Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killer axe!!!

Congrats1
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by palepainter View Post
      Killer axe!!!

Congrats1
      Thanks Mike!

Your work is really amazing. The people who have seen the guitar in person have all been floored by it. I wish I could take some pictures that really showed it off properly.

Keep up the good work
      -Michael

Comment

Congrats, that looks awesome! I thought the volume knob looked more "out of the way" that most J/Cs but I just assumed it was my eyes. Like Skorb said, that is much better than right under the pup.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Nice guitar! I think it needs color and a neck pickup, though.

Comment

No, one Hums rule!!

Comment

That is a very cool graphic - nice score

craig

Comment

D'oh! I just looked at the pic again and realized it's *not* giving the finger - still very cool

craig

Comment

Enjoy, that baby is special!

Comment

my maple 'dimas' become dirty quickly also.

a little bit of polish cleans the board up nicely.

once again, KILLER axe!

Comment

First off, very nice guitar.

Regarding the tone issue- this is just my opinion- but the problem may stem
                      from your playing preferences. What I'm saying is that basswood has some fine properties and can sound very good on a locking trem guitar. I think your slight dissatisfaction with the tone is that this guitar would work better in standard tuning or Eb tuning. When you're tuned that low with heavy-guage strings, my opinion is that basswood will be a bit muddier and less crisp. It doesn't work as well with the lower frequencies. Changing the pickup may help (as that is always a big factor), but you may also want to experiment with, for example, 10s at a half-step down.

Best of luck!
                      GM,
                      www.aftershok.com

Comment

You may be right...I guess I will be finding out this weekend.

The dweezil is strung with .010's in drop D and I really bought this guitar for C tuning and it seems the motif of the guitar suits the music typically played in C.

The guitar doesn't sound bad or muddy...it just sounds like it's lacking some midrange and the output isn't hot enough.

If the JB doens't cure it then I can just string it up with tens and drop the dweezil down to C....I have before and know that guitar sounds good there.

Either way....no worries....I'm just happy to own it.

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words.
                        -Michael

Comment

Originally posted by gort View Post
                          Nice guitar! I think it needs color and a neck pickup, though.
                          I dig all Mike's stuff including the flames and whatnot.

This one struck as me as especially cool because it's not so blatant and over the top. Like I said in the original post...the flash really makes the character stand out.
                          In a normally lit room you almost have to strain to make out the silouette, like it is really in the shadows. The lighter shades aren't nearly as bright as they seem in the pics. Except for the whites of the little skulls eyes...the brightest shade on this guitar is dark grey.

I would like to get another guitar with a neck pickup someday..but I'm digging these new Charvels too much right now.
                          Last edited by vander; 09-28-2006, 08:52 PM.
                          -Michael

Comment

awesome guitar for sure, but you must be kidding about the pickup?
                            IMO, the TB-14 has more bite and balls than the TB-4 ever had!!

congrats

Comment

The JB came in yesterday and I installed it last night. The direct mounted pickups are much less hassle to replace than ring mounted....that is after you drill out the screw holes. The skunk stripe truss adjustment is easier as well.

Now I'm really happy with the tone. The TB-14 sounded really weak and scooped in comparison...like the volume knob was half open and the amp's presence was set to zero...at least to my ears.
                              I'm no expert on TB-14s or Basswood, as this is my first of both, but this combination for me is much better.

One last picture I took outside this morning which comes a little closer to accurately capturing the finish. I shall bother you all with no more after this....I just really love this guitar.

-Michael

Comment

Michael, Enjoy it. I like the way the skulls eyes stand out. I bet you'll be playing that one a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X