Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Guitar Legit?

Hey guys...
    I just won this auction....is this guitar legit? The description...

FYI~ It is a San Dimas IIIW There were 30 of each color made for guitar center in 1995 with Lace pickups, Solid Black Backs, and Wilkinson Trems. There were a total of 60 of these 30 in each color. G.C had requested a lower cost batch of the San Dimas series and these were made. The guitar should have a birdseye maple neck with a Pao Ferro board... hope this helps

Welcome, newguy, and congrats on that purchase.

Yes, it's a '95 Charvel "San Dimas III"

Don't know about the GC thing, but the IIIs had mahogany bodies, Pao Ferro fretboards, and OFR (Original Floyd Rose). They retailed for $1495 new.

Here's a catalog scan courtesy of JCFer jackson1:

His catalog site (consider donating!):
    Last edited by RacerX; 11-18-2006, 06:52 PM.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The IIIW is the San Dimas III with Wilkinson trem & was a production model for '96:

Maybe the story is right & the run for GC in '95 led them to make that a standard model for '96, or maybe it's a '96 IIIW with swapped pickups. Somebody here might know. Either way, those are great guitars & it's a beauty. Congrats & welcome to the JCF!

Comment

I now where a SDIII is tobacco burst, Wilky trem, Lace pickups Black body back.The neck is loaded with birdseye.The dealer won't go less than $1100.00.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

....I was a bit worried at first because there are a trillion fakes floating around but I decided to go for it anyway....seems like I got a real good deal.

Thanks for the help guys....I'm surprised I didn't check out this place sooner.....btw I picked up a Journeyman from the japanese 2002 reissues this week also and it kicks ass....thats what inspired this purchse

Comment

I had one of those but it was inferior to the one you bought - with crappy Dimarzio pups, a solid red finish and a cheapo bridge. The guitar was so boring I had to sell it immediately. It was built very well, though. Yours looks really good, its definately a good guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Welcome, newguy, and congrats on that purchase.

Yes, it's a '95 Charvel "San Dimas III"

Don't know about the GC thing, but the IIIs had mahogany bodies, Pao Ferro fretboards, and OFR (Original Floyd Rose). They retailed for $1495 new.

FWIW that description is mine to the sellers verbatim because he was unsure of what it was. I was told back in 94/95 by Sandy at the custom shop that these were done for GC as a lower cost alternative to the series. I originally owned same the guitar that I had bought directly from the rep. I was Alex Skolinks clinic guitar. I bought 2 SD series back then. a green SDIIIW and a purple SDIII. I sold the SDIIIW because I didn't like how it sounded or played compared to the Floyded SDIII ..

Hope the helps
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Working...
              X