NOS trem available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS trem available?

Probably been answered a zillion times but I couldn't find it so here goes! I am going to build a Star based around my NOS neck I have had for 15 years.

Are the "NOS" trems available again as parts now that Fender is making the new SD Charvels? I imagine they are having the same guy make them who makes all their other pieces parts who also made them back in the day. Looking for the easy way to get one without having to bug the guy.

Also are the gold tuners aailable? I notise the Shallers look pretty good although I don't have my reference here. I recall the gold being really thin and almost pale yellow not a bright gold. It was worn off on most of the tuner knobs.

For the paint scheme I am looking to copy my old pink star. But with Lake placid blue with black edges. Gold hardware, rosewood board. Single hum.
    Last edited by Ian Anderson; 10-02-2006, 04:57 AM.

Ian
    I PM'd on the trem question
    Monte

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Anderson View Post
      Are the "NOS" trems available again as parts now that Fender is making the new SD Charvels?
      Good question. I'd like to know as well because I am in search of one too.

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

In the past Fender had placed exclusive dates on their new parts of 1 - 3 years before allowing them to be sold as accessories.
        The s1 switch has another year to go as an example.
        So it may be possible that NOS trems have been placed in that circumstance.
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

On the NOS Brass Trems go online to eBay. Michael Charvel has new ones for sale from time to time. His seller name is mcharvel. If you call Wayne Guitars, you may be able to get one right away.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Not sure, but they say "taking orders" on v-trems.

Comment

I always thought that this guy http://www.merlin5products.com makes the NOS trems. Perhaps just write him a mail?

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                http://www.sandimasbrass.net/

Not sure, but they say "taking orders" on v-trems.
                Yeah, they have been taking orders for over a year now I contacted them about a hardtail bridge about a year ago and nothing happened, then their website was gone for awhile.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I know Bill from Merlin 5. He makes them. He and I have done business in the past through my job but I got one coming from Monte. Thanks!

Comment

I got the trem today thanks Monte!!!

The "NOS" trem is adequate I would say. The best thing currently going to replicate the original brass trem. Not that a brass trem is anyhting to write home about but it is part of the mojo! I think the term NOS in regards to these Sd replica parts is a bit of a misnomer. NOS means new old stock. This and some of the other brass parts I have found are replicas.

A few things differ from the original from my recollection. I don't have one here to compare anymore so keep that in mind but I did spend a good 16 years rocking one daily. The screws and springs are chrome. Originals were black to my recollection. and the bent up back piece is too tall and the holes are drilled too high. What this does is when the action is set right, nice and low to the body the saddles are forced downwards. With a properly machined bridge the saddles should be level or in a slight incline.

Also overall it's abit blocky. I'd be tempted to smooth it out a bit and refinish it if I were a complete lunatick.

Good! :

Not as good: Repro brass trem
                    Last edited by Ian Anderson; 10-13-2006, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X