were 24 fret... so that should answer your first question ..

lastly..no they can't be compared to the originals "feel wise" but they are awesome players and well made. I'd glady own a bunch of tem .. I still have an SD3 I bought new in 95/96
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

SD 3's are very nice but in a different catagory all together.They are nothing like the originals.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have an '82 san dimas strat with a maple/maple pointyhead. jb-custom and a floyd. I also have a 2006 san dimas in candy blue with a maple board and a floyd. I like the new one better! It feels faster/smoother and I enjoy playing it a whole lot more than my old one.

Comment

He's comparin it to the 95/96 series
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Yes that's correct.

I wonder how many were made. I don't see them often for sale here or eBay. Maybe people hold on to 'em, though i saw Pebber score one recently i classifieds - $325 or so for a mint looking Traditional. Sounds like a bargain. I see a Traditional up for sale now on german eBay priced around $1100.
                  Henrik

Comment

Yeah, but ProMusictools overprices everything... have you seen what their BINs are on USED but clean USA Jacksons??? I cen get one new from the states for less, incl shipping and import taxes.

Comment

I don't know much about ProMusictools but i thought so too, the price was way over...

Zerberus, totally off topic here, where in Germany would i find the lowest price for a DK2M SW... you think?
                      Henrik

Comment

I have an SD2 I got from a fellow forum member. Super nice axe, but it has a dinky body, 24 frets, wilki, and that funky headstock. NOTHING like the original SD. The only thing I could compare to the originals is the neck back shape. Bottom line is, for MY taste, I like it better than any original I've played.
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

They are nice guitars but yes mojo makes me blind...
                          Same crew built the guitars - Still a bit different form the early ones.
                          Great Guitars - but not a 80's
                          1-3/4" nut 21, fret maple/maple, single hum with brass trem will always be the best in my book - Oh yeah a graphic helps -- D'OH

Comment

My #1 strat is a traditional SD series... great guitar!

Pete

Comment

I've only ever played an old san dimas, and it wasn't a strathead so does that count? Anyways the SD model series are flat out awesome for the price. Thats the key thing. Where as an original san dimas can run you as much as 3 to 4x the price, the 90's ones can be had easily for under a grand. They are a STEAL. Thats why you see so few for sale. The resale on them isn't good for how awesome they are. The most common ones to see are the model I and II. The III and IV (particularly IV) are much harder to find. I've been looking for a III or IV for awhile and when they come up its usually overseas or I have no money at the time. I'm dying to get a Model III or IV in koa (they did make the IV in Koa right?).

Comment

Working...
                              X