Black/Yellow chevron stripes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black/Yellow chevron stripes....

Here's a Bullseye I had refinned by Paul at Bighead. Unfortunately, the circles from the old BE graphic can be seen through new paint and it has to go back to be re-refinned. He says the massive humidity here in Tn. allowed the new paint to settle in the grooves of the old graphic. I was not pleased to say the least, but he's going to make it right. The old graphic should have been removed completely. Anyway, this is a pic from a few feet away that shows what it will look like when finished.

Here's a pic up close.

Crazy ain't it?!! Paul said that the graphics were all the way into the wood from the factory, and that he's seen this several times lately, but only on newer Charvel bodies.
    Last edited by circle of the tyrants; 08-02-2006, 09:48 AM.

Originally posted by circle of the tyrants
    Paul said that the graphics were all the way into the wood from the factory, and that he's seen this several times lately, but only on newer Charvel bodies.
    What, like they stamp the wood with the pattern? That doesn't make much sense. Either way, a refin should have been down to the wood, not over the old paint - unless the price is right, I guess.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk
      What, like they stamp the wood with the pattern? That doesn't make much sense. Either way, a refin should have been down to the wood, not over the old paint - unless the price is right, I guess.
      It should have DEFINITELY been sanded down, at least to the first layer of primer, but certainly beyond the graphic. There's no doubt in my mind that the graphics didn't go into the wood. Besides, this wasn't a $100 paint job.

Comment

With Paul, I don't allow him to do anything but paint on a surface ready to go. He can do graphics very well, but I do all the prep work including the primer. I would have removed all the finish and sealed and primed for him. You would expect that it would be done for you. I guess you have to specify exactly what you need done.

Yeah, the humidity excuse is not completely accurate, although it is one of many contributing factors.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Humidity? Ha! That's not what caused that. It's called improper prep work. My guess is he just cleaned and scuffed the old finish, and painted over it. If he actually sanded it, you'd never see the old graphic. Looks like a nice job otherwise, and I'm glad he's going to make it right.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by circle of the tyrants
            Crazy ain't it?!! Paul said that the graphics were all the way into the wood from the factory
            That's no excuse to do the shitty prep job he apparently did. (Edit: Mark beat me to it).

I wonder what he meant by "all the way into the wood"... Sure sounds crazy.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I was thinking of sending him a guitar to disassemble and refin and then reassemble. Perhap's this is not a good Idea.While we are on the subject of refins,would really screw with the value of a Charvel if it only has an oil finish?

Comment

Depending on what kind of paint was used, the new paint will remelt and sink into the old paint. The solvents in the new paint will cause the old paint lines to become visible and sometimes even show some color through it. You always have to sand off the old graphic before doing the new one, period. If you can go to the primer, even better. Most guitars are filled and primed in polyester, which won't sink and won't crosslink to the new finish, so unless a different type of primer was used, it's not necessary to sand all the way to the wood. I've made the same mistake as Paul, but then again, he's a much more accomplished painter than myself. I would think that Paul would know better dealing with wood painting. I have really admired his work.

Comment

bad refin dude......

Comment

Originally posted by eddie_van_earache
                    bad refin dude......
                    That sucks! Well, at least he is going to make it right.

Comment

good of him to take it back, id be sending it back quick smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1
                        I was thinking of sending him a guitar to disassemble and refin and then reassemble. Perhap's this is not a good Idea.While we are on the subject of refins,would really screw with the value of a Charvel if it only has an oil finish?
                        I'll tell you there are several members here that have sent their guitars back to him to be corrected. He will make it right however. He does really good work, the price is right, and he has a guitar of mine right now. Sometimes I wonder though, with blunders like this one. It seems to me it will cost him in the long run and mess up his schedule.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Paint can do some odd things in humid conditions.If you spray nitro from one manufacturer that you normaly don't use you never know what will happen.Some sealers react differently to different paints.Some times you can shoot a flawless sealer,primer then shoot the final coat and it goes all to hell.Hes doing the ony thing he can by redoing it.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

In this case, I don't think it would matter much.

I know a little something about the way these bullseyes are done...watched Dan Lawrence do a few.

They are done with tape that is CUT with an exacto knife to make the circles. The tape is then removed after being sprayed to leave the base coat color as the bullseye.

I think what you are seeing is the indent of the exacto blade in the wood which obviously wouldn't really be visible with the original bullseye graphic.

No matter what you do here, short of a re-top on the body, yer gonna see those lines. Similar to lam-lines on older Jacksons.

LOVE that graphic & colors, looks killer old-school.
                            Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 08-06-2006, 02:14 PM.
                            Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Working...
                            X