Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/N 7159: Inspired by Jack Butler

Hey gang.

Okay, so in 1987 I became totally obsessed with this guitar after watching Steve Vai play one just like it in "Crossroads." At that exact point in time, my first guitar was on order through J.C. Penny. Yeah.

Anyway, flash forward almost 20 years and here she is. Nothing really fancy, just a San Dimas 2H w/ Floyd and maple board in the standard Ferrari Red, but boy howdy was it an adventure getting my hands on this one.

She's an awesome plank o' wood. I've never played anything quite like her; within an hour of picking her up she was a weird extension of my arms and no longer some carved up piece of dead tree. Sonically she's great, but it's the feel that is simply beyond belief -- she blows the doors off of anything else I've got including the Jackson WR-1 oiled-neck she replaced.

Many thanks to Matt for getting her to me and keeping me sane throughout the process, John Walker for giving a helping hand, and to John the mystery man at FMIC's customer support hotline. Never woulda happened without ya. Also kudos to UPS for getting her from southern California to New England and then back to southern California in one piece.

This is her, which is my Charvie:

In her native habitat:
    Last edited by JohnnyRasgueado; 05-28-2006, 10:55 AM. Reason: Put images inline with post
    「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

that looks awesome and very butleresque indeed !

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDBT8...%20steve%20vai)

Comment

very cool..nice matching red solando amp too....congrats
      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Cool dude, nice pairing of amp and guitar.
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Pebber:

Dude, many thanks for the video link! No matter how many times I see it, I still cry at the end. Especially when he drops the Charvel ... sob sob.

Joe and Buyer:

Thanks for the kind words! At some point I'm gonna have to swap out the 1960AV for a matching red lizard cab and go for the whole "Big Red" look. Still not as cool as an original red JCM 800 2203 stack, but ... well, it sounds better and is way less heavy. Now Nigel Tufnel's 21-foot high stack, on the other hand ...
          「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Just swap the floyd for a chrome one and I think you are good to go!! Nice fiddle man!

Comment

That is way cool!!Always loved that guitar too!!Agreed with the chrome Floyd idea!!Congrats man!!

Comment

Coolness!

Comment

Chrome Floyd: Totally!

Now that I think about it, the chrome great not just for the chrome/black hardware contrast and "better Butler authenticity," but also for that awesome early '80s "I just installed this crazy aftermarket thing called a 'double locking vibrato' in my Strat ..." look. Helllzzzz yeah!
                  「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

I must admit..that is an awesome guitar! I should say THEY are awesome guitars...yours and the Jack Butler piece.

I agree, switch it to a chrome floyd!

I did that on my KV2. A big fan or Robbin's BIG RED, I have Little Red. After watching the You Think You're Tough vid when BR had a chrome one, I switched it.

Enjoy that guitar....and I know exactly how you feel! I have an '06 candy blue maple single hum with a floyd. It kicks the **** out of my '82 Jack Butler type(gold hardware).

Comment

Wow, beautiful guitar, beautiful amp. You have excellent taste.

Comment

Cool man, very nice! From the Vai site:

Hey Steve, I'm big fan of yours. What was your rig in Flexable? Did u use a Carvin amp like those seen in the 'crossroads'? When did u start using the JEM's?
                        - Martin Philip Bengson

S - "For Crossroads I was using a Carvin X-100B amp along with a Charvel guitar
                        that turned into my Green meanie guitar. I was using an MXR distortion, Cry
                        Baby Wha Wha and a Roland SDE 3000 for delay."

Steve designed and began using the Jem in 1987.
                        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Nice one. Classic Charvie! Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by pebber
                            that looks awesome and very butleresque indeed !

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDBT8...20steve%20vai)

Cool! Never seen that before. (Oofah)
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

She's a beauty, and it's good to hear she's a great player! Congrats! The wait for my red strathead just got even more excruciating...

Comment

Working...
                              X