Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craigslist find - San Dimas 5121 - Parts mutt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist find - San Dimas 5121 - Parts mutt?

I bought this guitar on Craigslist a couple of days ago. I've been an avid reader of this forum, and would like to hear the opinions of anyone who would be able to identify some things. Supposably, the seller purchased this guitar in 1989. The guitar was listed for $500, and when he said the San Dimas plate serial number was 5121, I had to check it out.

Many things made me think this was a parts mutt, tho. In the first photo I received, the control cavity shape was not correct. I thought that since all San Dimas Charvels were customs, well, maybe... The JT6 tremolo didn't seem right - I would think it would be an original Floyd Rose. Later when I was looking at the guitar (in a Taco Hell parking lot), the control cavity did not have the expected brass shielding that would exist in 80's Charvels. It needs a JT6 stringlock for sure. However, I believed that the neck is real as well as the plate. The hardware for the controls (switches, knobs) are identical to those on my Model 6, as well as the jackplate. I'm pretty sure this is an authentic neck & plate on an unknown body (even though the erie dess/firecrackle paint seems very JC).

I would like to know what you think. I am correct in thinking I bought a parts mutt with some good pieces, right? I would definitely like to know if I can find out if the plate is real. The number written on the neck does not match the plate. The guitar is very resonant - different than my Model 6 in many ways but similar as well. Definitely seems to be worth what I paid for it. Thanks for reading and/or responding. Peace -

Charvel neck and neck plate mated with some unknown body. Very cool but a parts guitar. BTW the number written on the neck is the work order (invoice) number and NOT a serial number and should not match with the serial.
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Yeah, parts mutt. Neck plate and neck look real, but the rest is not Charvel.

Comment

Hmm, expensive neck & plate.....

Comment

Originally posted by SGplayer
          Hmm, expensive neck & plate.....
          Yeah, considering it would have been on an Ontario guitar with that high a serial number anyway.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The body is familiar to me. It has nightswan features but isnt one. The parts are well worth $500 if thats what you paid. The plate and neck could fetch that alone depending on the market. Then you got pickups and bridge. You did fine.

How does it play? How does it feel in your hands? That at the end of the day is what is important.

Comment

mutt or not, I think it's cool as feck. Nice grab, dude!
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                Yeah, considering it would have been on an Ontario guitar with that high a serial number anyway.
                You might be thinking in terms of Jackson plates, Joe. SD Charvels had plates up to #5491.

Comment

Body is way too thick to be a C/J also.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

dpivar, is it the heavy jpeg compression in the picture or does it have extensive orange peel on the headstock face?

Looking at this picture it seems like a refinish or somethin'...

Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

That is a pretty cool find, regardless of its pedigree. Congrats!
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                        dpivar, is it the heavy jpeg compression in the picture or does it have extensive orange peel on the headstock face?

Looking at this picture it seems like a refinish or somethin'...

I was thinking the same thing......does not look factory to me.
                        Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                          Body is way too thick to be a C/J also.
                          perhaps for a strat/dinky body but all the C/J stars and explorers i've owned have been thick as heck.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by dg
                            You might be thinking in terms of Jackson plates, Joe. SD Charvels had plates up to #5491.
                            Ah, maybe I am thinking of Jackson. My bad!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks eveyone for your comments. It also came with a case that is in really good condition - it may be original since it looks like other cases I've seen with 80's Charvels. I do wonder what the heck happened to the original body that was so bad that it had to be parted out...

The EMG 85 sounds awesome, and the guitar plays great. Once I locate a JT-6 string lock, add another EMG, I should be good to go.

In regards to peel on the headstock - I'm not sure what to look for. I'm attaching a couple of other pictures if this helps. It doesn't seem like the headstock was repainted.

Thanks again everyone for your responses. I visit this site every day and learn new things all the time - it is an excellent resource whose value can't be measured.

Comment

Working...
                              X