Routing behind trem on non recessed trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing behind trem on non recessed trem

Has anyone done this?, I had checked out a new San Dimas and as you know, you can only pull up about a whole step. So has any one routed out just enough behind the trem in order to pull up more?

Nope, not I.

Comment

I you thinking are considering a late 80s Jackson style "1/2 route" (The trem still sits in the same place like on a standard flat mounted floyd, but there a route under the rear of the trem only so you can pull up). Best of both worlds IMHO. Jackon did this for a while and then stopped for whatever reason. I have an '89 KV with this option.

I would not do this personally to a new guitar, but I guess you could try if you have the skill (or a good luthier). I would be concerned about the trem cavity wall being a little too tight to have the option u are considering make a difference, but I am certainly not sure about that, just figured that I would mention it.
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Yeah, I just read over in the tech forum some older charvels also had something similar - I have no skill or tools myself, but that would be part of my ideal guitar

Comment

I have done the full recess many times but so far no one has asked for a 1/2 rout.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
            I have done the full recess many times but so far no one has asked for a 1/2 rout.
            Are you a luthier? what's a ballpark reasonable price for that??

Comment

I don't understand why this is not done on the new Charvels,I only like the recessed Floyd,this should be an option imo.

Comment

Because "most" of us charvel guys are looking for a reissue that is true to the original i.e. no recess for the trem. (unless you are talking about the infamous kalher to floyd abortion, which is just about the biggest turn-off there is IMHO!)
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Well i guess that's fine if they are only making guitars for the Charvel re-issue guys. But for those like me,who like progress lol...i would like to see a recessed floyd,why have a floyd and only use it to half it's potential? I mean did these guitars not progress from V-trems to Kahlers and Floyds? C'mon it's 2006 let's get a recess option already for those of us who love the guitars but arent anal about it not being like an original.

Comment

Working...
                  X