No announcement yet.

Plain Jane'rs - Increased Appreciation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plain Jane'rs - Increased Appreciation?

As my guitar collection has grown over time and gotten larger - perhaps too large? - I find myself valuing "balance" in the personal stable more and more.

Part of this is a personal preference for variety - I love having different woods, hardware color, pickups, layouts, even body styles to a lesser extent.

Naturally, this includes enjoying different types of finishes, too. Don't get me wrong - of course, I'll always love a killer graphic or gorgeous flame/quilt-top. But, lately, I seem to be appreciating plain jane'r solid finishes more and more.

I don't mean white or black "plain". I mean solids, generally. Candy apple red, greens, yellows, pavo purple, whatever. Very cool solid colors. I really wish we'd see more of this in the J/C lines, including the new stratheads. I seem to be taking more of an appreciation for them than I used to. That goes for non-maple fingerboards, as well. Maybe there's a connection? Or, I don't know, maybe they're both a product of easing into becoming an old fart? Anyone else feel this way, too?
    Last edited by shreddermon; 11-03-2006, 10:54 AM.

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
    Anyone else feel this way, too?
    Nope.

Comment

I am going the other way. Need more Quilt top bursts.

Comment

same here Quilt tops a dn Flame tops appeal to me much more thatn a solid color (unless it's white with black body binding)
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I know where you are coming from Shreddermon . I don't like quilts ... too much bling for me . Would be afraid to play a guitar like that . I can deal with a good flame top though .
          Solid colours are my favourite .
          Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

No, no, no. I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I love quilts, love flame-tops, love graphics. That will never change. They all kick ass.

But, whereas those are coolness, I find myself thinking solid colors are JUST AS COOL now. Before, solids used to be "meh" to me. Nice, but a notch below a trans-top or graphic in terms of my preferences.

Now, I appreciate a solid metallic candy purple guitar just as much as a trans purple flame-top or purple hot rod flame job graphic. I find myself appreciating them all with equal weight.

Comment

Basic colors don't do it for me anymore . I have 7 guitars and only 2 are basic, but they are my best players. 2 1986 charvel model 6's and one of them I bought 18 years ago.
              Last edited by Rich#6; 11-03-2006, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Guess I didn't know where you were coming from LOL . Still rather have solid than flame and de not like quilt .
                I have to admit a Les Paul looks good with a nice flame .
                Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

I am an absolute SUCKER for a snow white with matching headstock.

I dont care if its a Hondo.....
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I personaly don't care for graphics on a guitar.
                    I prefer natural finishes the most, then a good sunburst or solid color.
                    -Rick

Comment

I prefer basic no frills guitar appearances. The first electrics were usually natural, solid or burst.

Comment

I never cared for flame paint jobs and wild schemes/graphics. Eerie dess was as far as I went liking graphics.

Pretty much plain jane does it for me...though I do have a weak spot for Pearl White.

Comment

Funny thing is I mostly agree as to the "plain jane" charvels (but I still like maple and to a lessor degree ebony for the board). I think my issue may be that I am not actually a huge fan of the majority of the old graphics, so finding one that meets all the spec in a guitar is next to impossible (for me to own that is, love to check them out in person and on line of course), so when it comes to graphics I am more interested in my own specs of what is cool - thus for all of my new guitar purchases over the last few years, I have gone with cool graphics. For old ones on the other hand, I have gone with solid colors and I could not be happier as I was able to get the rest of my specs met for the most part like headstock preference, 22 frets and a floyd etc.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I like plain colored guitars and to expand on that plain shaped guitars, maybe because I think a guitar should be kind of like a blank canvas, and not inspire too much emotion with it's looks:

Extreme examples:

Also, for example a Paul Reed Smith quintuple AAAAA flamed maple top inspires me to break out the Silver tea service and serve tea on that piece of...uh unparralled craftsmanship.
                            Last edited by tanpsi; 11-03-2006, 07:42 PM.

Comment

+1 shreddermon, when I first got into Charvels it was graphics or nothing. Now I am digging the cool solid colors (like my new pink Strat Head) just as much.
                              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Working...
                              X