New Learn Strathead #7199

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Learn Strathead #7199

I've been gassing for new strathead and gassing for a Mike Learn graphic so when I saw the Tollkeeper at DCGL I couldn't resist.
    Jason at DCGL was great to deal with....let me make a couple of payments...set the guitar up to my specs and even threw some free swag in the case...I'd definately buy another guitar from him.

The neck feels very similar to the Dweezil but the fretboard and constuction looks very different. I love 'em both and don't have a complaint about either (I'm by no means any kind of authority on SD neck profiles but both feel great).

The body is basswood and the jury is still out on that...I have read here that some don't like basswood. The guitar doesn't have nearly the bite my Dweezil and old DK-1 had but I'm hoping it's the TB-14. I ordered a TB-4 and hope when I put it in this weekend that problem is solved.

Sorry for the crappy pics....I'm not home when the sun is shining much and I wanted to snap some pics before I take off the neck and replace the PU this weekend. The flash really overstates the subtleness of this graphic.

You can see Mike's signature in the Tollkeeper's thumb

couldn't be happier!
    Last edited by vander; 09-27-2006, 08:06 PM.
    -Michael

Badass!!!!!!! Such a killer looking guitar...congrats!
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

awesome guitar, congrats. BTW that is a great looking pair you have there - and the amp is not too shabby either!

And agree Jason is a pleasure to deal with.
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Cool, nice guitar, and it looks like you're enjoying the Dweezil as well! Good stuff.

Comment

Wow, your gear is top notch!

Comment

Nice.... but what are you taking the neck off for?
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Nice.... but what are you taking the neck off for?
                I had the guitar tuned to c with 11-58's. The DCGL tech set it up really nice but the neck has moved a little bit and needs a little tweek on the truss rod.

I know it looks like I tried to showcase my amp in the pictures but it's the only wall that doesn't have something junky on it.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.
                -Michael

Comment

One of those babies is at my local guitar shop. I was in awe when I saw it(sorry, I don't have three grand to drop on it )

Nice axe! The dweezil could use a fretboard cleaning

Enjoy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JZ06 View Post
                    The dweezil could use a fretboard cleaning
                    I just scrubbed it with a toothbrush and Dr. stringfellow when I restrung it yesterday.
                    I play that guitar alot!
                    -Michael

Comment

Originally posted by vander View Post
                      I had the guitar tuned to c with 11-58's. The DCGL tech set it up really nice but the neck has moved a little bit and needs a little tweek on the truss rod.
                      I gotcha. In my head I was thinking you had some kind of sinister plan like putting on a toothepaste logo import neck or some other thing!
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Looks great. I noticed it has the same vol location as the EVH series. Is that common for direct mounted pups or the strathead?

Comment

yeah that's the perfect Vol location, not right under the Pup.

btw, most of the bolt-on Model series are basswood bodies and they sound fantastic. my Model 2 kills. the basswood on mine gives it some substantial heft too. it's not baddwood.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Great guitar. I love how the graphic has a sort of comic book-like quality to it. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                              yeah that's the perfect Vol location, not right under the Pup.

btw, most of the bolt-on Model series are basswood bodies and they sound fantastic. my Model 2 kills. the basswood on mine gives it some substantial heft too. it's not baddwood.
                              I agree on the vol location, thats the one thing I dont love about most guitars is the vol location.

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              Great guitar. I love how the graphic has a sort of comic book-like quality to it. Congrats.
                              Yeah, that graphic ROCKS
                              Guitars:
                              '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                              '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                              '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                              Amp:
                              VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                              X