Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1475 Help needed for restoration

Hi,

I recently got this guitar but unfortunately it's in a very bad shape. Almost everything original seems to be ripped apart over the years and swapped with something else.
    I assume it originally should have been a hard tail body made of swamp ash or ash (it's got these string-thru-body sleeves on the backside...), the original pu line up is out of recognition, must have been H-S-S, S-S-S or even one single Humbucker (it's now equipped with one DiMarzio HB), the body is nearly destroyed. A former owner drilled holes in it instead of having it milled in order to attach that DiMarzio HB and a Kahler trem, the PG is self made (very shitty...). The guitar has a maple fingerboard with additional mounted top lock to fit the kahler trem. The original Tuners have been swapped to black Grovers. The color seems to be original red with a thin dark red line following the silhouette of the body.

I would be very glad if you could help me figuring out what the original setup could have been and how to find the missing parts .

Right at the moment the body is restored by a guitar builder so I've to provide photos later... but it looks quite similar to montes #1232 except for the rose-wood or ebony board: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60087

and... by the way... sorry for my miserable english

Welcome Mudshark!!Difficult to say without pics!!Cool score....congrats!!

Comment

Hi Mudshark! Welcome to the board. There´s a guitar show in Hamburg on 22.October /Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe. if you´re interested.

Comment

Hello Mudshark

Interesting dilema. As a restorer of beaters I feel your pain. Pics are a must. There is also the hardtail issue..... hmmm I would have to see the body to give you some feedback on that one.

If yopu have pictures, send them and I will post them for you

Kevin
        [email protected]
        It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

welcome mudshark - cool intro. btw, your english is better than most americans
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thanks for your answers (and of course your sympathies ) I'll try to provide the pics asap.

What about that guitar show at the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, 5074charvel, I'm really interested but can't find any info on it on the museums website...

Comment

Would that be one of Robert Witte's guitars? I seem to remember he lent out some of his to a Museum....
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

sorry, I messed up. It´s the Musem für Hamburgische Geschichte. All I found is this Link:

Comment

Working...
                X